Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketronics 6.5 in lower fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 06:58 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by keno
Thanks Kryingame. Yes Bill said it would be wired in parallel. Sounds like it should be plug n play.. Yeah! On another note, my lowers have the HD liners in them. I wonder if I use them with the speakers or remove them?
Thanks!
See this post (the entire thread is very helpful) from Harleypingman- the pioneering soul who made the CVO pod swap so easy for the rest of us...you have to replace the "glove-box" part to swap in the CVO speaker pods. If you haven't done that, you can't mount speakers in your lowers.

I actually sold the entire glove-box parts to a buddy since I'd converted the doors to the magnetic flaps; so I'm "stuck" with my BT 6.5" speakers in my lowers. Poor me!

Old 12-29-2014, 09:10 AM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Duh! I should have realized they have to be swapped out for the CVO speaker pods so I wouldn't be using them. speakers get here today and the pod parts in a week Can't wait to install them.
Thankis Guys!

Old 12-29-2014, 04:39 PM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by vhmike73
See this post (the entire thread is very helpful) from Harleypingman- the pioneering soul who made the CVO pod swap so easy for the rest of us...you have to replace the "glove-box" part to swap in the CVO speaker pods. If you haven't done that, you can't mount speakers in your lowers.

I actually sold the entire glove-box parts to a buddy since I'd converted the doors to the magnetic flaps; so I'm "stuck" with my BT 6.5" speakers in my lowers. Poor me!
+1 for Carl. GREAT GUY!!!!
Kris

Old 12-30-2014, 12:52 AM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by keno
Duh! I should have realized they have to be swapped out for the CVO speaker pods so I wouldn't be using them. speakers get here today and the pod parts in a week Can't wait to install them.
Thankis Guys!
One point: the CVO speaker pods come unfinished in sort of the 'flat black' that the inner fairings are finished in, so you MAY want to paint them to match your bike, or at least give them a gloss-black finish (carefully, with a rattle-can!)...I know mine weren't perfectly 'matte black' (they seemed to have a kind of 'wavy' finish), but since I had them painted White Hot Denim (then used the CVO grilles which fit perfectly over the BT 6.5" speakers), that wasn't much of an issue. I guess another option would be to have a local upholstery shop wrap them in black leather or leatherette, similar to the way the original 'glove box' parts look.

At any rate, you'll love the extra sound!!

Last edited by vhmike73; 12-30-2014 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:56 AM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Mike!

Old 12-30-2014, 08:16 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like Kutter HD isn't processing orders until the 5th of Jan so I'll get them ordered next week.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:05 AM
Geezer glider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wasn't impressed with the finish on the CVO pods I recieved. But, I'm not ready to paint the bike the way I want, so figured I would install just to see how it all looks and sounds. Well, I was just fine cause I road most of last summer that way and love the sound quality and volume. I'm running 6.5's in the lowers and 7.1's in the fairing driven by 4180 amp and Sony HU. I figured if I'm gonna have an amp, i didn't want to play any games so I went with the Bike Tronics setup, Bill and all the people there are great to deal with.

I used generic speaker grills on the lowers that are car audio push on types. I made a spacer to hold out away from the speaker so as no touching during usage, then drilled and dimpled mounting holes, then used stainless steel screws to attach the grills. I didn't want to spend the money on HD cvo grills.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:59 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

I ended up ordering anyways last night, less than $150 for pods grills and screws. Now to decide if I'll try to rattle can paint or find a local paint shop? I have been wanting to paint the frame for my CVO LED tour pack lights so it might be the right time to finish the look that I want.

Old 12-31-2014, 09:33 AM
BlackPearl#1
Stellar HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 113 Posts

Any other ideas for grills on the BT 6.5s in the lowers?
Kris

Old 12-31-2014, 09:56 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Any other ideas for grills on the BT 6.5s in the lowers?
Kris
from the research Ive been doing it seems any 6 1/2 grill will work, but if you want flush mounted grills the cvo style are the ones to use.

Quick Reply: Biketronics 6.5 in lower fairing?