Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats needed for install?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 03:19 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Whats needed for install?

Got my lowers and speakers in, getting ready to order the RZ4 amp I guess. I need to know what all I need to make this happen? Ill be running 6.5s in my lowers for now. I know I need a power and ground. What gauge? Ive also seen lots of talk about using quick connections for the wiring to take the bags off more easily. What are those and where can I get them.. Anything else Im missing?

I should also say Im gonna be using my phone to run everything. Im using a signal booster, line leveler and bluetooth module

Old 03-04-2015, 06:32 PM
osuhd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
Got my lowers and speakers in, getting ready to order the RZ4 amp I guess. I need to know what all I need to make this happen? Ill be running 6.5s in my lowers for now. I know I need a power and ground. What gauge? Ive also seen lots of talk about using quick connections for the wiring to take the bags off more easily. What are those and where can I get them.. Anything else Im missing?

I should also say Im gonna be using my phone to run everything. Im using a signal booster, line leveler and bluetooth module

Rz4 amp 4 channel?
I bought a wiring amp kit off amazon 8ga for my prb300x2 amp. Quick connection not really sure but there have been previous info on it post throughout

Old 03-04-2015, 06:39 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I got a
10 gauge amp wiring kit 10 gauge amp wiring kit
on Amazon.com for the power/ground leads for the amplifier (currently running the RZ4, but moving to the Biketronics BT4180 once I can feel my fingers in the garage!). As for my speakers, my lids are connected using two-pin http://www.cycleterminal.com/amp-multilock-070.html connectors to each lid. You'll need two pairs of connectors/pins: the speaker wires run out of the bags to under my seat where the connectors are connected to the speaker wires running out of the amp. I ran new dedicated 16 gauge speaker wire to the rear of the bike, since the Street Glide doesn't have a factory speaker harness going to the rear.

My setup might not be the "ideal" or "best", but it certainly makes music come out of the Hogtunes Lids with Pioneer TS-D6902R 6x9s!

Old 03-04-2015, 08:45 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior

yes the RZ4 is 4 channel.. Is that an issue?

Old 03-04-2015, 09:30 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Not at all...just leaves the rear channels for lid speakers! I mis-read your post! (thinking you were running speakers in the bags, not amp!). These guys offer a truly slick "amplifier in the bags" connector kit, but it's pricey.

I'm sure there are a few on here who have amps in the saddlebags who could offer actually useful (as opposed to my drivel!) advice on how to wire that setup.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:36 PM
HCC Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How many speakers are you planning to run?

Old 03-06-2015, 09:33 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior

Im just gonna run 2 6.5 biketronics in the lower fairings for right now

Old 03-07-2015, 10:26 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

10 ga is plenty big for power for such short runs on bikes. Amp kits pretty cheap vs sourcing wire connectors etc. For you speaker quick disconnects a 2 pin molex will work fine. Position Molex plugs up under back right side of inner fairing to shed them from rain and easy access since molex aren't waterproof.

http://www.parts-express.com/molex-2...m_campaign=pla

Old 03-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Spazz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by acchd
10 ga is plenty big for power for such short runs on bikes. Amp kits pretty cheap vs sourcing wire connectors etc. For you speaker quick disconnects a 2 pin molex will work fine. Position Molex plugs up under back right side of inner fairing to shed them from rain and easy access since molex aren't waterproof.

http://www.parts-express.com/molex-2...m_campaign=pla
Gm Delphi connectors are waterproof and very good and very cheap on amazon. $3

Old 03-09-2015, 02:16 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior

Got a link to the Delphi connectors?

Quick Reply: Whats needed for install?