Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

radio replacement recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 10:50 AM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Default radio replacement recommendations

Hello All,

New to this site but been on some others and this one seems active for what I need so hopefully you all can help me out.

My 12 Road Glide Ultra radio started giving me problems last year, mostly the faceplate lighting and then the display but had it also just stop working at times so this year I would like to replace it for an aftermarket radio verses sending this one out and pay out of pocket to be fixed.

I would like to upgrade to a marine unit to give me more protection because I do ride in the rain. Looking on the web I see marine units made by Sony, Kenwood, JVC and you can pick up a package (all wiring need to keep my handlebar controls) for around the same price. I don't need a CD player ,I mostly listen to the radio and have an Ipod to lay songs. Anyone have any suggestions on one or even a model?

I already have hogtunes speakers with amp.

Thanks

Old 04-14-2015, 11:51 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Redbank
Hello All,

New to this site but been on some others and this one seems active for what I need so hopefully you all can help me out.

My 12 Road Glide Ultra radio started giving me problems last year, mostly the faceplate lighting and then the display but had it also just stop working at times so this year I would like to replace it for an aftermarket radio verses sending this one out and pay out of pocket to be fixed.

I would like to upgrade to a marine unit to give me more protection because I do ride in the rain. Looking on the web I see marine units made by Sony, Kenwood, JVC and you can pick up a package (all wiring need to keep my handlebar controls) for around the same price. I don't need a CD player ,I mostly listen to the radio and have an Ipod to lay songs. Anyone have any suggestions on one or even a model?

I already have hogtunes speakers with amp.

Thanks
My suggestion as always is this head unit:

Amazon.com : Sony DSXS310BTX Bluetooth Digital Media Car Stereo Receiver with Pandora Control : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Sony DSXS310BTX Bluetooth Digital Media Car Stereo Receiver with Pandora Control : Car Electronics

And this rain cover:

http://www.vtwinaudio.com/store/prod...f-radio-cover/

One of the best out there IMO.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:32 AM
Redbank
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Gannicus

That rain cover is almost half the price of the radio

Old 04-15-2015, 11:55 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

I have a Road Glide also....it used to be a Street Glide that I had added an aftermarket radio into.

So, when I did my conversion, I reused my Hawg-Wired radio mounting system. It was snug....like really snug to get it to fit.

Once it was fitting, there was no option for a splash cover that could fit on a Road Glide.

This year I'm redoing my audio. I'm leaning towards the new Sony Marine headunit because of the display. It's much more visible on a Road Glide, especially considering the angle that the radio sits in a Road Glide fairing.

Anyway, all that to say, I also switched the mounting system over to the V-Twin Audio kit. The splash cover is the best I've seen, and I've seen others from when I was still on a batwing.

Pricey, yes....worth it...yes.

Old 04-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

As redbeard said..... Worth every penny!

Old 04-15-2015, 12:45 PM
Redbank
Cruiser

This year I'm redoing my audio. I'm leaning towards the new Sony Marine headunit because of the display. It's much more visible on a Road Glide, especially considering the angle that the radio sits in a Road Glide fairing.

I am looking at the Sony Mex-M70BT marine radio.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:07 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

I am looking at the Sony Mex-M70BT marine radio.
Yep, that's the one.

Although, I do like the one Gannicus posted too....I really don't need a CD player. Decisions, decisions!

Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 PM
Redbank
Cruiser

Sony does make a DSX-M50BT that doesn't have a CD player at a less expensive price, which I might go with that one. I like the one Gannicus suggested it just lacks the marine grade, as far as models are concerned I don't know the difference between the other features one has over the other. Although adding the cover you probably wouldn't need to have a marine grade. I imagine with the cover on it would be hard seeing the display.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Gonna stick around here more often.

Old 04-15-2015, 01:54 PM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't let the price of the splash guard scare you off. It's worth every penny, I've been caught in plenty of rain storms and I've had zero issues with it.

Old 04-15-2015, 02:14 PM
ALUCARD19
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the V-Twin rain cover I was caught in the rain last Friday for 4 hours and not 1 drop of water on my radio, it is worth every penny.

Quick Reply: radio replacement recommendations