Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decent Sound with Big Motor?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:36 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Decent Sound with Big Motor?

A couple of questions regarding a sound system for my 2005 FLH.

My Sony HU gave it up a couple of years ago. At the time I was running a lower line set of Infinity's in the fairing with an ARC 2 channel mini. I haven't had any tunes since and have also upgraded the motor to a 120". The sound before on my 98" was what I would classify as just okay putting around the back roads, not too hot when going much over 55 MPH.

Is it crazy to think I could have some decent sound while cruising the freeway with a 120" motor?

Thanks,
Rick

Old 01-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

We're going to need some additional info. What's your budget? What is your ultimate goal? When you did the motor did you upgrade to the high output charging system?

As a side question, what exhaust are you running that you don't think you'll be able to hear the audio going down the road?

Old 01-30-2015, 02:23 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Egldr05
A couple of questions regarding a sound system for my 2005 FLH.

My Sony HU gave it up a couple of years ago. At the time I was running a lower line set of Infinity's in the fairing with an ARC 2 channel mini. I haven't had any tunes since and have also upgraded the motor to a 120". The sound before on my 98" was what I would classify as just okay putting around the back roads, not too hot when going much over 55 MPH.

Is it crazy to think I could have some decent sound while cruising the freeway with a 120" motor?

Thanks,
Rick
I run CFR's and can't hear them when I turn my music up. You put the right system on you bike. You will hear it.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:41 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Little Mike
We're going to need some additional info. What's your budget? What is your ultimate goal? When you did the motor did you upgrade to the high output charging system?

As a side question, what exhaust are you running that you don't think you'll be able to hear the audio going down the road?
I did not upgrade the charging system. I'm running V&H Power Duals with Khromewerks 4" HP Plus performance mufflers. I guess my goal is to be able to clearly hear the music while running 70 mph. No real budget limitations, I don't mind spending the money if it's going to be worthwhile.

I've been researching this a bit lately and have pretty much decided the BT 7.1's would be the way to go, maybe the BT 4 channel amp. I do frequently run with a TP so I would add pods but I want to be able to hear it decently with just the fairing speakers if possible.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 01-30-2015, 04:09 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

If you don't have any real budget restraints then look into the two BT threads near the top. Bill has offered a group buy if enough guys get in.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Little Mike
If you don't have any real budget restraints then look into the two BT threads near the top. Bill has offered a group buy if enough guys get in.
Thanks for the tip on the group buy. This might be the way to get started. I'm thinking the 4180 amp with the Pro speakers for the fairing and add the TP pods later. I'm thinking a Kenwood HU. My Sony crapped out and was covered under warranty with another one that crapped out. I've always run Kenwoods in my cars so I think I'll go with tried and true. Now I just need to pick one out.

Rick

Old 01-30-2015, 07:26 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Egldr05
Thanks for the tip on the group buy. This might be the way to get started. I'm thinking the 4180 amp with the Pro speakers for the fairing and add the TP pods later. I'm thinking a Kenwood HU. My Sony crapped out and was covered under warranty with another one that crapped out. I've always run Kenwoods in my cars so I think I'll go with tried and true. Now I just need to pick one out.

Rick
You dam sure won't hear your motor with the PRO's . . . Ask me how I know.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gannicus
You dam sure won't hear your motor with the PRO's . . . Ask me how I know.
Sounds like I'm on the right track. Regarding my budget, I know I can do this cheaper than the BT stuff but with all the reading I've been doing it sounds like the quality and performance is there not to mention the warranty and customer support. That means something to me.

Rick

Old 01-30-2015, 08:39 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, seems like a lot of people like the Kenwood Excelon series HU. I have the x598 and several others have the x798 and the x998

Old 01-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by z71_fourwheelin
Also, seems like a lot of people like the Kenwood Excelon series HU.
Yep, that's what I have in my car. I'm looking pretty seriously at the 798 for the bike.

Rick

Quick Reply: Decent Sound with Big Motor?