Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Rockford Amp Install 1/27/15

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 10:22 AM
DaaPossum
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Up Date 2/21/15

I have not yet went to a Dealer to try to correct the Flash. I am still trying to learn why like others I have a flat sound and no fader. I have read were others with both 2 or 4 speaker configurations are having the same problem.
Houston area has many Harley Dealers. I am trying to contact each to find some one who can state they have done this with aftermarket amps before. As you can imagine most are ( Mum ) on the question. I will say at this point for sound and enjoying my ride I miss my 2012 Ultra stereo. My 14 rides nice and I enjoy the upgrades but miss my Quality Tunes. I have read were some are saying to go back to factory Flash and adjust out the Amp to compensate for this. Yet others seem to have found the correct Flash adjustments and are very happy with their results. It curls my stomach to think I wasted this money and install just to return to the Dealer for Boom Audio Upgrade.

Old 02-21-2015, 05:48 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

OP, how are the Polk DB series speakers holding up so far? I killed my first one within a week.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:30 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

is the Rf 300by2 a good match for the 7.1? I have a friend trying to do that set up now and it sounds like crap with no bass??? same speakers different Rf amp sound 10 times better full and crisp..I'm thinking the amp the weak point?

Old 02-23-2015, 07:53 PM
DaaPossum
Novice

I have used Infinity / Hog Tunes / J&M Rockers / Polk. For me by far the Polk MM series had the warmest sound quality and never failed me. The Infinity's were the second best. Hog Tunes I burned up in weeks. Rockers sounded like a High School P.A. system and did not make a year.

I used two BT454 for several years and went to the PBR300x2 after installing one for a friend.

I would buy the story on the Amp being my problem had I not already used the amps and were quite happy with the sound.

I have installed for friends several sets of Polk DB series. All sound great and are still pounding away.

I choose them for the back to try amping the rear speakers for my wife. If all works well I was going to BT 6.5 with the V Twin speaker adapters for the rear. The Polks are priced fairly for me to try this out.

Like all others my issue is Harley and the new head unit. I believe the BT 7.1 with the PBR will rock when I can get the head unit to conform.

When work and weather allows me to I will put a jumper to the amps input with a mini stereo plug that will go into my Phone. This will allow me to by pass the Harley head unit and see of my set up will truly rock or not.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:58 PM
DaaPossum
Novice
Default Up Date 3/15/2015

After all the reading and a conversation Via E/Mail with UltraNutZ it is clear the flash issue will be around for a while. I have order a pair of speaker in factory plugs for my PBR amps. First I will be hooking up a mini stereo plug to the speaker in connections on my amps. I will connect a Sony MP3 player model NWZ-E383BLK Unit price is around 65.00 and has a built in equalizer. This will allow me to completely bypass the factory head unit to my amps. I should for the first time hear the system that I built. If all goes well I will place both the wires from the mini stereo plug and the wires from the factory head unit together going into my amps. If this works with no bleed back while the factory head unit is in mute then I have at least got my quality tunes back while preserving the other options that the factory head unit provides.

Last edited by DaaPossum; 03-16-2015 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 AM
fallenhillbilly
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DaaPossum
After all the reading and a conversation Via E/Mail with UltraNutZ it is clear the flash issue will be around for a while. I have order a pair of speaker in factory plugs for my PBR amps. First I will be hooking up a mini stereo plug to the speaker in connections on my amps. I will connect a Sony MP3 player model NWZ-E383BLK Unit price is around65.00 and has a built in equalizer. This will allow me to completely bypass the factory head unit to my amps. I should for the first time hear the system that I built. If all goes well I will place both the wires from the mini stereo plug and the wires from the factory head unit together going into my amps. If this works with no bleed back while the factory head unit is in mute then I have at least got my quality tunes back while preserving the other options that the factory head unit provides.
This is sad that it has come to this..All the money these bikes cost and Harley puts the cheapest thing they can find in it..Maybe that's why my system sounds so different from 12 bike to 14 bike.Maybe the radio just don't have the power to push these amps when you flash the Eq..I have to go so far on the volume to get the same sounds as the old units. It like the new radio don't have any A** to them...Got to be the flash (Right)

Old 03-20-2015, 12:35 PM
Racin929
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

All these problems with flash led me to the magic box. Talked to eddie at cycle sunds and he said he would take it back right away and give me a 1 year warranty. Yes, I admit, I have to turn the amp up to past 7-8. But the sound is MUCH better and no flash issues. I did buy the kappas, but returned them after 2 days for the Focals 165's. HUGE diff. Just my $.02

Old 03-24-2015, 05:06 PM
DaaPossum
Novice
Default Update 3/24/15

Well I made it to the Dealer today. After an hour and an invite to see the Laptop and to hear the system. ( No Change ) I know have Bin: 146_off.
Nothing has changed. They never would acknowledge that they could or could not take it back to stock. As I visited with the Tec and the Service Manager if they knew anything they were silent. They could only tow the factory line. I checked my DTC,s I had not done this before. I have and can not clear Lost ( Comm.w/AMP4 / Comm.w/AMP1 / UO:188: Current / UO:185: Current ) I will have to find the explanation to these codes. I also found (Sidetone Level) under speaker check. I guess I missed it before. It was set on -20. I set it to +20. When I went back to check it again it was back to -20. I also have to learn what this is. I will attaché the Mini Stereo Plug to the input of my Amps this week. This will as I have stated before allow me to bypass the head unit. This will allow me to have quality music out of me Phone or MP3 Player while allowing the Nav system and my Phone to work on the factory head unit.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:52 PM
dgreen1069
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

146_OFF.bin is the flash my bike and others like it received when we had the Boom Stage II speakers installed with the two amps (fairing and tour pack).

I could be wrong, but I believe the Sidetone has to do with the feedback you hear in your headset when you are using it for the intercom or bluetooth phone calls. It's the volume of your voice in your ears when you are talking.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:00 PM
DaaPossum
Novice
Default Clarion CMS 2 / 3-29-15

Well we live and we learn. I found in my infamous wisdom and complete anger at MoCo that the power from an I-Phone straight into my Amps is not the solution as their is not enough power coming from the I-Phone to wake up the Amps. Rode all day long yesterday listing to Crap and just getting myself madder and madder at the situation. Finally the little light bulb in my head came on and I remembered the Unit that I place in my Boat. I just ordered the Clarion CMS 2 Marine Head Unit. I will mount the Main unit under the Bat Wing (6.9 X 2 X 6.75) as I did measure for fitment. Thank you BT for the new 7.1 speaker mounts that will allow this to happen. I will mount the Water Proof wired Controller (5 1/4 X 3 1/4 X 1) to a Ram Mount off my Handel Bars. I think I will use the mount to the front brake reservoir. FM / Satellite / USB & Bluetooth. I will connect and use my USB to the same Factory plug behind the latched cover. I will be able to use my I-Phone via Bluetooth ( Pandora - I-Heart ) and my current USB drive in the Factory location. This unit sounds great on the Boat with a few Amps and good old MM Polks. Not the perfect answer but nothing is until the Flash problem is found. As Mad as I am at MOCO I feel relived that my Tunes will be back soon. Will post Pics when installed.

Quick Reply: 2014 Rockford Amp Install 1/27/15