Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultranutz and other audio gurus take on Jensen HD1BT

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 08:04 AM
chevdude
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ultranutz and other audio gurus take on Jensen HD1BT

Guys I'm ready to purchase a sound system for my 02 RG, and am thinking about BT or J&M amp and speakers with the HD1BT. Hog tunes lids already on the bike waiting for speakers. Leaning towards BT.

I am an instrumentation and controls tech so I'm not afraid of wiring, but at the same time I don't no $hit about audio. After reading the forums, it sounds like I can buy car audio amp and speakers for less that sound better, but I want something plug and play. I'm kind of **** when it comes to wiring, so without knowing what I need to install a car audio system it may take me several trips/purchases to get the clean install I would feel good about. I ride in the rain, and I really just want something I can hear going down the freeway.

What do you think about the HD1BT versus a Sony I can get from BT for sound quality. I also like the visibility of the HD1BT.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Oilsmoke
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't beat BT's plug and play and waterproofing. My 2 cents as Gan puts it LOL Call bill and tell him what you need and plan to use for a HU.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:15 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

HD1BT is waterproof and plug n play, Sony and any other aftermarket is not
Sony will have better sound quality but with a good amp behind the Jensen will also sound pretty good.
as you mention the visibility is an issue with most aftermarket head units
BT and J&M plug and play kits are great with my obvious preference for SQ being the BT kits.

What you choose is simply a matter of preference.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 10-02-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:30 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

There's a million of different possibilities, it's all based on preference, ease of installation and cost. Lots of members on this forum with great expertise when it come to motorcycle audio! have fun and stay thristy my friend...

Old 10-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Gannicus
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 412 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
HD1BT is waterproof, Sony is not
Sony will have better sound quality but with a good amp behind the Jensen will also sound pretty good.
as you mention the visibility is an issue with most aftermarket head units
BT and J&M plug and play kits are great with my obvious preference for SQ being the BT kits.

What you choose is simply a matter of preference.

Don't know much about the Jensen but I do know two things:

The Sony has excellent sound quality.
ALWAYS BET ON NUTZ . . . LOL!!!

Old 10-02-2014, 02:15 PM
4nic8
Cruiser

At the end of a day it's a Jensen so it's in the value group of products not the quality or performance group nothing wrong with it just understand what it is

Old 10-02-2014, 05:40 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by 4nic8
At the end of a day it's a Jensen so it's in the value group of products not the quality or performance group nothing wrong with it just understand what it is
It would be great if Jensen themselves understood this fact and didn't charge "Alpine" pricing for the HD1BT. I get it: it's a limited customer base, but still, $500 should dictate much better quality right out of the box than it seems Jensen is habitually capable of. That $500 price tag should have included details like putting the 23pin connector in the same orientation on the deck's rear panel as it is on the HK. Merely swapping their input/output wire harness would have placed the 23pin connector in the same relative location as it is on the HK so re-routing the factory wiring isn't necessary at all. They could also be using much better quality components throughout (though on that part, I am merely speculating about the guts compared to Sony, et al. Historically speaking though...). And what about adding the ability to change the display color? I know the HK display is red, but there are plenty of folks who changed their gauge LEDs or switched to different gauges altogether...and the red-only display might not appeal as much in those cases. Better internals and changeable display LEDs are present in some Sony/Kenwood/Pioneer units that cost 1/3rd of the HD1BT. And would it have killed them if they included the USB port extension (JENAUX - $20) that they sell separately? I'd rather have it and not need (want) it than need (want) it and not have it. That $500 bill would seem to allow a little margin to include that part in the box.

For about the same money, I'll wait on the Aquatic AV AQ-MP-5UBT-H that UltraNutZ referenced. Though I'm not sure what Aquatic AV's build quality is really like, I can say I haven't heard their products derided like Jensen's historically have been. The features Patrick from Aquatic AV told UtraNutZ about seem to make it more appealing than the HD1BT to me: features including 3" color screen with album artwork and song/playlist data, IAP Bluetooth, USB connectivity and easy navigation via rotary **** control. I guess we'll have to wait on this deck til January though.

I always wondered why Sony or Pioneer or Kenwood or Alpine never looked at the number of touring bikes out there and decided to build a deck to replace/compete with the HK. At least paying $500 for a Harley-specific Sony deck (with commensurate features) wouldn't have given buyers that "but it's a Jensen" pause. Kind of a moot point now I would think; despite the millions of batwing and sharknose fairings that still have the HK deck in them out there, with the new Rushmore stereo systems, IF those manufacturers were to try something, I'm sure it would be a replacement for the Jukebox systems. Oh well...anyone who builds anything for Harley is going to gouge their customer- we all know that starts with the MoCo itself.

And no: I'm NOT railing against the HD1BT, even though it sounds like that's the case. From what I can gather, most everyone who's using it says it's a great upgrade, and it's great there's a "plug and play" option to replace the HK. But the few gripes that HAVE come about relating to the HD1BT shouldn't have been issues in the first place. Either that, or Jensen could have priced the HD1BT more in line with Jensen's usual place on the mobile audio totem pole. If this deck was $259 or in that neighborhood, I'd already own one.

Old 10-02-2014, 08:17 PM
immusicman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read a few posts about the HD1BT and apparently most are complaining about the lack of amplification. As long as it functions with my hand controls, and all ads say it does, however I know one member had a problem with it but I think it has been resolved, then I will be ok with it because I bought an amp to use with it. I bought the HD1BT about a month ago just before my 2005 EG screamin eagle was delivered. I have been waiting for the rest of my parts to do the install. I am going to do speakers, amp, integrate gps, and all that at same time, so it isn't installed yet. I have to admit I am worried about the hand controls issue. Who wants to have to reach the stereo every time you need to adjust something. If it doesn't work right, I will rip it out and do something else. I know it doesn't have automatic volume control, but I can live without that. After I get it all installed, I will post my problems..lol, if any. I will also post the success if it works out ok. I am anxious to try integrating the zumo 665 with the speakers in the fairing without having to sacrifice listening to MP3 through headunit. I want the headunit to mute when the GPS gives voice commands. Think I have it figured out, we shall see.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:50 AM
chevdude
Road Captain

Thanks all, still up in the air on which HU to use. I'll give it a couple days. Then I'll give BT a call.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:16 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by immusicman
I have read a few posts about the HD1BT and apparently most are complaining about the lack of amplification. As long as it functions with my hand controls, and all ads say it does, however I know one member had a problem with it but I think it has been resolved, then I will be ok with it because I bought an amp to use with it. I bought the HD1BT about a month ago just before my 2005 EG screamin eagle was delivered. I have been waiting for the rest of my parts to do the install. I am going to do speakers, amp, integrate gps, and all that at same time, so it isn't installed yet. I have to admit I am worried about the hand controls issue. Who wants to have to reach the stereo every time you need to adjust something. If it doesn't work right, I will rip it out and do something else. I know it doesn't have automatic volume control, but I can live without that. After I get it all installed, I will post my problems..lol, if any. I will also post the success if it works out ok. I am anxious to try integrating the zumo 665 with the speakers in the fairing without having to sacrifice listening to MP3 through headunit. I want the headunit to mute when the GPS gives voice commands. Think I have it figured out, we shall see.
handlebar controls shouldn't be an issue, only AVC for pre-06 bikes.

Quick Reply: Ultranutz and other audio gurus take on Jensen HD1BT