Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:15 PM
ItchyTF
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Upgrade?

Hello all. My brother has a 2012 Road Glide Ultra and wants to upgrade the stock system. The receiver he is interested in is the Kenwood KMM-BT308U and a RF PBR300X2 amp. Hasn't decided on speakers yet. What else would be necessary to install this receiver/amp and still be able to use his stock hand controls? Thanks in advance for the advice.

ItchyTF

Old 11-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Last302
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Handlebar controller and speakers. You really shouldn't run the stock speakers with an aftermarket amp. I just went through this. There are some bad *** wise men on this site that will hook you up. They like specifics though! Lol! What's the budget, what type of riding and/or sound do you want. What speaker holes are you trying to fill. C'mon!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:55 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

This will assist in the install and facilitate the use of the stock hand controls. http://www.biketronics.com/categorie...-Install-Kits/ He will need to match ohms between amp and speakers. Aftermarket 6.5 inch speakers will require speaker adapters.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:29 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by ItchyTF
Hello all. My brother has a 2012 Road Glide Ultra and wants to upgrade the stock system. The receiver he is interested in is the Kenwood KMM-BT308U and a RF PBR300X2 amp. Hasn't decided on speakers yet. What else would be necessary to install this receiver/amp and still be able to use his stock hand controls? Thanks in advance for the advice.

ItchyTF
couple of things to note that might help you;
  1. that particular head unit is no longer in production so wherever you purchase, it's going to be old stock.
  2. I ALWAYS recommend the use of a good quality rainshield and especially moreso on a Roadie because of the upward angle of the head unit. Vtwin Audio makes the best one IMO. Ain't cheap, but worth it.
  3. If only using a 2 speaker setup, I suggest you go with the biggest you can fit in there. HAT/BT 7.1" speakers, a good head unit with 4v RCA outputs, and that PBR amp is hard to beat price-wise and quality-wise
  4. you'll need about 10' of 10ga power wire. 5' for battery, 5' for ground.
  5. you'll need a fuse holder and 25a fuse to install at the battery on the +12v wire
  6. I would also grab a few feet of 16ga speaker wire as you'll need it to go from the amp to the speakers
  7. get you a small bag of THIN layered polyfil from Walmart in the crafts section and wrap each speaker with 3 thin layers like a cocoon
  8. you'll either need something like the Axxess ASWC-1, PAC SWI-RC, Hawg-wired, Biketronics handlebar controller

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 11-04-2014 at 07:33 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:29 AM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
couple of things to note that might help you;
  1. that particular head unit is no longer in production so wherever you purchase, it's going to be old stock.
  2. I ALWAYS recommend the use of a good quality rainshield and especially moreso on a Roadie because of the upward angle of the head unit. Vtwin Audio makes the best one IMO. Ain't cheap, but worth it.
  3. If only using a 2 speaker setup, I suggest you go with the biggest you can fit in there. HAT/BT 7.1" speakers, a good head unit with 4v RCA outputs, and that PBR amp is hard to beat price-wise and quality-wise
  4. you'll need about 10' of 10ga power wire. 5' for battery, 5' for ground.
  5. you'll need a fuse holder and 25a fuse to install at the battery on the +12v wire
  6. I would also grab a few feet of 16ga speaker wire as you'll need it to go from the amp to the speakers
  7. get you a small bag of THIN layered polyfil from Walmart in the crafts section and wrap each speaker with 3 thin layers like a cocoon
  8. you'll either need something like the Axxess ASWC-1, PAC SWI-RC, Hawg-wired, Biketronics handlebar controller
Very nice write up. I was just about to send you a pm about rain shield. My work truck got broken into and they took my laptop and tablet. So I lost all my stored info. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:30 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by tdgriff
Very nice write up. I was just about to send you a pm about rain shield. My work trucknow got broken into and they took my laptop and tablet. So I lost all my stored info. Thanks for the help.
dang that sucks! F-250 by chance?

Old 11-04-2014, 09:23 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The V-Twin rainshield is worth the money. My bike has been through several rain storms here in Colorado and it holds up perfectly.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:41 AM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
dang that sucks! F-250 by chance?
No Chevy 2500 . Yes is sucks not very happy. I did learn a lesson back up everything you can. Did not mean to hijack your page man but I would go with your Kenwood I love mine .

Old 11-04-2014, 09:47 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the Kenwood

Old 11-04-2014, 10:02 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

+ one on the it sucks factor...

for handlebar controls, if you do not care about AVC (Automatic Volume Control), I would suggest ASWC-1 / Metra combo (~80 bucks total).
See sticky in the audio section. Really simple to "hook up".
BikeTronics and Hawg run similar units but more $$$, with the Biketronics supporting AVC...

Quick Reply: Stereo Upgrade?