Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Glich in the system

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 06:20 PM
wheelzk
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glich in the system

Ok I've got to ask as I'm far from educated on these electronics. I've got something happening in my stereo. This is an aftermarket Sony head with a small Sony amp and some Biketronics speakers. Everything was working all good until a mishap with turning the volume up. The button must have stuck and the volume got turned almost all the way up. I was able to reverse it and turn it back down almost a second after this happened. Now the radio will be working fine and then just cut off. Then come back off for maybe ten seconds then go back out. Sometimes it will go out for five or more seconds and come back on for a minute. No real pattern to this. What have I got going on here. Have I damaged the amplifier chip in the head possibly? When its on and playing it seems fine as can be. Then just goes in and out randomly. Any fixes or ?????

Old 10-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelzk
Ok I've got to ask as I'm far from educated on these electronics. I've got something happening in my stereo. This is an aftermarket Sony head with a small Sony amp and some Biketronics speakers. Everything was working all good until a mishap with turning the volume up. The button must have stuck and the volume got turned almost all the way up. I was able to reverse it and turn it back down almost a second after this happened. Now the radio will be working fine and then just cut off. Then come back off for maybe ten seconds then go back out. Sometimes it will go out for five or more seconds and come back on for a minute. No real pattern to this. What have I got going on here. Have I damaged the amplifier chip in the head possibly? When its on and playing it seems fine as can be. Then just goes in and out randomly. Any fixes or ?????
If your head unit has a reset button . . . Reset it. If not disconnect the positive lead to the battery and that should reset the unit. The guys will chime in shortly. I'm sure someone here has had the same issue.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:08 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

yep - reset unit - you can pull the main fuse as well...
or if you got the fairing open, disconnect connector from Sony HU (saves you a bit of time to setup "the bike".
Go from there.

I do not really understand "small sony amp"... are you using the build in amp on the sony HU? or separate amp? if separate, disconnect the HU from the amp and then hook up a speaker directly to one of the HU speaker outputs and see if it cuts in and out.
try to elimitate each component (I would do reset via battery, then if still issues, disconnect amp and hook up speaker to HU, then... ???? probably HU kaput...)

Old 10-21-2014, 06:23 AM
wheelzk
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My amp is separate or external. I tried the reset thing at the battery. No luck there. I may have started to narrow it down possibly. By the way it has gotten worse and is all but out now. Now sound coming through. I defiantly need to get under the fairing and start checking connections and such. What I was thinking now is my plug and play conversion module from biketronics could be going out. I noticed my hand controls were also acting up and were intermittingly stopping to work. I am on my second one of those modules. The last one I had go bad almost two years ago. Don't recall the sound coming and going like this though. Just the hand controls went out. Anyway thanks for any and all help.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:30 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by wheelzk
My amp is separate or external. I tried the reset thing at the battery. No luck there. I may have started to narrow it down possibly. By the way it has gotten worse and is all but out now. Now sound coming through. I defiantly need to get under the fairing and start checking connections and such. What I was thinking now is my plug and play conversion module from biketronics could be going out. I noticed my hand controls were also acting up and were intermittingly stopping to work. I am on my second one of those modules. The last one I had go bad almost two years ago. Don't recall the sound coming and going like this though. Just the hand controls went out. Anyway thanks for any and all help.
Do you have the model number of that amp?

Old 10-21-2014, 07:18 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Gannicus
Do you have the model number of that amp?
Gannicus I think is on the right track here. pull fairing cap off and watch amp when this happens. If it's going into protect mode (usually has a protect light on it) you've likely damaged a speaker voice coil. When it (voice coil) gets hot it's likely causing your amp to go into protect mode.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:22 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Gannicus I think is on the right track here. pull fairing cap off and watch amp when this happens. If it's going into protect mode (usually has a protect light on it) you've likely damaged a speaker voice coil. When it (voice coil) gets hot it's likely causing your amp to go into protect mode.
Still does not explain the BT100x going wacko... but as Gannicus and UN between the lines stated: step by step elimination. start with the amp... once that is resolved (or not; I do not hope so for you) look at the other components...

Old 10-21-2014, 07:36 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

guess I should have read further into it to see "other" problems he was having and also your initial post. my bad..

process of elimination is the key to finding your issues OP.

**DISCLAIMER**
Does not work on Girlfriends or Wives. Not © by UltraNutZ

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 10-22-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 03:23 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
process of elimination is the key to finding your issues OP.

I tried that several times with my OL, but does not seem to help LMAO...

Old 10-22-2014, 04:33 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by AAWAV

I tried that several times with my OL, but does not seem to help LMAO...
ok because of this post I had to correct my initial post with disclaimer and © notice.

Quick Reply: Glich in the system