Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Anybody installed a Cerwin Vega B2

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 11:53 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

Okay. Everything is installed. First the business part since Just Plain John has a B2 on the way and is following. If anyone is going with a Cerwin Vega B2 save yourselves the mental anguish of trying to make sense of the wiring contradiction and pick up a line output converter and a set of RCA cables. Spoke with a buddy of mine who used to install car systems. He said that sometimes, as a proprietary measure, manufacturers do such odd things to A) keep folks like us from cutting into the harnesses and B) to try and push you into buying extra stuff....like say a line converter. He said Kenwood used to be infamous for it.

Now for the fun part! BT 7.1 Pros driven by the B2 off a stock HU in a 2011 RGC. Survey Says...... HOLY CRAP!!!! Did I mention, HOLY CRAP!!!

the fitment is superb. A lot of thought and attention to detail in the R&D. Kudos to Bill and his team. They are loud, clear, and full. The only thing limiting it right now is the HU. An aftermarket won't be happening anytime real soon but it's certainly on my to do list. Volume bars up to the E in volume, maybe +1 depending on the song, and the HU starts introducing some distortion. These are the speakers that prove the case made in some previous threads that it is NOT simply about dB levels. Clarity and fullness of sound can't be underestimated, period! I had the Kappa 62.11i/300X2 combination. Keeping in mind that audio is subjective, and I'm sensitive to higher frequencies, the Kappas sounded to me to maybe be a little louder. Probably because they are bright and my ears tap out sooner with the highs. While they are an outstanding speaker, especially in that price range, they were NO WHERE near as full and they aren't even in the team photo when it comes to the lows. How strong and tight is the bass response? I have a Roadie so the grills are different but the speakers move the grill material when the bass hits! You read that right...it moves the material on the grills. When I spotted it my son asked what I was laughing about. I told him what I saw and that I never thought that would be possible on a bike. Now I have to go through and double check that everything is tight because they make things rattle. Maybe I'll just get some spinner rims for it, lol.

Now, I haven't heard the non-pro 7.1s so I don't know if the pros are $280 better (msrp) than the non pros but I do know that these put a big *** smile on my face.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:27 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Cool, nice follow up. Mine arrived yesterday but my 7.1's are still in transit.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:35 AM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Mike, I just swapped out my kappas for a set of 7.1's and feel the same. Think the brightness of the kappas can get a tad louder, but the sound of the 7.1 is better.

I'm curiouser about the B2 since many folks are interested in it but not many reviews. I take it the sound quality from it is better than the PBR? I found it was night and day difference when I swapped out the PBR, it was as if the kappas were different speakers all together.

New HU and sell the stocker. Your bike will scream at those max volumes.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:01 AM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you got it figured out.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:53 AM
Little Mike
Road Master

Haze, except for the initial wiring confusion the B2 seems solid. I say seems because it's only been in a day and it's 1 degree outside so it has zero road time. It did push the 7.1s in the garage enough that people came to the garage to see what was going on. For the size, which is nearly the same as the 300X2, it rated to put out the same wattage at 4 ohms as the RF does at 2 ohms. Based on the garage listening I believe it is sending at least the 150w per channel. That's a strictly subjective impression as it isn't a bench test. The highs are crisp and clear and the bass response is tight so I don't believe it's leaving the speakers scavenging for power.

I had a conversation with Gann about running the Pros with the RF and we agreed it wouldn't be enough at 4 ohm for the Pros but could probably handle the non-pros. As is often the case in this forum I was convinced, not that it took a lot of convincing, to go with the B2 and the Pros. Reminds me of a joke i read recently....Develop a love of motorcycles in your children and they will never have money for drugs. Lol.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:06 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I use a second amp bracket for the two channel amp. It turns out the CV is too big for the bracket, only two bolt holes will work. Gonna take some extra work.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:10 AM
macride
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just received my b4 amp. Haven't tried install yet. Just curious if i might have same issue.

Old 02-15-2015, 11:45 AM
Little Mike
Road Master

Originally Posted by macride
Just received my b4 amp. Haven't tried install yet. Just curious if i might have same issue.
Which issue are you concerned with? If it's the wiring I don't think you'll have any problems. From the looks of the photos on the website it looks like the 4180 comes with everything you might possibly need.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:24 PM
firemeat
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by just plain john
I use a second amp bracket for the two channel amp. It turns out the CV is too big for the bracket, only two bolt holes will work. Gonna take some extra work.
----
I Just ordered the CV B2 for my '15 RGS. I was curious about that too... wether or not it was going to come with a bike specific mount or just a generic mounting plate. Is there a specific mounting plate for the amp to this fairing?