Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Troubles aplenty, need help diagnosing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 08:30 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Troubles aplenty, need help diagnosing

A while back I did a second amp install. My system now consists of a PA RZ4-2000D driving Pioneers in speaker lids and Infinity 62.11i's in the lowers, and a RF PBR300x2 driving a second pair of Infinity's in the fairing, all behind a Sony head unit. So I'm out riding when I notice a sudden decrease in volume. I pulled the fairing and the left fairing speaker falls out, all the screws fell out. I put it back in and turn on the radio. The lids and lowers sound good, still no sound from the fairing. I disconnected the big amp from the radio and I can hear the right side fairing speaker, but at a lower volume than it should be. Usually I hear the fairing speakers at the same levels as the rest of them, but not now, and nothing from the left side. I get out the meter, and the left speaker reads open with the right side reading 2 ohms. That explains the dead speaker, but not the diminished volume from the right side. Shut the switch off and reconnected the RCA's for the big amp. Turned it back on, forgetting the volume was up pretty loud (I'd been checking the fairing speakers). Fumbling with the volume control, I was trying to turn it down when all sound quit. I verified all my connections at the RCA's, all connected. I checked voltage, it was good. Then I noticed the power light on the RZ was not lit. Pulled the fuse, it was good. Uh oh. So now my current situation is this: an open speaker fairing speaker on one side, and diminished volume on the other side, and an amp that has power applied but won't power up. I can accept a failed speaker, but I'm puzzled about the diminished volume from the other channel of the PBR300x2 and I'm at a total loss as to why the RZ won't power up. It was working fine until it wasn't. As far as the RF amp goes, what should my readings be coming from the head unit? Am I missing something obvious? This is really sucking. All opinions welcomed.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:45 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is your remote turn on power source. Check that fuse ie... headlamp or cig lighter

Last edited by z71_fourwheelin; 02-06-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:48 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

I have power at the amp, measuring 11.82 vdc.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:51 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain

In the power port you have the 12v battery, the ground and a 3rd wire correct? wire is that 3rd wire connected?

Old 02-06-2015, 08:54 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
I have power at the amp, measuring 11.82 vdc.
Pretty sue z71 is talking about your remote power on source.
Kris

Old 02-06-2015, 08:56 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Power port? If you're referring to the remote turn on wire then yes, it's connected. Like I said, it was working fine until it wasn't. That same remote wire turns on the PBR so I'm calling the remote wire good, although I didn't actually measure voltage on it. I'll go check it.

Old 02-06-2015, 08:58 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain

Yes I am referring to the remote wire. Where ever that source is coming from check that fuse. I only mentioned that cause you said you lost ALL sound.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:27 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Went out and rechecked my readings. Not sure how I missed it, but I had no voltage powering the amp (in fact I swear I read 11.82 the first time). I have 12+ vdc on the remote wire coming from the head unit. Tomorrow I'll check all the connections but as of now the big amp is back on line. Now my next question, what should my front output from the head unit read going into the PBR amp if I fade it all the way to the front? The PBR is on the front channels, and the RZ is on the rear channels.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Make sure all your RCA's are routed correctly and check all your ground and speaker connections. Something is grounding out.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:48 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member

Will do Gannicus. Would output on the one working fairing speaker be affected if the other speaker reads open?

Quick Reply: Troubles aplenty, need help diagnosing