Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an AMP Required?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:59 PM
rc4life
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is an AMP Required?

OK so I picked up a set of complete bags with bagger audio speaker lids and every all together locally for $200 and SMOKING deal..

Then I purchased a HAWG Wired DCS120 amp and wiring kit brand new from ebay for $100 shipped, another smoking deal.

Now heres the thing, Im not a huge music guy, I bought this all because it was too good to pass up and my wife(she barely rides with me any way) has a hard time hearing the radio when we are cruising 60-90. I can hear the radio just fine and its normally more than enough for me. Can I just run the bag speakers off the fairing speakers and have a noticeably louder set up for my wife? Or is the Amp 100% necessary? The reason I ask is because I only have $300 into the whole set up, and being Im a wheeler and a dealer I know I could almost triple my investment if I sell it. I would much rather put the money into parts I actually WANT..The bags and speakers are used so I have no problem using them, but the amp kit is brand new and if not 100% necessary I would rather keep it new so I could get more money out of the whole kit.

Whats your suggestion?

Old 01-13-2015, 02:33 PM
Brettfullthrottle
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I suggest you sell the amplifier to me for what you paid for it.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:33 PM
haze324
Elite HDF Member

Received 458 Likes on 336 Posts

what type of bag speakers. The stock radio I think only pushes 22w per channel. That's not much for a larger speaker. You won't hear it on the highway at those speeds. If the call is 100.00 bucks, then use the amp.....you'll get much more sound from what you have an easily worth the 100 bucks.

Now if you want to do it right. That's a 2 channel amp, and you have 4 speakers. Sell it and for 100 bucks you can get other 4 channel amps (Power Acoustik or Soundstream) that can push all of your speakers for the same cost. Only caveat is you might lose FM reception with these two other amps.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:34 PM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rc4life
OK so I picked up a set of complete bags with bagger audio speaker lids and every all together locally for $200 and SMOKING deal..

Then I purchased a HAWG Wired DCS120 amp and wiring kit brand new from ebay for $100 shipped, another smoking deal.

Now heres the thing, Im not a huge music guy, I bought this all because it was too good to pass up and my wife(she barely rides with me any way) has a hard time hearing the radio when we are cruising 60-90. I can hear the radio just fine and its normally more than enough for me. Can I just run the bag speakers off the fairing speakers and have a noticeably louder set up for my wife? Or is the Amp 100% necessary? The reason I ask is because I only have $300 into the whole set up, and being Im a wheeler and a dealer I know I could almost triple my investment if I sell it. I would much rather put the money into parts I actually WANT..The bags and speakers are used so I have no problem using them, but the amp kit is brand new and if not 100% necessary I would rather keep it new so I could get more money out of the whole kit.

Whats your suggestion?
I would just install the amp .just for the simple fact you want her to say yeah I'm glad you did this or do you want to hear say it could be louder. For what you paid for it you might as well just install it and save you some grief down the road. that's just my opinion man. But you have to make sure you let us know what you decided

Old 01-13-2015, 03:08 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Happy wife Happy Life. . . Hook the dam thing up. . .lol Amp is necessary. Haze and Griff both have excellent suggestions. . .

Old 01-13-2015, 03:27 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

I think we're all trying to say you cheap sob put the amp in. let's see a wheel and deal your way out of that one. Lol

Last edited by tdgriff; 01-13-2015 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:31 PM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You don't need any music, the only sound you need is the sound of the open road...some goof ball said that somewhere on here. Anyways, run the amp, your wife will thank you later...

Old 01-13-2015, 04:38 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

Originally Posted by austinslider
You don't need any music, the only sound you need is the sound of the open road...some goof ball said that somewhere on here. Anyways, run the amp, your wife will thank you later...
LOL that was good . I was wondering where you were going with that.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:56 PM
rc4life
Intermediate

Sounds good, I already had the outter fairing off and ready to install it, but just wanted to make sure its what I wanted to do..Thanks every one for their input.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:36 PM
rc4life
Intermediate

ok heres another thing...I have stock speakers up front, adding rear 6x9 bag speakers and the amp is a 2 channel...Install the amp and run the speakers off the fronts like I was going too?

Quick Reply: Is an AMP Required?