Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good amp without losing fm ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 10:47 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Good amp without losing fm ?

Its slow at work, and raining here, so I have some free time to think about audio on my glide. I have Polk audio mm651's with stock head unit and currently have a sound stream pn4.520. Man that amp really does kick, compared to the rockford fosgate pbr300x2.

However, I do miss fm reception from time to time and was wondering is there an amp out there that can kick like the soundstream, but not sacrifice fm reception?

I thought I heard that rockford came out with a newer improved amp that was still under 200 bucks but cant seem to find anything on it.

So do I go back to pbr300x2 and sacrifice some of that kick *** volume?

Stay with the soundstream, get an mp3 player and live without fm? (and if mp3 player what would you recommend and whats the best way to install so it stays charged off running bike?)

Or is there another beastly amp on market for under 200?

Thanks for your input.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
Its slow at work, and raining here, so I have some free time to think about audio on my glide. I have Polk audio mm651's with stock head unit and currently have a sound stream pn4.520. Man that amp really does kick, compared to the rockford fosgate pbr300x2.

However, I do miss fm reception from time to time and was wondering is there an amp out there that can kick like the soundstream, but not sacrifice fm reception?

I thought I heard that rockford came out with a newer improved amp that was still under 200 bucks but cant seem to find anything on it.

So do I go back to pbr300x2 and sacrifice some of that kick *** volume?

Stay with the soundstream, get an mp3 player and live without fm? (and if mp3 player what would you recommend and whats the best way to install so it stays charged off running bike?)

Or is there another beastly amp on market for under 200?

Thanks for your input.
Guy's have had very good luck with the Cerwin Vega B4.

Old 12-24-2014, 07:30 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I've seen nothing but good reviews on this thing but haven't personally tried one yet. I asked a while back on an audio forum about the FM interference and a few of the reponses I received were "i've got it installed on top of my head unit and it does not interfere with FM". Course this is in a car but nonetheless. I definitely like the size of it and the cost is not bad either.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...NVX-MVPA4.html

Old 12-24-2014, 07:38 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I've seen nothing but good reviews on this thing but haven't personally tried one yet. I asked a while back on an audio forum about the FM interference and a few of the reponses I received were "i've got it installed on top of my head unit and it does not interfere with FM". Course this is in a car but nonetheless. I definitely like the size of it and the cost is not bad either.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...NVX-MVPA4.html
see review below - bottom line ~90W @ 2 ohm, ~50W at 4 ohm.
potential heat issues when running ot hard...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...amplifier.html

Old 12-24-2014, 08:24 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by AAWAV

Nutz might have found a diamond in the rough. . . Sonic certified the amp 93 watts@ 4 ohms. . Not bad given it's size. We need to buy it AAWAV and check it out. After Christmas I'll send you one.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:06 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

although I agree with you, I really don't see this being an issue with a Class D amp especially being mounted inside the fairing where some air does flow. Any amp is going to heat up when mounted in an enclosed area such as mine with the tourpak mounted amps or saddlebags. but even those big amps only get warm to the touch after running a while hence the beauty of Class D technology. I'll trade Glacierpearl's "terrestrial radio" any day for Class D on these bikes.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:15 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Nutz might have found a diamond in the rough. . . Sonic certified the amp 93 watts@ 4 ohms. . Not bad given it's size. We need to buy it AAWAV and check it out. After Christmas I'll send you one.
Yippie - another christmas present
we only got about 50+ under the tree LOL

To UN - The heat we probably CAN "ignore" - just pointing out what the review said. Although review does not state how the amp was tested... so many different ways, right. Apples and Oranges, Batwing and Shark nose...

Old 12-24-2014, 09:20 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Yippie - another christmas present
we only got about 50+ under the tree LOL

To UN - The heat we probably CAN "ignore" - just pointing out what the review said. Although review does not state how the amp was tested... so many different ways, right. Apples and Oranges, Batwing and Shark nose...
exactly.. that guy could have had that amp installed in a center console on a Polaris RAZR as far as we know. If you know anything about the RAZR, it's a HOT **** between those two front seats.

Old 12-24-2014, 09:25 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
exactly.. that guy could have had that amp installed in a center console on a Polaris RAZR as far as we know. If you know anything about the RAZR, it's a HOT **** between those two front seats.
too funny - Got brand new 4 seater RAZR in the garage and a 4 seater WildCat on the driveway... I guess Santa has been good to me LOL
kidding - Razr is stashed here for Christmas from a neighbor, Wildcat I had to fix broken rear axle with Son (from my Son's friends).
they ARE fun but man, what a money pit those things are...

Old 12-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ultranutz
exactly.. That guy could have had that amp installed in a center console on a polaris razr as far as we know. If you know anything about the razr, it's a hot **** between those two front seats.
lmao!!!