Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement Speakers...last time!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 06:49 PM
Drkknt
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacement Speakers...last time!

In light of current events I feel I can now ask this out in the
open.

Last year I upgraded my sound system (2011 RG) with an amp and new speakers, keeping the stock HK head.I'm not really an audiophile but I
know what I like when I hear it.I chose the RF PBR300X2 for the amp and
some speakers...let's just say they were 7.25 and move on.Got everything
installed and...wasn't really impressed.Yeah it was way louder than the
stock setup but like I've read here on more than one occasion louder does
not equal better.It just didn't seem like it was crisp and clear.Instead
of distinctly hearing all the different parts of the music, it sounded more
like blended noise if that makes sense.Past 55mph and loudenough to
hear, talk radio sounded like Charley Brown's teacher.I read in another
thread on here where the I believe the posterwas trying describe the same thing I'm trying to say. As per the speaker manufacturer I played with the amp some and wrapped the speakers in polyfil (sp?) but that didn't really make much noticeable difference that I could hear.After going through all the trouble and taking the fairing on/off three times I kind of convinced myself I'd get used to it.
And a year later here I am asking for speaker recommendations.I'd
like to keep the RF PBR300X2 amp, don't plan on adding any more speakers or changing heads...at least not until the stock one goes bad.I'd like to
stay in the $200 price range. Also I guess I need to stay with 2 ohm speakers?
I see the usual well-thought-of name brand speakers thrown around on here
butusually in conjunction with a different amp from mine.I only want to
do this one more time so want to make sure my speaker/amp work well together and will produce loud, crisp, clear sound and de-mute CB's teacher.
Appreciate any insight.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:00 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

Kappa’s. They’re 2ohm and get plenty loud and clear. That’s where they really shine. I’m pushing mine with a PPI 900.4 and they are very clear at very loud volumes going very fast on the HWY.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:22 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 on the Kappas. I'm running them with that same amp in my 2011 RGC. Also hearing some good reviews coming on the Kicker KSC67 KS Series. Keep in mind though that the Kickers are 4ohm. The 300X2 is 2 and 4 ohm stable so it will push either set but the increased resistance of the Kickers will lessen the watts the amp is capable of effectively pushing to them.

Last edited by Little Mike; 01-29-2015 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:52 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mike
+1 on the Kappas. I'm running them with that same amp in my 2011 RGC. Also hearing some good reviews coming on the Kicker KSC67 KS Series. Keep in mind though that the Kickers are 4ohm. The 300X2 is 2 and 4 ohm stable so it will push either set but the increased resistance of the Kickers will lessen the watts the amp is capable of effectively pushing to them.
+2 You want loud and clear. Go Kappa's

Old 01-30-2015, 04:53 AM
Drkknt
Advanced

Thank you! I'll definitely check them out. Any particular model I should look for? On my way to work and just hit their website for a second....several different models there. I'm going to need adapter rings too I guess, are the speakers pretty standard in that regard? Y'all rock!

Old 01-30-2015, 05:29 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Drkknt
Thank you! I'll definitely check them out. Any particular model I should look for? On my way to work and just hit their website for a second....several different models there. I'm going to need adapter rings too I guess, are the speakers pretty standard in that regard? Y'all rock!
Infinity 62.11i

You will have to get Arc Audio rings for your RG. Check with Little Mike on install.

Last edited by Gannicus; 01-30-2015 at 05:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:59 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a 4 speaker setup and the Kicker's are a great speaker for the money, less than a 100 bucks for a set. But your running a 2 speaker set up and I would go with the Kappas.

Old 01-30-2015, 11:46 AM
Little Mike
Road Master

Again, great combination that I'm confident you'll be happy with. You'll have clarity, volume, and most importantly clarity at volume and at speed. Also check for them on Amazon. You'll save a few bucks to spend on more beer.

Couple of things I came across while doing my install in the RG. One of them I think you're past since the amp is already installed. Turns out the bracket I used, the kind that mounts the amp along the side of the inner fairing, was making contact with one of the headlight adjustment screws and preventing the outer fairing from sitting properly along the bottom.

You can see in the picture how the right side (looking at the bike) adjuster access opening was blocked. This was corrected by snipping a bit of the non-threaded end off the adjustment screw on the headlight assembly.

The other was with the adapter rings. I went with the less expensive ones from Eastern Performance Cycle. They are cone shaped, which is the style you want, NOT the flat ones, just like the ones from ARC. What I found here was that they were a little too deep. The ones from ARC may be a little bit shallower as people who've used them haven't reported the same issue. The depth kept the outer fairing from marrying properly with the inner fairing at the black trim that acts as a gasket. While the fairing still went on, it was riding above the inner on both sides of the windshield and was clearly going to make water intrusion an issue. I corrected that by taking 3/16th to a 1/4" off the small diameter side of the adapter by running it on my bench top belt sander. The other thing to be sure you do to avoid having to pull the outer back off is align the adapters properly. Make sure the narrowest part of the adapter is at the top. This will put the flared portion of the adapter pointing inboard at slightly down. Think of it as making it point toward 8 o'clock on the right side (looking at the bike from the front) and 4 o'clock on the left side. And don't forget, if you get stuck or have any questions we'll get you through it. Just hop on and ask.

Old 01-30-2015, 03:27 PM
Drkknt
Advanced

Thanks to all again.

Little Mike, thanks for the pointers and picture...I like pictures. I actually made my amp mounting plate, designed much like the one in your pic. And I too ran into the problem of the adjuster screw hitting it. Since it was a plate that I had made, I just cut the corner off the plate. Tastes great, less filling.

Is there any concern about "where" I get the 62.11i from....meaning do I have to worry about counterfeits? Reason I ask, the prices I've found range from $89 to $189. That's a pretty big spread.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:23 PM
Little Mike
Road Master

Unlike Hertz speakers, the most counterfeited speaker out there, I haven't heard of any counterfeit issues with the Kappas. If anyone else has I'm sure they will chime in here pretty quickly. Just do your research on the sellers. Right now they are...

169.XX at both Sonic Electronix and Crutchfield and 99.98 via Central Buys on Amazon.

Quick Reply: Replacement Speakers...last time!