Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&M in 2014 SG amp and speaker review

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 08:59 PM
Sammyboy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default J&M in 2014 SG amp and speaker review

Ok, so here goes my best attempt at an honest objective review of J&M's Rockker speaker and amp for my 2014 Street Glide. First, I guess I should tell you exactly what I purchased and where.
1 x J&M ROKKER XX 6.65" Fairing Speaker kit 2014 Harley StreetGlide/Ultra (HCRK-6652TW-RXX) = $265.00
1 x J&M ROKKER XT-P series 500w 4-ch Amplifier kit 2014 StreetGlide W/Lwr or Rear Spkrs (JAMP-500HC14-SGP) = $579.95
1 x J&M FLEXPOWER In-Fairing AM/FM/WB Antenna 2014 Harley Ultra/StreetGlide (FPA-HCFM14-P) = $39.95
I purchased these items from DirectCycleParts.com out of California because they had the best price I could find, and they are a preferred J&M dealer. The speakers and antenna were shipped UPS from them, but the Amp was drop shipped from J&M a couple of days later. I asked why this was and was told the amp was being programmed, and wiring harnesses made special for my bike. Not so sure what makes my SG so special, but nice touch. Bottom line, everything arrived on time and in good order. (Mostly, more later) So, I got my garage heater and all my tools and started the install. I'm not going to do a step by step install, just a review of the hardware and process. I will say that the install required the removal of the fuel tank and outer fairing. Didn't really have any problems, but a lot of screws, bolts, connectors, snaps, wire ties and head scratchin. So, unless your an old hat, a service manual would be a good idea. Everything mostly went very well. As advertised, the entire process was perfectly plug and play. Absolutely zero wire cutting or splicing. The directions were concise and to the point, and covered just about everything. The wiring diagram for the amp was a bit vague, but adequate for the job. Also, I might suggest that J&M could give some direction and figures on how to best place and secure the birds nest of wiring associated with this install. I think I spent as much time securing the wires so the fairing would go back on as I did on any other phase of the install. The entire install took me (somewhat OCD) about 2 days of off and on work. One note on the hardware you might pay attention to. The stainless steel tray that J&M provided has very sharp edges. Not a good idea with a lot of wires packed into a place that vibrates like crazy. I took a file to the edges for about an hour to smooth them best I could. Also, in full disclosure, when I received the amp the connector housing on the power wires was damaged. I was able to make the connection with a little black tape. After contacting john at J&M they shipped me a new connector. **** happens and they took good care of the problem. I did some before and after sound readings with a sound meter app on my phone and iPad, but I'm not sure how reliable the readings are. They showed a 10 to 15db increase in volume. However my very untrained ear said WOW!! That's a lot louder. You can actually feel the sound and air pressure coming off the speakers.
The in-fairing am fm antenna was easy to install and gets maybe about 70% of the reception compared with the stock antenna. This is kinda subjective. The major fm stations in my area come in just fine but the number of stations overall is limited. Will not pic up all the presets I had with stock, and forget weather. Didn't check am. My only suggestion would be to install while the left speaker pod was out to route behind/under a couple of places where routing interfered with the outer fairing. All in all, ok.
Now for what I consider to be an important, for lac of a better term, "problem". When I turned the stereo on for the first time, I noticed a distinct hiss coming from the speakers when the volume was all the way down. As I slowly turned the volume up the hiss can be heard up to about 3 or 4 notches. I don't think it goes away, the music just drowns it out at that volume level. I called J&M service to ask about this and was told that this is normal due to some technical reasons. I did some reading online and did kinda verified this answer. I am certainly not a big audiofile, but it seems to me that the hiss is excessive. I'm going to continue to research this and possibly contact J&M for a gain reduction. To my knowledge, I cannot manually adjust the gain on the amp. Any help or advice anyone has on this would be great.
In summary, the hardware came plug and play as promised. The install wasn't hard but not with out some difficulty in wire management. J&M and DirectCycleParts were prompt and helpful. The sound, base response and clarity after the install was impressive. Impressive enough to order the Rokker 5x7s for my saddlebags. Because of the weather, I haven't been able to evaluate the sound at highway speed, but I'll do that as soon as I can. Judging by what I hear in my garage I don't think I'll have any problem hearing my music at speed.
A little off topic, if anyone knows if the Harley HU can read playlists off a thumb drive I'd like to know how.

Old 01-03-2015, 01:50 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

sammyboy ,,,,,

thank you for your evaluation of the ROKKER system on your 2014 StreetGlide and your loyalty to the J&M product line-up ,,,,,

are you able to give me the date of purchase for both your amplifier and speakers ? ,,,,,,, and do you still have the original box that the speakers were packed in ? ,,,,

Old 01-04-2015, 07:27 AM
Sammyboy
Novice

Hey John, I purchased them on Monday December 01, 2014 and I do still have the box.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:26 AM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

We made a crossover network change on those speakers at the very end of December, which could change the way that the higher frequencies come thru ,,,,,,

I have not had any prior complaints of hiss with our systems, and it may be that since you cannot really get the bike on the road at this time, that the normal amplifier noise may just seem more pronounced with the bike indoors in the garage ,,,,,

what are you using for a music source thru the Harley Infotainment system ? ,,,,,,,

I would also be happy to change the crossover network on the speakers you purchased in early December, at no charge if you want to see if it makes a difference ,,,,

Old 01-04-2015, 09:53 AM
Sammyboy
Novice

Thanks John, you could be right on the normal amp noise. Just seems like a lot of hiss at low volume levels. Not sure what a crossover network change is, but i think I need to get the bike out on the road in the spring for a better sound evaluation. After that, if needed, I'll start making some changes. I'm using a USB thumb drive. Thanks again.