Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014+' radio flash for aftermarket setups: donation thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:40 PM
Liquidoxygen
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rolled into my local dealer today and asked for a flash. My set up: pbr300x2 and Polk mm651. Asked him to flash for no amps and 8 speakers. I also asked if he could find the bin file 135 off.

I only waited ten minutes and the mechanic was rolling my bike out the door. After taking it home and re adjusting the gains holy crap is it loud and crystal clear. It is really flat with not a lot of base but the eq on my iPhone helps a little when streaming Bluetooth. I also still have control of bass and treble on the deck so that helps a little as well. I also got a piece of paper sayin the flash was set for non calibrated speakers And 135 off. "As requested by owner

Edit. Forgot to add radio software version. 17

Last edited by Liquidoxygen; 04-16-2015 at 06:59 PM.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:47 PM
rellim_63
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today i learned that pandora plays really quiet compared to other apps. So I still need to try music through the usb. Setup is fairly loud now, and clear sounding.

Old 04-17-2015, 01:55 PM
firemedic4500
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK Gents, here's another success story that makes no sense whatsoever.

Setup:

2014 FLHXS latest firmware
Rockford Fosgate Power T400x4AD (running 4 speakers off front two channels of Headunit)
Hybrid Audio Imagine 6.5's with BT brackets (no pods)
Hybrid Audio 5x7's in the bag lids.

Prior to flash Bin 00_off.bin (EQ Vers 2.1.2)
Amped tuned to the stock flash and sounded great in the driveway. Once bike is turned on, all bets are off. Sounded Tinny and no bass (mid-bass). Once you turn the ignition off, the radio cuts out for a second and comes on strong, sounds great.

Went to the dealer today, told them I needed the flash for an aftermarket system. They didn't look at me funny or anything. I asked to go back and watch the tech, but they wouldn't let me. So I figured, lets see what they can do. When they gave me the bike back, the service paperwork stated AMP 1 on and 4 speakers. I went out and checked Bin file and EQ Version and they did not change. Still 00_off.bin and EQ 2.1.2. Turned on the radio and it the volume was low. Rode home with volume almost max and could barely hear it on the highway 80mph. Retuned the amp to the new flash and got the sound exactly where I wanted it. Can barely turn it past half way now. Amp gain is around 6-7. No distortion at full volume, plenty of bass and highs. Neighbor came over and wondered what the hell was going on cause it was so loud. Took it for a spin and sounded great on the road too. Took it down a few country roads at around 90+ to see and could still hear it fine at 3/4 volume.

I am pleased with the results, but confused how this came about.

Old 04-17-2015, 07:03 PM
Dvdhotboy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by firemedic4500

Retuned the amp to the new flash and got the sound exactly where I wanted it. Can barely turn it past half way now. Amp gain is around 6-7.
So you removed the amp prior to flash? Or did you have to add a remote wire?

Last edited by Dvdhotboy; 04-17-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 09:49 AM
chrisrugFLHX
Intermediate

I got the amps off , 4 speakers. Eq is 1.10.1 or something. Bin file is 133_Off Its loud but flat . Bass treble hardly does anything . Not happy. techdidnt know how to choose bin file. Gonna go back and try amp 1 on. Grrrr!

Last edited by chrisrugFLHX; 04-20-2015 at 07:49 PM.
Old 04-19-2015, 12:13 PM
firemedic4500
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dvdhotboy
So you removed the amp prior to flash? Or did you have to add a remote wire?
No. Amps need to be tuned to their system. My amp has gain, frequency x-over and a "Punch EQ" (variable bass and treble boost). Prior to the flash, I tuned it to get the best sound out of the original setup (standard software DSP that comes with the bike). Once I had it flashed, I retuned it to match the new EQ curve that the flash installed. Doing so, made the sound so much better (bike on and off). Once you flash it, yes you need a remote wire due to the signal not being strong enough to turn on the amo through the speaker leads. I already had the remote installed prior to the flash, knowing that would be the case.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:06 AM
Maddman
Advanced

re-posting it here as well...
prior to installing my set up , arc moto 600.4, focal 165KRC's in faring, focal 570ac in lids, I went to dealer and asked for flash 1 and 2 on 8 speakers, first arguing with service writer then service manager and then tech joined in mayhem all telling me that it can not be done with out equip installed then I informed them that it wasn't hd stuff and they said they wont do it with aftermkt stuff, I finally convinced them to "try" with out anything installed, tech being adamant that it cant be done and service managers comment that go ahead and try let him waste his money (1/2 hour labor chg) tech in less that 5 mins after taking bike back come out with bike and said he only could load amp 1 and 2 on 4 speakers, asked him what bin file it was and he said he didn't know I told him how to get in and look and he wanted nothing to do with that, really? ok. so went to desk and pay they said no charge cause they, all claiming that nothing could be done without equip installed were wrong. now that all is installed sounds good but not great bin loaded is 00_off.bin.
Since I have to help tech if anyone can confirm procedure that I think is way to help dude load the bin file I want 135_off, when in does all he have to do is scroll to the bin file in the list

Old 04-20-2015, 12:29 PM
fallenhillbilly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Maddman
re-posting it here as well...
prior to installing my set up , arc moto 600.4, focal 165KRC's in faring, focal 570ac in lids, I went to dealer and asked for flash 1 and 2 on 8 speakers, first arguing with service writer then service manager and then tech joined in mayhem all telling me that it can not be done with out equip installed then I informed them that it wasn't hd stuff and they said they wont do it with aftermkt stuff, I finally convinced them to "try" with out anything installed, tech being adamant that it cant be done and service managers comment that go ahead and try let him waste his money (1/2 hour labor chg) tech in less that 5 mins after taking bike back come out with bike and said he only could load amp 1 and 2 on 4 speakers, asked him what bin file it was and he said he didn't know I told him how to get in and look and he wanted nothing to do with that, really? ok. so went to desk and pay they said no charge cause they, all claiming that nothing could be done without equip installed were wrong. now that all is installed sounds good but not great bin loaded is 00_off.bin.
Since I have to help tech if anyone can confirm procedure that I think is way to help dude load the bin file I want 135_off, when in does all he have to do is scroll to the bin file in the list
Hey.
couple of ways to get it..the way I got mine was amp 1 and amp 2 on 8 speaker.but you have to look under amp selection and tell it two amps to see the 8 speaker option..this way you have no fader.. there is a way to get to factory flat Eq..but no one can tell us how they got it yet. .still hoping. .

Old 04-20-2015, 07:54 PM
chrisrugFLHX
Intermediate

It seems many of the other bin files are getting similar results. flat sound. I wonder if flat EQ is the same crappy flat sound. Is anyone getting real noticeable BASS/TREB response and some mid bass punch that the flat sounding flashes arent getting

Old 04-20-2015, 09:07 PM
onewheat
Cruiser

I got flashed for 2 amps off and 8 speakers - it was the 135_off bin file and it sounded horrible with my BT4180. It sounded like I was listening to a clock radio. I went back to no amps and 4 speakers and it sounds incredible sitting in the garage but I think it begins distorting when I ride - obviously NOT a flat EQ. I do have fader, bass and treble but am looking at trying either the JL Audio Clean Sweep (if I can fit it in the fairing) or a pair of Magic Boxes to flatten out the sound profile. This is beyond frustrating.

Quick Reply: 2014+' radio flash for aftermarket setups: donation thread