Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want to add lower fairing speakers w/ and w/o tourpak

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 03:48 PM
smittydog27
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default want to add lower fairing speakers w/ and w/o tourpak

ok...I have 2008 RG. I have added (detachable) tourpak with boom speakers. I also upgraded front fairing speakers (Boom) and installed the Boom fairing amp. Took to dealer and they did software update for fading ability. Everything is good.

This past fall I added the lower vented fairings. Just moved on from GF and now I am taking off tourpak (but will put it on for future use and trips). I want to add the Boom lower fairing speakers. From my understanding, the Boom amp will only support two (2) sets of speakers. Ok, I had front and rear on fairing amp.

Now, here is the million dollar question. Will I need to add tourpak amp (76000068)? and it will power rear speakers? (and the front fairing & lower fairing speakers driven by fairing amp?)

Does anyone have this set up? (I do not want to change brands)

Thanks,
Steve

Old 12-11-2014, 07:00 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Is the fairing amp a two channel or 4 channel amp?

Old 12-11-2014, 08:42 PM
smittydog27
Advanced

4 channel ? it's the factory Boom amp for the fairing. I looked on the parts catalog and it shows 40w a channel for 160w total.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:00 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Ok. . . Not many of us deal with the boom system here. But that's not to say we aren't familiar with it. Many of us has at one time or another had the boom system and elected to move on to a different system. You on the other hand appear to be very happy with the boom system and do not want to change brands as you stated. That said. I'm trying to understand your question. If the fairing amp is a four channel and the tour pak amp is a four channel then the tour pak amp will power the rear speakers + 2 more speakers?

Old 12-11-2014, 11:57 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

That's a lot of coins for such little return.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Old 12-12-2014, 01:44 PM
smittydog27
Advanced

So, my current set up is boom fairing amp driving front fairing speakers and rear speakers on tourpak.

I removed my tourpak, so no rear speakers now.

I want to add boom lower fairing speakers, but how will they hook up? If I hook them up to the front fairing amp, then I will not be able to use my rear speakers when I put the tourpak back on. Will I need to add tourpak amp, and when I do, how will I hook the two amps up correctly?

I mean the new (and previous) Ultra's have this set up, no? I know HD says the set up is NOT for detachable (not sold that way on Ultra) tourpak. But there has to be a way.

And yes, I'm ok with the Boom set up. I've had custom stereo set up on house, cars, etc, but I only need to hear tunes until about 70MPH. After that, I turn off the radio and focus on the road and look at the scenery around me. I mostly ride backroads and hate highways.

Old 12-12-2014, 02:55 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by smittydog27
So, my current set up is boom fairing amp driving front fairing speakers and rear speakers on tourpak.

I removed my tourpak, so no rear speakers now.

I want to add boom lower fairing speakers, but how will they hook up? If I hook them up to the front fairing amp, then I will not be able to use my rear speakers when I put the tourpak back on. Will I need to add tourpak amp, and when I do, how will I hook the two amps up correctly?

I mean the new (and previous) Ultra's have this set up, no? I know HD says the set up is NOT for detachable (not sold that way on Ultra) tourpak. But there has to be a way.

And yes, I'm ok with the Boom set up. I've had custom stereo set up on house, cars, etc, but I only need to hear tunes until about 70MPH. After that, I turn off the radio and focus on the road and look at the scenery around me. I mostly ride backroads and hate highways.
Best thing you can do is hook the boom amp up to the front speakers and use an additional 2 channel amp to run the tourpak speakers. The Boom amp is already hooked up to the fairing speakers. All you would have to do is disconnect the rear speakers from the amp and connect the lower fairing speakers to the fairing amp. Done.

The two channel amp will be a stand alone amp with it's own power and ground. You can mount it in the fairing or the saddlebags. . .Up to you. A lot of guys use the hog tunes bracket in the fairing to add an additional amp. Or another option would be to run the tour pak speakers off the HU. Won't make a whole lot of difference with the boom speakers.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ho.../part/HT-2CHSP