Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PBR 300X2/Titan 6.5's

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:00 AM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default PBR 300X2/Titan 6.5's

Is the PBR 300X2 a good pairing with the Titan 6.5’s used alone in the fairing. It was my understanding the Titans are 4 ohm speakers (could be wrong). It seems like they could use a bit more power. Wouldn’t the BT 2180/Titan II or the PBR/Kappa 6211i’s be a better pairing?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 02-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Blowby
Road Captain
Received 168 Likes on 71 Posts

Waiting for an answer to your question as well since I was thinking about joining in on the group buy and pairing my PBR300x2 with the 7.1s. Running the PBR/Kappa 6211i’s now and they sound so much better than OEM.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:29 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey guys,
Egldr, BT gear has a history of being under rated in the power numbers. So you could be very well be right that the Titan II could probably take a little bit more power, especially with the wattage the PBR is putting out at 4 ohms. The PBR does a good job of pushing the Kappas as they are 2 ohm speakers. If you're going to change one component or the other it is really up to you. If you like the fullness of the sound on the Titan speakers I'd say upgrade the amp. They should come alive even more with some more power.

Blowby, the PBR could push the 7.1's but not efficiently. There'd be no headroom left on the amp and you'd be working the **** out of the amp at all times. If you were going to upgrade to the 7.1's and only need a 2 channel amp I'd say get either the BT2180 or the Cerwin Vega B2 amp to drive them.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-02-2015, 01:21 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

For me, this was more out of curiosity than anything. I've spent a good deal of time researching a system for myself over this past week and it got me wondering about my friends system (PBR 300X2/Titan II 6.5). I was thinking as good as these components are on their own maybe there was more to be had by swapping one or the other for a few bucks.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 02-02-2015, 06:13 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Egldr05
For me, this was more out of curiosity than anything. I've spent a good deal of time researching a system for myself over this past week and it got me wondering about my friends system (PBR 300X2/Titan II 6.5). I was thinking as good as these components are on their own maybe there was more to be had by swapping one or the other for a few bucks.

Thanks,
Rick
There is some truth to what you are saying Rick. The PBR300X2 performs better with 2 ohm speakers than 4 ohm. A better match for the X2 would be the Infinity 62.11i speakers. That said. The Titan II speakers need more power than the X2 can provide at 4 ohms to reach their full potential. Those speakers would be better matched with the Rockford Fosgate T400X2ad. Problem is the AD is not cheap and will cost more than a few bucks to swap out. A cheaper Alternative would be the Cerwin Vega B2 for the Titan II speakers.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:57 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Problem is the AD is not cheap and will cost more than a few bucks to swap out. A cheaper Alternative would be the Cerwin Vega B2 for the Titan II speakers.
Doesn't the class A/D amp create heat issues in the fairing? The CV wouldn't cut it because he does listen to FM. I was thinking the 62.11i's would be a better match for the RF PBR300X2 and a cheap swap. Any appreciable sound quality loss with the Infinity's vs. the Titans?

Thanks,
Rick

Last edited by Egldr05; 02-02-2015 at 07:02 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:37 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Egldr05
Doesn't the class A/D amp create heat issues in the fairing? The CV wouldn't cut it because he does listen to FM. I was thinking the 62.11i's would be a better match for the RF PBR300X2 and a cheap swap. Any appreciable sound quality loss with the Infinity's vs. the Titans?

Thanks,
Rick
I know a couple guys with the AD amp and they love it. No heat issues. No sound quality loss with the kappa's. The Titan II's have slightly more bass. But the X2 and the infinity's are a perfect match.

Old 02-04-2015, 09:26 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Helping out my buddy here, as he is under attack LMAO...

I run BT71s now - LONG STORY, thanks to my buddies here Nutz, Gann, Haze and Dirt! - with the RZ4-2000D.
This amp goes far enough at this point in time for me pushing the BTs.
I got 90+Watts on the bench out of it during my testing, so on spec more or less (100W at 4ohm).
this amp costs 110 or so, you will have 2 open channels (I would not bridge it, but then again someone needs to try it LOL).
If bridging, you need to close off with 4 ohm speakers and theoretically you would be looking at ~250W RMS...
Hell - I am getting another RZ4 in for my little brother and once ready to install and dial in I will do a quick test test on the bridging to see the output on the scope.....

Old 02-05-2015, 12:22 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

I will do a quick test test on the bridging to see the output on the scope..... Thanks AAWAV. Let us know what happens with it. They do say bridgeable in the specs. Might be onto something here.....
Kris

Old 02-05-2015, 08:52 PM
Bigdogdude69
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gannicus
There is some truth to what you are saying Rick. The PBR300X2 performs better with 2 ohm speakers than 4 ohm. A better match for the X2 would be the Infinity 62.11i speakers. That said. The Titan II speakers need more power than the X2 can provide at 4 ohms to reach their full potential. Those speakers would be better matched with the Rockford Fosgate T400X2ad. Problem is the AD is not cheap and will cost more than a few bucks to swap out. A cheaper Alternative would be the Cerwin Vega B2 for the Titan II speakers.
So.... you don't suggest the 6.5" Titan II for use with the PBR300x2 ?? The reason I ask is I was planning on getting the Titan II's thru the group buy but if the Infinity 62.11i would be a better choice with the 300x2 I will just go that route. I guess what it boils down to is....which will sound better with the 300x2 ??

Quick Reply: PBR 300X2/Titan 6.5's