Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrade or not?? A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 04:43 PM
pworks
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Upgrade or not?? A few questions

I'm going to open the fairing in a couple of weeks and I only want to do it once. I'd like some comment and suggestions. I have a RFx2 amp running polk 6 1/2" speakers with the stock head unit on my 07 Streetglide. It sounds good but I'm willing to upgrade.

1. I ran the ground wire to the amp to the screw at the neck. I see in more recent posts that the wire should be run back to the battery. Should I do that or leave it as is??

2. I'm thinking about an upgrade. Thinking about the BT 7.1's. I see there is a pro version and a regular version. Is the difference in price worth it with my setup? Would the BT's be a big or small improvement over the Polks.

3. Would I see more improvement with a new head unit. I think I'd like the features better.

I don't just want to spend money unless there'll be a noticeable improvement. I'm not an audiophile and don't listen at ear bleeding volumes. I really want something that sounds good at moderate levels. I ride a lot of back roads at 50-60mph so I don't expect big sound at 80.

I appreciate your input.

Don

Last edited by pworks; 12-26-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-26-2014, 10:52 PM
bsnilloc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1 - If you are running one of the PBR300X2 amps then yes you should run the ground all the way back which was actually published in a rockford fosgate advisory publication

2 - I have the regular BT7.1 and love them with the PBR300X2 amp personally but that is all according to taste. I also don't know if it was just me or not, but it seemed like the speakers came to life after a bit of a break in period so be patient if you do buy them.

3 - I upgraded this month to an Alpine headunit (craigslist steal) and the bike is laid up for the winter so I have not been able to play with it and evaluate if it was worth it. That being said I can tell you my intentions... My reasons for upgrading were iPod control via factory controls, bluetooth options, better audio via 4V preamp outputs, HD radio, Sirius options etc etc. The factory headunit with an aux line in from my phone was just not cutting it for me.

Just my $.02. If what you are running now sounds good but you want options for bluetooth or iPod then maybe just get a head unit. If you want more sound maybe just the speakers. If you want both then get out the check book...

Good Luck!

Last edited by bsnilloc; 12-26-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:09 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Don - Once you get this audio thing started there is no such thing as only going in the fairing "Once" Not gonna happen. . .lol Secondly, the ground should run to the battery. Thirdly the aftermarket head unit is going to give you better sound and more options. I assume you have a two speaker system since you have a street glide. The set up you have right now is pretty dam good with the X2 and the polks. If you wanted to upgrade to hear a significant difference. My recommendation would be the Rockford Fosgate T400X2AD with the BT7.1's or the Pro's. Sell the X2 and the Polks to offset the cost.

Last edited by Gannicus; 12-27-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:04 AM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Don - Once you get this audio thing started there is no such thing as only going in the fairing "Once" Not gonna happen. . .lol Secondly, the ground should run to the battery. Thirdly the aftermarket head unit is going to give you better sound and more options. I assume you have a two speaker system since you have a street glide. The set up you have right now is pretty dam good with the X2 and the polks. If you wanted to upgrade to hear a significant difference. My recommendation would be the Rockford Fosgate T400X2AD with the BT7.1's or the Pro's. Sell the X2 and the Polks to offset the cost.
I have to say That makes alot of sense. I think you hit that right on the head. I would upgrade to a new HU.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:56 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I would do 1 step at the time. I started with Stock HU, 300X2 and Polks. Same as you. Then Pioneer HU / BT100x combo added. Was better. Then added Pioneers in the lids with SS4.520. Then changed SS out for RZ4.2000D. Then Pioneers in the lids replaced with JBLs. I am "happy" now... FOR NOW that is.
If I could fit a TN4.900 in the fairing, I'd probably would go that route... BT speakers for faring probably in the (near) future if I can pick them up for "cheap". Perhaps even BT amp (4180). Audio is an addiction (to me and others here).
Plus the fact I like to tinker... Over the holidays I fixed a 10 year old 60 inch Samsung DLP which a close friend of mine did not want anymore... for 0 bucks!!! I have build my own end amps back in the day for my old band's PA System.
But then again, audio is very subjective. it is all about how your ears work (OL's frequency is tuned out by now LMAO), what you are looking for and what type of music you play.

P.S. 1 Step at the time meaning, pick the HU you REALLY want, so you do not have to change that one out again. I personally would go with ASWC-1 / Metra combo for controls, see sticky.
Those together should not cost you more than 2-2.5 Benjamins. if you are not satisfied after that upgrade, you can replace amp and/or speakers...

Last edited by AAWAV; 12-29-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-29-2014, 12:01 PM
Herksuper
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yup, one step at a time...reckon I took a huge step. Good luck with your choices and post back with feedback on what you chose.