Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The sound of silence - my HK went quiet

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:00 PM
bgersten
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The sound of silence - my HK went quiet

Was out for a ride today and my HK went silent. Power was on - display was lit - but no sound. Nothing from WB, AM, FB or AUX. I pressed the power button "off" and then "on" and sound returned - but only for several minutes before it went silent again. Whenever I repeated the power off/on cycle and I got similar results - a few minutes of music and then silence. Any ideas as to what might be going on? I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:11 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I wouldn't think that the internals of ANY head unit are serviceable by a typical user (at least this user). You will likely have to pull it and take/send it out for service. Iron Cross is frequently mentioned on this forum for HU work. Or....it would be a good time to upgrade your HU to one that's equipped with bluetooth, most likely for less than fixing your current HK. The downside is you'll need the Biketronics hand control kit.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:16 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by bgersten
Was out for a ride today and my HK went silent. Power was on - display was lit - but no sound. Nothing from WB, AM, FB or AUX. I pressed the power button "off" and then "on" and sound returned - but only for several minutes before it went silent again. Whenever I repeated the power off/on cycle and I got similar results - a few minutes of music and then silence. Any ideas as to what might be going on? I appreciate any thoughts on this.
Part of the "DNA" of the Harley stock radio my friend. Time to upgrade to an aftermarket unit or call iron cross audio.

201-207-8003
www.ironcrossaudio.com

Old 10-21-2014, 11:03 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
I wouldn't think that the internals of ANY head unit are serviceable by a typical user (at least this user). You will likely have to pull it and take/send it out for service. Iron Cross is frequently mentioned on this forum for HU work. Or....it would be a good time to upgrade your HU to one that's equipped with bluetooth, most likely for less than fixing your current HK. The downside is you'll need the Biketronics hand control kit.
BT100x set is nice, but there are other less expensive alternatives, IF you do not care about AVC...

I would go with aftermarket HU (100-200 bucks), Axxess ASWC-1 / Metra handlebar/bracket combo (~80) and a rain guard (BT has one, the general consensus here is the v-twin brand being superior to any other but more expensive).
total ~ 200-300 bucks EQUALS way better sound and then also Bluetooth / USB capabilities...
just my 2 cents as usual. above does not include speakers/amp....

Old 10-22-2014, 10:15 AM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

What year is your bike?

Old 10-24-2014, 01:11 PM
bgersten
Intermediate

It's a 2011. Can't believe I'm replacing the radio after only 4 years. The HK is nothing great, but should last longer.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:19 PM
bgersten
Intermediate

If you do care about AVC - are there any options other than HK? I'm definitely not getting another one of those.

What is HU?

What is the vtwin brand for the rain guard? I definitely want to get a rain guard - but sure if the BT is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:26 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,910 Likes on 22,771 Posts

Do you have an amp on it per chance?

Old 10-24-2014, 03:48 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

If you do care about AVC - are there any options other than HK? I'm definitely not getting another one of those.

What is HU?

What is the vtwin brand for the rain guard? I definitely want to get a rain guard - but sure if the BT is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your help.
If you care about AVC this installation kit is compatible with most Head Units (HU)

http://www.biketronics.com/bt-1005x-...o-install-kit/

Old 10-24-2014, 05:03 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

HU=head unit, the radio itself. The above mentioned kit enable use of the stock radio hand controls and automatic volume control (AVC).

Quick Reply: The sound of silence - my HK went quiet