Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Softy 103
Banned
Received 259 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Amp Help

Ok so I bought Boom speakers and wrapped them with poly fill and yes they are considerably better than stock, I am looking for a little more or better sound, can I achieve this by adding an amp, if so what do some of you advise? If not what do you suggest? I know you get what you pay for, but I don't want to break the bank either. So can I add an amp or do I need more ?

Old 10-08-2014, 07:18 PM
AAWAV
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Softy 103
Ok so I bought Boom speakers and wrapped them with poly fill and yes they are considerably better than stock, I am looking for a little more or better sound, can I achieve this by adding an amp, if so what do some of you advise? If not what do you suggest? I know you get what you pay for, but I don't want to break the bank either. So can I add an amp or do I need more ?
amp will make it a bit better... you should have read up on some stuff here... you seem to go down the path (many) others have gone trying to do it a little bit, then not enough, so a bit more, etc...

I am personally not a fan of the boom speakers...
simple upgrade of speakers to a less expensive good speaker and a "proven" amp (budget) should have been the better route (yes you will need speaker adapter rings for 6.5's and also a 10AWG powerline set; cost total should not exceed 50 bucks for those 2)

RF PBR300x2 is the most "common" used 2 channel amp - it lets you keep FM reception unlike MOST (not all) other Class D amps (PBR is NOT a Class D amp BTW). other options are possible as well...
"blasting" the PBR... pretty sure the BOOM cones will fly by your ears (aka will blow the speakers).
I am not familiar enough with lower Wattage amps (more in the 40-70W / channel range). others will tell you for sure, just wait...

speakers: many choices, Gannicus, UN, GP, ...will chime is as usual....

Old 10-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Audio suicide trying to amp those speakers unless you go with the 40 watt boom amp. All that will do is **** you off. Sell the Boom speakers. As AAWAV suggested buy yourself a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 and a set of Infinity 62.11i speakers and rock on! A set of Infinity's can be had here for $109.00 :
http://www.caraudiogiants.com/infini...FQsKaQodkCgAfQ

Fosgate amp here :

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/rockford...FUE0aQodLjUAdA

Aprox: $280.00 Bank not broken.
You will have to spend another 50-60 bucks on adaptor rings and a wiring kit. Done.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:37 AM
Softy 103
Banned

Thanks guys I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff, however I am somewhat mechanically inclined, so should I be able to install this kind of upgrade myself? I did put the booms in myself but all that wiring that you see on those amps is kind of intimidating

Old 10-09-2014, 09:53 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Softy, I would use something like the Alpine KTP445U on those speakers. Just enough power to bring them alive but not kill them.

Course you could always use a PBR300x2 and turn the gains down and then later on if you decide to change speakers, you have plenty of amp to do it with.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:57 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Thanks guys I am an idiot when it comes to this stuff, however I am somewhat mechanically inclined, so should I be able to install this kind of upgrade myself? I did put the booms in myself but all that wiring that you see on those amps is kind of intimidating
unless you are color blind / do not know what a screwdriver is / think it is righty losey, lefty tidy , you should be good. just take your time and for questions we are here to help. read up on some of the sticky threads at the top of the page... good info there.

I'll take the booms if you ship them for free and include a check for 50 bucks LOL....

as Gann mentioned, you can go with the hogtunes amp, but TBH you WILL regret it...

Old 10-09-2014, 10:00 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
Softy, I would use something like the Alpine KTP445U on those speakers. Just enough power to bring them alive but not kill them.

Course you could always use a PBR300x2 and turn the gains down and then later on if you decide to change speakers, you have plenty of amp to do it with.
or that ...

Old 10-09-2014, 10:08 AM
Softy 103
Banned

I think I have decided to go with different speakers and an amp , I don't mind spending a few hundred, heck I already spent $ 150 on boom speakers. I will sell them. So keep the suggestions coming on what amp and speakers to buy

Old 10-09-2014, 10:28 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

for a 2 speaker setup, PBR300x2 and Kappa 62.11i, adapter rings, and some polyfil

Old 10-09-2014, 10:33 AM
AAWAV
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
for a 2 speaker setup, PBR300x2 and Kappa 62.11i, adapter rings, and some polyfil
+2 - Gannicus already mentioned this one as well.

I had PBR with Polk MM651 combo as my first upgrade - I LOVED it. still got Polks but we have seen too many issues here with the Polks (tweeter stalk melt down).

I guess I am one of the lucky ones so far. The Polks do sound AWESOME. most will agree here.

go with above PBR and Infinity 62.11i and you will be another happy biker...

Quick Reply: Amp Help