Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014+' radio flash for aftermarket setups: donation thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 11:51 PM
onewheat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rellim_63
Before I got it flashed it sounded awful, but it was really loud.
I just got my 4180 and 7.1 Pros installed - not flashed yet. It sounds horrible and is not loud. It is distorting bad at 4 bars even with the bass turned ALL the way down. It may get louder but it is distorting so bad, I didn't turn it past 4 bars. I am hoping the flash will help me out or I will have a fit - guess I will see when it happens.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:15 AM
Spazz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by onewheat
I just got my 4180 and 7.1 Pros installed - not flashed yet. It sounds horrible and is not loud. It is distorting bad at 4 bars even with the bass turned ALL the way down. It may get louder but it is distorting so bad, I didn't turn it past 4 bars. I am hoping the flash will help me out or I will have a fit - guess I will see when it happens.
with the correct flash, you will be happy I'm sure. Without a flash, you are amplifying a boosted signal from the DSP in the HU. Once the EQ curve is flattened with the flash, you will see a MAJOR improvement.... WITH THE CORRECT FLASH... ( which is still a mystery to say the least )

Old 04-09-2015, 04:32 PM
HD_Doobie
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You should at least try the Magic Box. For $70 at least then you know. You can always sell it. Then you will never have to worry about a future update messing with your flash. It's plug and play so no cutting required. Soundz Customz is claiming on their page that the Magic Box does about 80% of what the PROPER flash does, and I would say that's pretty accurate. At least then it will buy you some time until maybe we get this figured out.

BTW, I am not affiliated with CS... I just know the box "helps"

Old 04-09-2015, 10:06 PM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HD_Doobie
You should at least try the Magic Box. For $70 at least then you know. You can always sell it. Then you will never have to worry about a future update messing with your flash. It's plug and play so no cutting required. Soundz Customz is claiming on their page that the Magic Box does about 80% of what the PROPER flash does, and I would say that's pretty accurate. At least then it will buy you some time until maybe we get this figured out.

BTW, I am not affiliated with CS... I just know the box "helps"

I ordered the "box" today for just that reason... something that's better than nothing while the flash thing gets solved. Price isn't bad, but it does torque me that they charge $15 shipping for something that would fit in a padded envelope shipped for $2.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:46 AM
onewheat
Cruiser

My appointment for the flash and dyno tuning is next Thursday - the waiting is going to kill me. I would have loved to go riding this weekend, since I have nothing going on but I'm pretty sure I would be WAY lean right now with the pipes and intake - be patient Grasshopper.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:10 PM
Hozzie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put in my BT2180 and 7.1's (non pro) and had the dealer reflash my bike. They said the dealer that did it before didn't have any amps on, which meant I was running no amp, 4 speakers. They flashed it to 1 amp, 4 speakers (128_off).

I have to admit, when I first put in the BT amp and speakers I was pretty disappointed as with the original flash, the PBR300X2 and Kappa's had more volume. I could turn up the BT setup all the way and it wasn't really that loud and didn't sound great.

After the flash, it sounded about the same. The service manager was really cool about it. We discussed it a bit and decided I should try and set the gains on the line converter and see if that helped or he would flash again for me to something else.

I checked the voltage coming out of the amp and it was only like 13.5v, so I turn up the gains until I got to about 22 volts. According to my setup, I calculated it should have been up around 27v, but I didn't want to push it. I have a lot more volume now, closer to what I expected, but it seems I now have a much harder time with the bass and treble settings between the tuner and bluetooth.

The BT setup is definitely less tinny than the PBR and Kappa setup, but I am not sure as it stands that I think it is worth all the extra cost and hassle it took to swap out. That may all change when these flashes get worked out (if they ever do).

Old 04-10-2015, 12:11 PM
twilson616
6th Gear

Originally Posted by fallenhillbilly
This is what I have been saying for a while. .Radio does not have the A** that the older ones had when you flash them to work with a amp..It's like you kill the output of the radio to the amp..you should not have to be at 2 click from max to hear it at 70 mph..you should be at 4 to 5 volume clicks from 0..that was plenty for the old radio with amps...but that's where we are for now..makes me sick for the money I spent.
Like many others I'm at 135_OFF. Amp gains are set way higher than what I think they should be due to the poor voltage out of the head unit. I've considered trying to find a powered line driver that will fit under the fairing to help with this. Something like the PAC PDLC21 instead of the passive line converters that most are using. Frustrating after all the money spent on high end components that I'm only slightly louder if any than stock (albeit with better sound quality).

Old 04-11-2015, 02:13 AM
onewheat
Cruiser

Originally Posted by twilson616
Like many others I'm at 135_OFF. Amp gains are set way higher than what I think they should be due to the poor voltage out of the head unit. I've considered trying to find a powered line driver that will fit under the fairing to help with this. Something like the PAC PDLC21 instead of the passive line converters that most are using. Frustrating after all the money spent on high end components that I'm only slightly louder if any than stock (albeit with better sound quality).
Has anyone tried anything like this? Although I do see this helping with the low output of the stock head unit, it doesn't do anything about the DPS and the lack of a flat curve.

What about something like this - JL Audio CL441 Clean Sweep? It supposedly flattens out the EQ but then again, it's ANOTHER $300. I'm nervously awaiting my flash - I have never had this much cash wrapped up in a car stereo and I have had some kick-*** car stereos.

"The CleanSweep connects to your factory radio's speaker wires, then takes the output of your factory radio and eliminates the peaks and valleys of the preset equalization, leaving a pure, unadulterated signal for your aftermarket amplifiers, speakers, and subs to work with. Your music will spring to life, with resonant lows, sparkling highs, and a realistic sense of depth and presence."

Last edited by onewheat; 04-11-2015 at 02:20 AM. Reason: Add information
Old 04-11-2015, 08:51 AM
Bikerscum
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

"The CleanSweep connects to your factory radio's speaker wires, then takes the output of your factory radio and eliminates the peaks and valleys of the preset equalization, leaving a pure, unadulterated signal for your aftermarket amplifiers, speakers, and subs to work with. Your music will spring to life, with resonant lows, sparkling highs, and a realistic sense of depth and presence."
Isn't that what the magic box is supposed to do, without the poetry?

There's a refurb unit online for $169... hmmmmmm......

Last edited by Bikerscum; 04-11-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:19 AM
fallenhillbilly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can someone that has the factory flat EQ screen just tell us how they got it..what flash did they use..we know it's out there now..this should be simple enough..or tell us what shop did it.I will have my dealer call them and talk to them directly..looks like we're a lot closer to finding the answer with the new results some are getting..help a brother out..we all want the same results. .Thanks

Quick Reply: 2014+' radio flash for aftermarket setups: donation thread