Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audio not as crisp as I'd like...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 05:17 PM
sgr60
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Audio not as crisp as I'd like...

Could this be due to using too much poly-fill? I used three layers of the thin material. The speakers sound a tad muffled. I have plenty of volume, just looking for a cleaner more crisp sound.

This isn't a huge issue, they sound really good, just not great.

The system is a PBR300x2 with infinity kappa 62.11i speakers. And the gain is set at 5.

Just curious...

Old 02-26-2015, 05:42 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

I had this same issue when I first installed a PBR and Kappas and the stock HU. It sounded great in my garage but on the HWY not so much. Better than stock of course. I went and got a Sony HU, and it got better but still not as crisp or clear as I thought it would be. I figured the Kappa’s just weren’t that crisp or clear and loud volumes. Well after speaking with the smart guys on the forum, it was recommend I change amps to an RZ42000D if I didn’t mind risking losing FM reception. Guess what --- the Kappas sounded like different speakers. They also sounded even better when I connected them to a PPI900.4 amp. I used 3 layers of the thin polyfill. The PBR is small, convenient, well priced and keeps FM reception so it’s suggested quite a bit. The HU also has it’s limitations.

What are your settings on the HU? Remember to turn down your AVC.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:30 PM
sgr60
Tourer

Thanks - glad to hear it's not just me. FM reception is key for me, so I guess Ive got what I've got for now.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:42 PM
osuhd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had bike out for a quick ride and just installed the infinity kappa and pbr300x2 amp and agree with the opening post. Still using a stock head unit, while riding for only 20 minutes or so it did seem that great. I had to crank up the radio to hear it. Sounded better than stock for sure but I'm thinking the head unit is the weak link, and questioning if I should have done the plus 3db on the kappa (pressed in the button on the speakers)
Leaning towards an aftermarket head unit, probably sell the stock one locally or ebay. As for buying a new amp would prefer not to, biketronics stuff was an option but set a budget for all I wanted on the bike and plan to stick with it hopefully.

Old 02-26-2015, 07:47 PM
osuhd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgr60
Could this be due to using too much poly-fill? I used three layers of the thin material. The speakers sound a tad muffled. I have plenty of volume, just looking for a cleaner more crisp sound.

The system is a PBR300x2 with infinity kappa 62.11i speakers. And the gain is set at 5.

Just curious...
on the polyfil I think I may have over done it but not sure. I wrapped it around speaker and kinda stuffed it in the fairing. I did see a website where it looked as if the polyfil was just one layer over the speaker. Basically a rectangular cut out which covers the speaker, not being wrapped.

Old 02-26-2015, 08:15 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by osuhd
I had bike out for a quick ride and just installed the infinity kappa and pbr300x2 amp and agree with the opening post. Still using a stock head unit, while riding for only 20 minutes or so it did seem that great. I had to crank up the radio to hear it. Sounded better than stock for sure but I'm thinking the head unit is the weak link, and questioning if I should have done the plus 3db on the kappa (pressed in the button on the speakers)
Leaning towards an aftermarket head unit, probably sell the stock one locally or ebay. As for buying a new amp would prefer not to, biketronics stuff was an option but set a budget for all I wanted on the bike and plan to stick with it hopefully.
I think it sounds better without the +3db. At loud volumes it was a bit harsh and sounded worse. The polyfill is 3 15x15 layers and yes you wrap them around the speakers and tuck them into the rings. It should be about an inch or so thick.

An aftermarket HU will make a difference. Lots of ways to adjust with HPF, slopes on the filters, EQ's, etc. The stock HU really holds u back. The look cool too!

Old 02-26-2015, 09:15 PM
sgr60
Tourer

What's the +3db switch on the speakers? I never noticed that nor heard any mention of it until now???

Old 02-26-2015, 10:10 PM
Gnarl78
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's the button next to the tweeter. I left mine out- sounded better. Also I only used poly fill sheets for about 1/2-5/8" thick. I was having problems getting my fairing back on and the lesser amount sounded better. Even with the stock HU I was getting loud, clear sound; although after riding for awhile the sound starts to get sloppy.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 PM
sgr60
Tourer

Interesting, I never noticed it - Learn something new everyday I guess!

I'm going to have to open it back up tomorrow and see how mine's set. Also going to try it with 2 layers of polyfill rather than 3 and see how it sounds.

Old 02-27-2015, 01:25 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by sgr60

Just curious...
Go with one sheet of Polyfill if they sound muffled.

Quick Reply: Audio not as crisp as I'd like...