Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me, Road King decissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 08:38 PM
20FXST06
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me, Road King decissions

I would like to have some sounds on my 05 FLHR. I really don't want shield or lowers. Was trying to figure out something for the handlebar or crash bar that I would be able to hear at highway speed if possible. Not really an expert in this field. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-31-2015, 10:15 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by 20FXST06
I would like to have some sounds on my 05 FLHR. I really don't want shield or lowers. Was trying to figure out something for the handlebar or crash bar that I would be able to hear at highway speed if possible. Not really an expert in this field. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I think if I had a road king like yours I would go with these:

http://www.truekustom.com/custom-bag...-speaker-lids/

Not much you can really do up front without a fairing or lowers. Anything on the Apes or roll bars won't look right on that bike. Might also check with Shark audio who is a vendor on this forum. I think they have pretty good solutions for road kings.

All my friends with roadkings have 6x9's in the fairing and Hog tune lids.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:54 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts

Without a shield, you are out of luck...There is nothing out there you will be able to hear at highway speeds that I am aware of. I have the Boom windshield unit and can hear it up till about 70. I just ordered a new set of speakers to put in the Boom unit and am going to run them with a new amp paired with speakers in my lowers. I know you said you don't want either but you are going to have a hard time with tunes without...

Old 02-03-2015, 12:19 AM
20FXST06
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, Guess I will have to at least go with a windshield. Maybe I should just stick to an iPod and some good buds.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:25 AM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts

Well, Guess I will have to at least go with a windshield. Maybe I should just stick to an iPod and some good buds.
I thought about adding some speakers too, in the fairing lowers. But on your bike, it wouldn't look right.

Old 02-03-2015, 12:32 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

...Maybe I should just stick to an iPod and some good buds.
Yes!

Here are a few thoughts from a different perspective. In another life I'm an avid hi-fi/audio/music geek. I not only understand dB, sound pressure level and volume, I actually have the equipment to measure it.

1. If you play music through speakers on a motorcycle at freeway speeds loud enough to hear clearly, you are giving yourself permanent, irreversible hearing damage. Permanent.

2. I would suggest a bluetooth or direct connection to stereo earphones or headset inside your full coverage helmet, such as a Sena SMH10 or something similar. This will provide a full, stereo connection to your smartphone for Pandora or the music stored on the phone, and the music will be inside your helmet, with most of the wind noise shut out.

3. Simplest and cheapest solution, with the best possible sound, and the least damage to your hearing.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:33 AM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
I would suggest a bluetooth or direct connection to stereo earphones or headset inside your full coverage helmet, such as a Sena SMH10 or something similar. This will provide a full, stereo connection to your smartphone for Pandora or the music stored on the phone, and the music will be inside your helmet, with most of the wind noise shut out. 3. Simplest and cheapest solution, with the best possible sound, and the least damage to your hearing.
Here's the answer you are looking for. Couldn't have said it better myself

Last edited by scott01; 02-03-2015 at 10:14 AM.