Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15 Road Glide Special Audio

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:23 AM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 15 Road Glide Special Audio

I have read tons of threads about audio upgrades but opinions on audio is like opinions on oil! I know the popular upgrade for two speaker system is the kappa 62.11i with a rf 300 by 2. I have a couple of questions and concerns on this setup.
1. My biggest problem is that kappa speakers do not say waterproof. My bike does see rain. So, I assume this rules these out?
2. Plug and play, I know I saw a place to order the plugs. I just don't remember where. I can do the wiring, I just simply want to keep it clean.
3. Sound, I need two speakers to be clear and can be heard at 80.
4. Price. I simply do not wish to spend more than like 500-600. If kappa are not waterproof than what speakers that don't blow my budget.
5. I prefer first hand knowledge. What are you running on your 15rg? The batwing versus the shark nose is much different in wind noise. I know I have owned both.
6. Plus throw in what settings you are running on your system. Ie, gain, flash?

I don't need to rattle the neighbors windows. I want good clear sound that me and my passenger can hear without effort. Please don't answer my questions with your eight speaker setup. Thank you for your input.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:22 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster37
I have read tons of threads about audio upgrades but opinions on audio is like opinions on oil! I know the popular upgrade for two speaker system is the kappa 62.11i with a rf 300 by 2. I have a couple of questions and concerns on this setup.
1. My biggest problem is that kappa speakers do not say waterproof. My bike does see rain. So, I assume this rules these out?
2. Plug and play, I know I saw a place to order the plugs. I just don't remember where. I can do the wiring, I just simply want to keep it clean.
3. Sound, I need two speakers to be clear and can be heard at 80.
4. Price. I simply do not wish to spend more than like 500-600. If kappa are not waterproof than what speakers that don't blow my budget.
5. I prefer first hand knowledge. What are you running on your 15rg? The batwing versus the shark nose is much different in wind noise. I know I have owned both.
6. Plus throw in what settings you are running on your system. Ie, gain, flash?

I don't need to rattle the neighbors windows. I want good clear sound that me and my passenger can hear without effort. Please don't answer my questions with your eight speaker setup. Thank you for your input.
I will answer one of your questions concerning the Kappa's. While I'm not on a RG, sound is sound no matter what bike you are on. I currently run them on my Limited with a JL XD400/4 amp and had them on my SG before I changed out to Hertz. You will get a great sound out of them and can hear them at 80mph. I have been caught in several downpours and have not had a issue with them whatsoever to include a monsoon up at Sturgis last year. Waterproof?? Well there isn't a speaker out there that is completely waterproof. Water resistant to a certain extent but not waterproof. You can also look at Polk Audio. They do make some decent speakers at minimum cost that will do the job as well.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:14 AM
TVH475
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the kit from V-twin, Hawgwired 400 watt amp & 2 JL
c3 650 speakers, plug n play as you can get, yes you have to run the pos and neg to battery but even thats laid out for you, this kit is more than you stated buget, but I didn't want to deal with altering factory wiring! That being said from what I've read I think you'll be hard pressed to beat the RF/Intinity set up, V-twin offers plug n play wiring kits also, but UltraNutz & a few other members have the info on here somewhere to walk you right through the wiring! As for water proof I wouldn't be worried about it, I'm sure the Infinitys would last over a yr in a heavy rain situation and @ $100 a set it wouldn't bother me to replace them if they failed in a yr or 2! I'm currently running 8 speaker,amp 1 on,amp 2 on as per V-twin recommendation! I went for a ride a couple weeks ago & could hear the tunes @ 90!

Old 02-15-2015, 11:48 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

1. No worries on the kappa's in the rain.
2. Nothing is completely plug and play.
3. The Kappa's will be heard at any speed.
4. The Kappa's are going to be your best bang for the buck.
5. As Kesean said sound is sound. wind noise is wind noise.
6. Gains on the PBR are set between 5 and 6.

Old 02-16-2015, 05:09 AM
Rooster37
Road Master

Originally Posted by Kesean
I will answer one of your questions concerning the Kappa's. While I'm not on a RG, sound is sound no matter what bike you are on. I currently run them on my Limited with a JL XD400/4 amp and had them on my SG before I changed out to Hertz. You will get a great sound out of them and can hear them at 80mph. I have been caught in several downpours and have not had a issue with them whatsoever to include a monsoon up at Sturgis last year. Waterproof?? Well there isn't a speaker out there that is completely waterproof. Water resistant to a certain extent but not waterproof. You can also look at Polk Audio. They do make some decent speakers at minimum cost that will do the job as well.

Good to hear about the rain, thanks

Old 02-16-2015, 05:09 AM
Rooster37
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gannicus
1. No worries on the kappa's in the rain.
2. Nothing is completely plug and play.
3. The Kappa's will be heard at any speed.
4. The Kappa's are going to be your best bang for the buck.
5. As Kesean said sound is sound. wind noise is wind noise.
6. Gains on the PBR are set between 5 and 6.

Thanks for the gains....

Old 02-16-2015, 05:12 AM
Rooster37
Road Master

How and where did u guys mount the amp?

Old 02-16-2015, 05:38 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Rooster37
How and where did u guys mount the amp?
Again not on a RG but it can be mounted under the fairing. There are a lot of amps out there with small enough footprints with plenty of power that will fit. Not entirely sure on the new RG but should be enough room to mount on top of the infotainment system.