Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on my new system

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:39 PM
13Ultra
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on my new system

I just finished up installing my new amp and speakers and thought I would give them a review.

20213 FLHTK
Stock head unit
Cerwin Vega B4 amp
Infinity Kappa 62.11i speakers (front and rear)
Eastern Performance speaker adapters
BOSS Audio KIT2 8 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit
As much Polyfil as I could stuff in there

$438 into the system for all of the above.

Installing the speakers into the rear pods turned out to be harder than I thought. I couldn't get them to sit perfectly flush and tried several methods to prevent them from hitting the back of the pods, but finally resorted to allowing the screws to pull them in. I hope I don't regret that and nothing breaks.
The front speakers were a snap and the speaker adapters worked as advertised. I reused the stock grills.
The B4 amp was also easy once UltraNutz set me straight on the wiring - THANK YOU! To get the amp to sit level I decided to use some 3/4" wood I had laying around in the hopes that the extra distance from the radio and the wood as an insulator would allow me to keep FM stations. Yay! NO FM loss.
The fairing is now more difficult to install because of all the polyfil.

So I turn on the system without the fairing on and do what I think is right with the gains. I set the HK volume on half and turned the gains up to distortion and then backed off a little.
I must say that I was not impressed at this point. Very little bass, but good volume and much better clarity.
I reinstalled the fairing and the bass is better, but not a lot. Some of this might be the crappy music I have downloaded, but it's still not great with CD's.
All mp3's were run through mp3gain at 93 decibels and that showed some distortion on a few songs.
I haven't had a chance to take it out for a ride yet and see what it sounds like going down the road. Maybe this weekend.
So - am I glad I did it? Yes
Would I like more? - of course!
I am happy with the volume and clarity although I wouldn't call it ear bleeding, but it's plenty loud for an old guy. I would have thought I would get more bass so I'm not sure if I did something wrong or if I have unrealistic expectations. Also, you can tell the head unit is holding it back.
Overall, I think I got a significant upgrade for a very good price.
I should have taken pictures. Didn't think about it until after the fairing was on. I have a couple of long shots, but that's it.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:19 PM
zukeepr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the tweeter db button in or out? Out =more bass
In=less bass more treble. I have the same amp and speakers. Button in made a huge difference. I set hpf around 2 o'clock,set lpf to full and channel to 4. I think my gains are at 2 or 3 o'clock.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:40 PM
13Ultra
Novice

The buttons are out. I couldn't get my gains near that high, they are around 11 0'clock.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:06 AM
zukeepr
Cruiser

All tho gannicus suggested for me to use mp3 gain at 93 db I found that it was to high for the stock h/u. I went back and ran the songs thru at 89 db and that helped me a lot. I will go back and re run them when I get my new h/u in. You may want to give that a try or try resetting the gains with a good quality CD. I set mine with kid rocks rebel soul.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:33 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by zukeepr
All tho gannicus suggested for me to use mp3 gain at 93 db I found that it was to high for the stock h/u. I went back and ran the songs thru at 89 db and that helped me a lot. I will go back and re run them when I get my new h/u in. You may want to give that a try or try resetting the gains with a good quality CD. I set mine with kid rocks rebel soul.
wow - So Gann suggested that huh... taking credits for my suggestion LOL. He is a good friend so just kidding.
default MP3Gain will do 89Db as suggested. I found out on Aftermarket HU 93Db better as otherwise you will lose a lot of volume compared to f.e. Radio or CD. 93Db will remove most of the clipping in MP3's.

Couple of thoughts here:

The push button on the tweeter will not increase (out)/decrease (in) the bass. It acts as if you kick the the mid high and high freq's up a bit via your EQ on your HU (if you have a multiple freq EQ). Regarding bass it will appear you get more bass, but you actually don't.

open op the fairing and ONLY put 2-3 layers (I got 3) of polyfill around the speakers. Don't stuff in as much as you can...

the infinity's are not super strong in the Bass area AFAIK (never ran them)... keep in mind no 6.5 inch speaker will ever perform like a 6x9 in the lids as an example. They ARE really good though, why else are many here running them right?

you will lose bass on the highway anyway, trust me. so it would only be for the Garage or P-lot.

Old 11-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by 13Ultra
The buttons are out. I couldn't get my gains near that high, they are around 11 0'clock.
13Ultra - Are you running on HP or AP? AP is also called full or flat. To get the best out of the infinity's from a bass standpoint. Need to run on AP. Also if your budget permits in the future I would sell the stock HU and go aftermarket. Many more options with the aftermarket HU in regard to EQ and settings.

Old 11-20-2014, 10:01 PM
zukeepr
Cruiser

Gan didn't take credit for it,just suggested. Lol
The cvb4 only has a switch labled lpf or full. this is what I was referring to. I run mine in full. I also have just 3 layers around my front speakers and just a lil bit in rear pods,not overly stuffed. Im sure my new h/u will be much better.

Old 11-20-2014, 11:28 PM
13Ultra
Novice

So, per your suggestions, I took the fairing back off and checked some settings. Somehow the switch had come off of the full setting so I put that back. Then with all of my songs re-run through mp3gain to 91 db I readjusted the gains again. This time I was able to get the gain setting to between 1 and 2 o'clock. It seems a little louder and fuller now although I haven't put the fairing back on. I can go to about the "M' in the volume on the display before it starts distorting. The 25-250hz settings I have all of the way off.
I want to keep the stock head unit because of the intercom and CB features. You can sure tell it is the weak point though.
As soon as I figure out that damn little headlight bulb clip I will put the fairing back on.
I really appreciate all of your help.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:22 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 13Ultra
So, per your suggestions, I took the fairing back off and checked some settings. Somehow the switch had come off of the full setting so I put that back. Then with all of my songs re-run through mp3gain to 91 db I readjusted the gains again. This time I was able to get the gain setting to between 1 and 2 o'clock. It seems a little louder and fuller now although I haven't put the fairing back on. I can go to about the "M' in the volume on the display before it starts distorting. The 25-250hz settings I have all of the way off.
I want to keep the stock head unit because of the intercom and CB features. You can sure tell it is the weak point though.
As soon as I figure out that damn little headlight bulb clip I will put the fairing back on.
I really appreciate all of your help.
Great! What you can do with the stock HU is send it to Iron Cross and have it enhanced to be all it can be and still keep your CB and intercom. The stocker is a good radio after IC does their thing. Stuff Harley Davidson should of done in the first place. Give em a call!

Old 11-21-2014, 12:59 AM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by zukeepr
Gan didn't take credit for it,just suggested. Lol
The cvb4 only has a switch labled lpf or full. this is what I was referring to. I run mine in full. I also have just 3 layers around my front speakers and just a lil bit in rear pods,not overly stuffed. Im sure my new h/u will be much better.
LOL. . .Imitation is the the best form of flattery. . . When I give you guys suggestions from Nutz and AAWAV it's out of huge respect I have for their skill and ability! Not only that I live in my garage testing all of AAWAV's theory's. LMAO! and I gotta admit the man is good! NUTZ . . Well he's just awesome period. It's all about paying it forward to the next guy.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my new system