Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HK input port bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 12:02 PM
Wheatfield-ez
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HK input port bad?

Ok riding yesterday hit a bump radio went out. Nothing was listening to pandora thru iphone plugged into radio input port. Switched to cd and radio nothing. Powered radio off then back up and it would work for little bit and then nothing. Same thing. Input port bad? Better off replacing head unit? I got rockford fosgate amp pbrx2 300 watt with the mm651 polk speakers. What head unit is best out there right now?

Old 10-27-2014, 12:26 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

IMO you would be better off replacing the HU if you have the stocker. I assume you do judging by your issue. Never fails on the stocker. Some just last longer than others. There is no "BEST" aftermarket head unit out there. It's all a matter of preference. Sony, Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer and Clarion all make good units. Just depends on the features you want and how much you want to pay. Just keep in mind if you go aftermarket and want to maintain handlebar controls you will have to purchase an install kit to accommodate the HU. Several versions of these kits as well with different prices.

Old 10-27-2014, 12:27 PM
tdgriff
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your radios sound board is bad. My buddy just went threw the same thing. Go aftermarket you will be happy.

Old 10-27-2014, 01:22 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheatfield-ez
Ok riding yesterday hit a bump radio went out. Nothing was listening to pandora thru iphone plugged into radio input port. Switched to cd and radio nothing. Powered radio off then back up and it would work for little bit and then nothing. Same thing. Input port bad? Better off replacing head unit? I got rockford fosgate amp pbrx2 300 watt with the mm651 polk speakers. What head unit is best out there right now?

if you're saying that you already have the RF amp and Polk speakers installed, then I would do a little troubleshooting before yanking everything out.

Check that your amp is powered on, fuse is good at battery, if you're using speaker level inputs on amp, make sure the H/L voltage **** to turn the amp on is still set correctly.

In other words, rule out the amp before changing your head unit out.

This is all IF you have the amp installed already.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:58 AM
Wheatfield-ez
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yep will do

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
if you're saying that you already have the RF amp and Polk speakers installed, then I would do a little troubleshooting before yanking everything out.

Check that your amp is powered on, fuse is good at battery, if you're using speaker level inputs on amp, make sure the H/L voltage **** to turn the amp on is still set correctly.

In other words, rule out the amp before changing your head unit out.

This is all IF you have the amp installed already.
I will check amp. But rode again and it cuts out no matter if it's cd, radio, or iphone. And if I turn the radio off and back on it will start playing again

Old 10-29-2014, 11:38 AM
tdgriff
Club Member

Its the hu trust me on this one. Iron cross just got back to my buddy with the same problem . sound board was bad 350.00 to fix it. He is going after market.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:13 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Wheatfield-ez
I will check amp. But rode again and it cuts out no matter if it's cd, radio, or iphone. And if I turn the radio off and back on it will start playing again
doesn't mean it's the radio nor does it mean it's the amp. You need to figure out which is causing the issue. Taking a look at the amp is the easiest to do. If the amp stays on when the audio cuts out then your next step in the process of elimination is to disconnect the speakers from the amp and connect them directly to the head unit to see if it still cuts out. If it does, then you know it's the head unit. If it doesn't, then you know it's the amp

Old 10-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Iron Cross Audio
Former Sponsor
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tdgriff
Its the hu trust me on this one. Iron cross just got back to my buddy with the same problem . sound board was bad 350.00 to fix it. He is going after market.
Flat fee repair is $250...

Old 10-29-2014, 03:26 PM
tdgriff
Club Member

Originally Posted by Iron Cross Audio
Flat fee repair is $250...
Your right it was 250.00 sorry I miss spoke. I know he was going to have rca adapters added.