Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 SG Amp selection

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 09:57 AM
maverick2076
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I'm in Rosenberg, TX. Maybe an hour from you, depending on traffic. Once I get everything together, maybe we can hook up and do the install? I'll provide booze and cigars.

I'd considered the flash, but I hate going to the dealer for anything. My wife is a mechanic at our local indy shop, so I'm spoiled by actual good mechanics and good service.

I've been doing some searching through here, and I see quite a few guys talking positively about the SS PN4.520D or the PA RZ4.2000D. Would you go with one of these over the Alpine or the RF?

Old 11-23-2014, 10:03 AM
maverick2076
Tourer

I know you are the forum guru, and I know a lot of audio companies BS their ratings, but that Alpine advertises 50 watts RMS x4 @4 ohms, and the RF advertises 75 x4 @4 ohms. Is the Alpine really a louder, better amp?

Old 11-23-2014, 10:32 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by maverick2076
Yeah, I'm in Rosenberg, TX. Maybe an hour from you, depending on traffic. Once I get everything together, maybe we can hook up and do the install? I'll provide booze and cigars.

I'd considered the flash, but I hate going to the dealer for anything. My wife is a mechanic at our local indy shop, so I'm spoiled by actual good mechanics and good service.

I've been doing some searching through here, and I see quite a few guys talking positively about the SS PN4.520D or the PA RZ4.2000D. Would you go with one of these over the Alpine or the RF?
the thing to remember about these SS and PA amps specifically is you can pretty much forget about FM reception. For the guys who could care less about FM reception, they (esp the SS) will always be my recommendation.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:35 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

I know you are the forum guru, and I know a lot of audio companies BS their ratings, but that Alpine advertises 50 watts RMS x4 @4 ohms, and the RF advertises 75 x4 @4 ohms. Is the Alpine really a louder, better amp?
I'm no guru.. just a guy that knows audio.

Alpine since way back in the day has always under-rated their amps just as Rockford has. That's a dead give away by looking at specs comparing 2Ω to 4Ω as Alpine rates them the same. That's not physically or technically possible. :-) I would say it's a better option yes based solely on my experience with the 300x4. Just not a good performing amp.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:00 AM
maverick2076
Tourer

I so rarely listen to the radio it wouldn't hurt me to lose it. Which would you recommend?

So, is the flash really performing that much better than the magic box? How much does the dealer normally charge to do the flash?

Old 11-23-2014, 11:54 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

I so rarely listen to the radio it wouldn't hurt me to lose it. Which would you recommend?

So, is the flash really performing that much better than the magic box? How much does the dealer normally charge to do the flash?
Nutz is absolutely right about the X4. My recommendation was based on the addition of another set of kickers down the road. Trust me I'm not a fan of the X4 either. But given the two choices presented. I think it's a wash from a power standpoint. By all means if you don't listen to FM go with the soundstream 520.D or the power acoustic RZ4.2000D. Those two amps are always at the top of my list. I've ran them both with the kickers and the set up is awesome!

Old 11-23-2014, 09:21 PM
maverick2076
Tourer

Screw it. Just ordered the PA amp, a pair of the Kicker CS 67's, and a Boss wiring kit one of y'all recommended off Amazon. I'm ready to have better sound. $192 with shipping for everything with Prime shipping on everything but the amp. Plus, I decided to go ahead and get the Amazon Visa, so they gave me a $70 gift card I could use instantly. I don't think you can beat $122 for everything I need to get my basic audio setup started. (except the flash) Once the lowers get in, I'll look for a set of speaker pods and get another pair of speakers. Do y'all recommend any of the speaker pods on Ebay? They are a whole lot cheaper than the HD ones, from what I have seen.

Couple of questions about getting the HU flashed. Should I get it done before or after I do the install? What do I tell them to flash it to? How much should I expect the dealer to charge for it?

Old 11-23-2014, 10:29 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Screw it. Just ordered the PA amp, a pair of the Kicker CS 67's, and a Boss wiring kit one of y'all recommended off Amazon. I'm ready to have better sound. $192 with shipping for everything with Prime shipping on everything but the amp. Plus, I decided to go ahead and get the Amazon Visa, so they gave me a $70 gift card I could use instantly. I don't think you can beat $122 for everything I need to get my basic audio setup started. (except the flash) Once the lowers get in, I'll look for a set of speaker pods and get another pair of speakers. Do y'all recommend any of the speaker pods on Ebay? They are a whole lot cheaper than the HD ones, from what I have seen.

Couple of questions about getting the HU flashed. Should I get it done before or after I do the install? What do I tell them to flash it to? How much should I expect the dealer to charge for it?
Great choice! I always send guys here for lower pods. Great quality and fast shipping.

http://www.slickcustoms.com/speaker-...-fairings.html

When you hook up with Nutz down there in Texas I'm sure he'll take care of you. Hell if was hot outside I'd ride down myself just for
the cold beer. . . lol

* Read the soundz customz link Nutz sent you in regard to the flash.

Last edited by Gannicus; 11-23-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:12 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

you will not regret the PA RZ4 amp - I run it as well... great amp for en even better price.
let us know your verdict...

Old 11-25-2014, 08:08 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Great choice! I always send guys here for lower pods. Great quality and fast shipping.

http://www.slickcustoms.com/speaker-...-fairings.html

When you hook up with Nutz down there in Texas I'm sure he'll take care of you. Hell if was hot outside I'd ride down myself just for
the cold beer. . . lol

* Read the soundz customz link Nutz sent you in regard to the flash.
you guys are always welcome to visit.. even if it's just for the beer.

Quick Reply: 2014 SG Amp selection