Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Limited Music System change.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 10:40 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2012 Limited Music System change.

I need recommendations, I would prefer a simple to install system. I have the stock radio at this time.

2012 limited, I would like to change the speakers (4) and add an amp and keep the head unit. (handlebar controls, plug in headset sometimes and keeping cost down)

I do ride in rain so I need something that will not get ruined.

I am not a audiophile so top of the line I don't want to get.

Budget is around $300.00 - $500.00 (if possible, if not than I will live with what I have)

I do listen to the radio alot, FM mostly.

I would like the amp to be installed in the fairing, and I would be willing in increase the speaker size as long as it won't interfere with my Road Tech GPS, and or space on the passenger seat. ( I need all the room I can get there due to luggage I carry)

I have read some posts and honestly I get so lost, 4 ohms, vs 2 ohms, overheating, wire this or that, magic box etc. I am dumb to this stuff so I don't even know where to search for what I would like to get.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:46 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by Highwayman-AL
I need recommendations, I would prefer a simple to install system. I have the stock radio at this time.

2012 limited, I would like to change the speakers (4) and add an amp and keep the head unit. (handlebar controls, plug in headset sometimes and keeping cost down)

I do ride in rain so I need something that will not get ruined.

I am not a audiophile so top of the line I don't want to get.

Budget is around $300.00 - $500.00 (if possible, if not than I will live with what I have)

I do listen to the radio alot, FM mostly.

I would like the amp to be installed in the fairing, and I would be willing in increase the speaker size as long as it won't interfere with my Road Tech GPS, and or space on the passenger seat. ( I need all the room I can get there due to luggage I carry)

I have read some posts and honestly I get so lost, 4 ohms, vs 2 ohms, overheating, wire this or that, magic box etc. I am dumb to this stuff so I don't even know where to search for what I would like to get.
AL - First and foremost you don't have to worry about any magic boxes or flashes. You have a 2012 limited. The Flash/Magic box is only required on the 14 and up bikes.

The amp that is going to give you the most bang for the buck in the fairing without losing radio reception is the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 Which can be found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ROCKFORD...-/301197278279

I would take baby steps and buy the amp with a set of Infinity 62.11i speakers and adapter rings. You may find this is all you need after install. If you need more then you can think about replacing the tour pak speakers.

The infinity's can be found here:

http://www.caraudiogiants.com/infini...FcEdgQodN5UANw

Very nice speakers and no problems in the rain. You will need a 8 gauge Boss wiring kit and a pair of speaker adapters.

Speaker adapters here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEAKER-ADAP...-/121358701848

Boss wiring kit here:

Amazon.com: BOSS Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit: Car Electronics Amazon.com: BOSS Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit: Car Electronics

All these Items should be well within your budget. Very simple install. If you need help PM me.

Old 01-24-2015, 08:54 AM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer

Thank you so much for your links, and recommendations.

I am understanding from your recommendations then a 2 channel amp will run 4 speakers.

Thinking ahead if I do change the tour pak speakers then the 2 channel amp will still work to drive all 4 speakers?

Old 01-24-2015, 10:08 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Highwayman-AL
Thank you so much for your links, and recommendations.

I am understanding from your recommendations then a 2 channel amp will run 4 speakers.

Thinking ahead if I do change the tour pak speakers then the 2 channel amp will still work to drive all 4 speakers?
Let me clarify - A two channel amp that is 2 and 4 ohm compatible will drive four speakers as long as the speakers are 4 ohm. Meaning you can run the speakers in a wiring configuration called "Parallel Wiring" Parallel wiring cuts the resistance (ohms) in half and sends more power to each speaker.

As long as the amp is two and four ohm compatible you can run 4 ohm speakers in parallel.

Now here's the problem. The Infinity's are already two ohm speakers. meaning if you run 4 infinity's in parallel off a two channel amp it would reduce your load to 1 ohm.

Can't do it. because the amp will only go down to 2 ohms. Hope you are still with me.
You will have to go with 4 ohms speakers or a 4 channel amp. Keeping your FM radio limits your options on 4 channel amps within your budget.

The next best thing you can do within your budget is go with the PBR300X4 with the kicker KSC67 speakers. The X4 is only 4 ohm compatible meaning you can only run 4 ohm speakers with this amp. But you will keep your FM radio.

Speakers: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20641KS...1255385&awdv=c

Amp:

Amazon.com : Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 Punch BRT 300-Watt Ultra Compact 4-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 Punch BRT 300-Watt Ultra Compact 4-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics

Old 01-24-2015, 12:42 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer

thanks for the insight. I had read the PBR300x4 wasn't such a good amp, and has heat issues.

Seems I am stuck then with my limits.

I am thinking than if your first suggestion doesn't play out, I can add another amp and speakers later, in the meantime keep the existing stock speakers on the tour pak plugged into the HU.

One last question I can't find after search and scanning the other posts. I want to keep my CB and not go with the trouble or relocation. Can I put the PBR300x2 on the side next to the CB module, or should I get this bracket? http://hawg-wired.com/product_info.php/cPath/2/pPath/37

Last edited by Highwayman-AL; 01-24-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:30 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 24 Posts

Let me give a little more info if I may on Gann's original suggestion...the 300X2 and the Infinity Kappas up front in the fairing. That speaker and amp combination is really impressive for the money and miles ahead of what you're running now. I run the same set-up in my 2011 RG Custom. Once I dialed in the gains took it for a ride here's what I found. At between 1/2 and 3/4 volume with the Automatic Volume Control set at 1 I can't hear the bike anymore at cruising speed. Turn it up to 3/4 and, while still clear, it becomes too loud to enjoy. In Gann's suggestion you would run the 300X2 driving the Infinities up front. The rears continue to just run off the head unit without going through the amp. I understand from your OP that you want to upgrade and amplify the rears but I'm inclined to ask why based on the following...1) You said you're not an audiophile so I don't think you're trying to build a competition system or parking lot rocker. 2) You said you wanted to maintain room on the rear seat for the luggage you carry. That would block the sound from those speakers. 3) These smaller 5 1/4" and 6 1/2" speakers, even the very best of them, are limited to some because of their size. Those limitations are increased once you're going down the road. While you can hear them sitting still once at speed they aren't a primary audio source that you can actively hear anymore because, well, they are behind you. I'd still leave them in place and run them off the HU. While they don't serve as a good primary audio source when rolling down the road they will still provide enough audio to be fill sound. I hope that helps explain it a little more. Whichever direction you decide to go though we'll be happy to help you with whatever questions you have.

Old 01-24-2015, 02:39 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Little Mike
Let me give a little more info if I may on Gann's original suggestion...the 300X2 and the Infinity Kappas up front in the fairing. That speaker and amp combination is really impressive for the money and miles ahead of what you're running now. I run the same set-up in my 2011 RG Custom. Once I dialed in the gains took it for a ride here's what I found. At between 1/2 and 3/4 volume with the Automatic Volume Control set at 1 I can't hear the bike anymore at cruising speed. Turn it up to 3/4 and, while still clear, it becomes too loud to enjoy. In Gann's suggestion you would run the 300X2 driving the Infinities up front. The rears continue to just run off the head unit without going through the amp. I understand from your OP that you want to upgrade and amplify the rears but I'm inclined to ask why based on the following...1) You said you're not an audiophile so I don't think you're trying to build a competition system or parking lot rocker. 2) You said you wanted to maintain room on the rear seat for the luggage you carry. That would block the sound from those speakers. 3) These smaller 5 1/4" and 6 1/2" speakers, even the very best of them, are limited to some because of their size. Those limitations are increased once you're going down the road. While you can hear them sitting still once at speed they aren't a primary audio source that you can actively hear anymore because, well, they are behind you. I'd still leave them in place and run them off the HU. While they don't serve as a good primary audio source when rolling down the road they will still provide enough audio to be fill sound. I hope that helps explain it a little more. Whichever direction you decide to go though we'll be happy to help you with whatever questions you have.
Totally agree with Little Mike!! The dummy module will work with the X2.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:19 PM
Dr.ultra2010
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look at biketronics amp and speaker kit mines awesome spent 599 total... 7.1 titan speakers amp w/fan

Old 01-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer

Originally Posted by Little Mike
Let me give a little more info if I may on Gann's original suggestion...the 300X2 and the Infinity Kappas up front in the fairing. That speaker and amp combination is really impressive for the money and miles ahead of what you're running now. I run the same set-up in my 2011 RG Custom. Once I dialed in the gains took it for a ride here's what I found. At between 1/2 and 3/4 volume with the Automatic Volume Control set at 1 I can't hear the bike anymore at cruising speed. Turn it up to 3/4 and, while still clear, it becomes too loud to enjoy. In Gann's suggestion you would run the 300X2 driving the Infinities up front. The rears continue to just run off the head unit without going through the amp. I understand from your OP that you want to upgrade and amplify the rears but I'm inclined to ask why based on the following...1) You said you're not an audiophile so I don't think you're trying to build a competition system or parking lot rocker.That is correct. 2) You said you wanted to maintain room on the rear seat for the luggage you carry. That would block the sound from those speakers. I don't always have luggage, but the suitcase I carry width would crush speakers that stick out further than the stock. 3) These smaller 5 1/4" and 6 1/2" speakers, even the very best of them, are limited to some because of their size. Those limitations are increased once you're going down the road. Which is where I would turn them up anyway, and mainly why I want to upgrade While you can hear them sitting still once at speed they aren't a primary audio source that you can actively hear anymore because, well, they are behind you. I'd still leave them in place and run them off the HU. While they don't serve as a good primary audio source when rolling down the road they will still provide enough audio to be fill sound. Thanks, that is what I needed to know. I hope that helps explain it a little more. Whichever direction you decide to go though we'll be happy to help you with whatever questions you have.
I don't have the radio playing off the bike when I am not riding it, and I wasn't sure if upgrading and powering the rear speakers would do anything for me while going down the road, around town I don't have the music load anyway so I don't bother other cars I pull next to and I am not trying to build a competition system, and I mostly listen to FM talk and radio anyway.

That answers my questions, thanks a bunch.

Old 01-24-2015, 03:42 PM
Highwayman-AL
Tourer

Originally Posted by Dr.ultra2010
look at biketronics amp and speaker kit mines awesome spent 599 total... 7.1 titan speakers amp w/fan
Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked it out. The original suggestion with the Kappa speakers and PB300x2 amp and wiring and speaker adaptor comes in around $300.00.

My limit was $500.00. If this included rear speakers speakers powered by an 4 channel amp, than I would go for it, however with still 2 speakers, and an 2 channel amp for $300.00 more I think I will hold off.

Quick Reply: 2012 Limited Music System change.