Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Rockford Amp Install 1/27/15

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 03:49 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by AAWAV
CR.P!!!!,,,,,,,,, according my info... flash is the way to go. But if you are looking for the ultimate solution, look at this http:\\IWillNeverBuyFromMr,,,,,,,,.com\HisCrap.htm
LMAO I had no idea where it came from I had read where some were using it. My bad.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Old 01-28-2015, 03:55 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by dgreen1069
Out of curiosity, why should the flash be for 8 speakers? How many speaker outputs does the Boom Infotainment system have? Are there two sets of speaker wires going to each of the 4 speaker locations? What does the flash do besides remove the power from the internal amp and tweak the dsp?
Most Ultra's have 8 speaker positions. Upper/Lower fairing/Saddle bags/Rear Pods. Therefore, more often than not two amps are also used. (8 channels)
"Flash" simply means "save" the settings. Guys go 8 speaker so they don't have to keep coming back to the dealer when they add speakers. Kinda like killin two birds with one stone.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:28 PM
DaaPossum
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This response is to several of the questions following my original write up.

(A.) Yes the white pods are gone. This is a requirement for the install of the Biketronic 7.1 speakers. (B.) I was unaware of the flash that would have something to do the the fader. I am taking the bike to a local dealer that I talked with over the phone today. I feel confident in his reply's to my questions on the flash issue and he is willing to work me thru this problem. (C.) I adjusted the gain after the flash was done. After visiting with Biketronics & Rockford F. & several others locally that did the same flash I feel confident that the first flash was done incorrectly. I take the blame as this dealer has failed me once before thru their service department.

Old 01-29-2015, 07:41 PM
DaaPossum
Novice

Sorry I missed one question. Biketronics & V-Twin Audio & most on this Form state the proper flash to adjust the radio output in conjunction with a good set of speakers and proper amplification will deliver better sound quality than no flash and the use of the Magic Box.

I have installed for my own personnel use and against my wife's wishes a lot of speakers and amps. I have had the pleasure of assisting may others with their sound system upgrades. I have not yet had the opportunity to hear the newer Harleys with out the flash and using the magic box.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:12 PM
firemedic4500
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a 14 FLHXS, installed the RF T400x4ad amp with Hybrid Audio 6.5's and Hybrid Audio 5x7's to fit the boom speaker lids. Had the same problem everyone else has had.... loud, but "tinny". Missing the mid bass and lows while riding. I purchased the magic box at first due to no one had a definitive answer as to what actual Flash to get. The problem with the magic box IMO... the DSP is still there, however, the magic box has so many filters built in to mechanically change the signals to "overcome" the DSP that you have to literally crank the amp up almost to max gain. Most people know that doing this causes quite a bit of white noise at lower volumes. I ran this setup for some time until the magic box failed. I had crackling and the volume lowered significantly and, at times, lost volume all together, as if something came loose. I removed the magic box and hooked it back up the traditional way and had the volume back, but not the quality. now that I know which flash to get, that's the first stop I'm making when riding season comes around. I am also getting rid of the pods and going with the Biketronics brackets. They will sell them separately if you ask nicely.

Save time and money and get the flash and forget about the magic box, not the fix we hoped for.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:43 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

I also installed the RF PBR 300/2 with 4 Kicker KS 6.5 in my 2014 and the sound is crisp clear and loud and never had the dealer flash it.I never seen any need for it as it sounded good,(better than the J&M Rokkers XX 6.25 and 250 amp)is it the best absolutely not but for around $350.00 it works for Mike

Old 01-30-2015, 06:09 AM
MartinSporti
Intermediate

Please let me know for only 2 fairing speakers, what is the recommendation - flash or not with the RF amp ?

Old 01-30-2015, 11:56 AM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MartinSporti
Please let me know for only 2 fairing speakers, what is the recommendation - flash or not with the RF amp ?
Short answer...no flash.

Longer answer to explain why....If you know you're not going to ever add additional speakers then my understanding is you don't need to do anything to the HU. By keeping it as is the HU will maintain a high enough voltage output signal to turn on the amp using the internal signal sensing capabilities. That means you shouldn't need to connect the remote power line from the amp and the HU is already putting out a left and right channel signal. With no additional speakers you have no need for fade either.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:24 PM
KSGLIDEGUY
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by firemedic4500
I have a 14 FLHXS, installed the RF T400x4ad amp with Hybrid Audio 6.5's and Hybrid Audio 5x7's to fit the boom speaker lids. Had the same problem everyone else has had.... loud, but "tinny". Missing the mid bass and lows while riding. I purchased the magic box at first due to no one had a definitive answer as to what actual Flash to get. The problem with the magic box IMO... the DSP is still there, however, the magic box has so many filters built in to mechanically change the signals to "overcome" the DSP that you have to literally crank the amp up almost to max gain. Most people know that doing this causes quite a bit of white noise at lower volumes. I ran this setup for some time until the magic box failed. I had crackling and the volume lowered significantly and, at times, lost volume all together, as if something came loose. I removed the magic box and hooked it back up the traditional way and had the volume back, but not the quality. now that I know which flash to get, that's the first stop I'm making when riding season comes around. I am also getting rid of the pods and going with the Biketronics brackets. They will sell them separately if you ask nicely.

Save time and money and get the flash and forget about the magic box, not the fix we hoped for.
I just installed the PBR 300x2 amp and Infinity speakers in my 15 RG and have the same lack of sound problem. It sounded good before the flash. Was the flash done improperly or what? I was considering reflashing back to stock. Any ideas?

Old 02-07-2015, 09:31 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KSGLIDEGUY
I just installed the PBR 300x2 amp and Infinity speakers in my 15 RG and have the same lack of sound problem. It sounded good before the flash. Was the flash done improperly or what? I was considering reflashing back to stock. Any ideas?
The flash essentially turns off the internal amp in the HU. This lowers the strength, in the form of the output voltage, of the signal. You could have it re-flashed back to the standard settings or you could try resetting the gain on your amp and see if that at least gets you back to where you were in the volume department.

Quick Reply: 2014 Rockford Amp Install 1/27/15