Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input on my install plan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 07:58 AM
totalgearhead
Cruiser
Received 39 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Input on my install plan?

Hi all, I have been working on getting everything together for my install and here is what I will have:

just purchased a Power Acoustik Rz42000d Amp with 10 Gauge install kit
just purchased some Infinity Kappa 62.11i for the fairing lowers (will cover with CVO grilles)

already have on the bike Hogtunes 5.25 fairing speakers
already have on the bike hogtunes tweeterpod (painted to match my painted inner)

I have read a bunch of info here and understand that the tweeterpod and hogtunes speakers are not the best and should be replaced. At this point I am looking at getting my lower speakers up and running. I will upgrade my fairing speakers at a later date and possibly unhook the tweeterpod.

My install plans are to hook up the amp and run the speaker level inputs into it. I will leave the tweeter pod hooked up to the head unit before the amp.

I will run the fairing speakers off the front channel and lower speakers off the rear channel. Allowing me to control each set.

Looking for any feedback that I may have something really wrong with my plan. The only real item I question is the tweeterpod at this point and I think i'm putting it in the right place.

Thx.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

The tweeter pod will be fine running off the HU. The only potential issue I see with your set up is the Hog tune 2 ohm 5.25 speakers ability to handle the power from the PA. That little amp is a beast and I'm not sure the Hog tune speakers are up to the task. I'd turn my gains way down on what ever channel you run the hog tunes on. Eventually you will have to replace the hog tune speakers. They won't last long with the RZ4.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:24 PM
totalgearhead
Cruiser

Thx Gannicus, that's what I thought. Good to have your confirmation. I will pony up for BT titan II's in the near future to complete the system.

Old 04-12-2015, 08:22 AM
totalgearhead
Cruiser
Default Installed

did the install yesterday, all went as planned. I installed the amp and speakers as per my plan. The gains are about 9 o'clock for the hogtunes and 10-11 o'clock for the kappas. I would like to to the DMM method for the gains, but the amp numbers aren't actual and that's throwing me off (2000watts). The tweeterpod is all but useless now, just painted my inner last year, so i'll just leave it there for looks.

The only question I have is, when installing the amp what is the best practice for the wire ends into the amp? Tinning the wires, leave them bare or crimp a round terminal connector on them? I wouldn't want that 10ga wire coming off inside the fairing when riding! thx for looking.

Old 04-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by totalgearhead
did the install yesterday, all went as planned. I installed the amp and speakers as per my plan. The gains are about 9 o'clock for the hogtunes and 10-11 o'clock for the kappas. I would like to to the DMM method for the gains, but the amp numbers aren't actual and that's throwing me off (2000watts). The tweeterpod is all but useless now, just painted my inner last year, so i'll just leave it there for looks.

The only question I have is, when installing the amp what is the best practice for the wire ends into the amp? Tinning the wires, leave them bare or crimp a round terminal connector on them? I wouldn't want that 10ga wire coming off inside the fairing when riding! thx for looking.
Most guys just tin the wires. AAWAV tested that amp in a sticky on top of the forum. Your getting about 140 watts at 2 ohms. Don't pay any attention to the amp specs on the box. . .lol Now the big question is: How does it sound?

Old 04-13-2015, 05:33 AM
totalgearhead
Cruiser

Thanks again Gannicus, I will attempt the DMM method the next time I pull the fairing off. I went for my first ride of the season yesterday and the system rocks. The music on my ipod has a large impact on the sound. I am guessing the higher bitrate/quality songs are the ones that sound best. AC/DC cranks out at FULL volume @ 75mph without distortion. The biggest challenge in setting it up by ear was not pissing off all my neighbors! I love having a forum like this one, it really helps and makes things interesting! I will look to add some BT speakers to the fairing this summer.