Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultranutz and other audio gurus take on Jensen HD1BT

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 10:05 AM
chevdude
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tried to turn on my AVC awhile ago, but I didn't notice it working. Don't think I will miss it. This was with the stock radio.

Was a little concerned because I found a thread stating the the Jensen didn't work in an 05 bike. As long as everything else works I'm cool.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:08 AM
chevdude
Road Captain

If anyone has handled the Jensen and can attest to its fit and finish and overall quality please chime in. Is it a rugged piece?

Old 10-03-2014, 10:52 AM
immusicman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
handlebar controls shouldn't be an issue, only AVC for pre-06 bikes.

Is it the type of speed sensor signal that is the problem preventing Automatic control of volume or does the HD1BT not do auto volume at all? I have not read anything about bikes after 2006 retaining automatic control of volume with this particular head unit. I know there is a difference between 05 and earlier as I saw a video where a guy put a HK radio in a pre 2005 bike and was able to get it to work properly by making a change to the programming of the radio as the HK can recognize both types of speed sensing, but the HK has to be reprogrammed or switched to the older type in order to work, however the change can be made through the menu of the HK. I believe I saw this on Youtube. I will be happy if my controls simply work, but if there is a way I can buy something else to change the signal type for speed, and this will give back the Auto volume, then I will do it. Enlighten me if you know of such thing. Thanks for the information!

Old 10-03-2014, 11:21 AM
1BRAVO9
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 637 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by 4nic8
At the end of a day it's a Jensen so it's in the value group of products not the quality or performance group nothing wrong with it just understand what it is

I'm not sure that's the case, you may want to read up on it.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:30 AM
immusicman
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Machiavelli

I called the HD1BT manufacturer and spoke to a tech rep. He told me the radio is NOT capable of automatic volume control at all for any model. He forwarded me to the "industry manager" for the question about operation of hand controls for certain year models, and I had to leave a message as the got his voicemail. I will post the answer I get from him when he gets back to me. Hopefully this will happen today.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:09 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I was speaking above in "general" about the differences with AVC from the different years.

This Jensen unit does not support AVC at all.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:35 PM
4nic8
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
I have read about it, it's a value product, not performance, the price is a reflection of making it a plug and play product not from an increase in quality parts, performance, engineering. Jensen has always been and always will be a value electronics brand and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. Electronics in general has always had value companies and premium companies, they cater to different markets and client types. Same as all businesses, this is not a knock to Jensen unless you don't like the value branding.

You bought a Harley, you didn't buy a Suzuki blvd, that's not to say the Suzuki is a bad product, it's just not considered a premium product.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:50 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by immusicman
He forwarded me to the "industry manager" for the question about operation of hand controls for certain year models, and I had to leave a message as the got his voicemail. I will post the answer I get from him when he gets back to me. Hopefully this will happen today.
If a stock radio can be taken out of a 2012 Street Glide and plugged directly into the wiring harness on a 2005 Electra Glide without any modification whatsoever other than changing the AVC setting in the HD menu, then it stands to reason that the Jensen will plug right into your 2005 model as well.

Speaking to the wiring of the hand controls themselves (not talking about CB/Intercom/AVC/etc.) there is no difference from a 2005 to a 2013 bike in functionality. Jensen of all people should know that.

And FWIW, I agree with 4nic8. It's a value brand now just as it has always been. They have made a product for a niche market and good for them since none of the other "quality" players have bothered themselves with all us biker-trash needs for audio improvement. What I would say different than 4nic8 though is I believe their price point is a direct reflection of the engineering and R&D that went into this unit. Lots of time and effort went into this build but I still don't believe it's built and designed to be a $500 head unit. I truly anticipate seeing this drop down to a more digestible price point within 8 - 12 months.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 10-03-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:05 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,855 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Lots of time and effort went into this build but I still don't believe it's built and designed to be a $500 head unit. I truly anticipate seeing this drop down to a more digestible price point within 8 - 12 months.
I bought a unit from Moto Part Hub on July 1st for $353.40. This is as low a price as I have seen, but it makes me believe that it is the retailers that are keeping the price high because of demand. As long as they are selling well the price will remain high. 8 - 12 months may be long enough. The radio I have installed is running through a BT4180 amp and so far has performed well. AVC would be nice though.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:31 PM
immusicman
Cruiser

If a stock radio can be taken out of a 2012 Street Glide and plugged directly into the wiring harness on a 2005 Electra Glide without any modification whatsoever other than changing the AVC setting in the HD menu, then it stands to reason that the Jensen will plug right into your 2005 model as well.

Speaking to the wiring of the hand controls themselves (not talking about CB/Intercom/AVC/etc.) there is no difference from a 2005 to a 2013 bike in functionality. Jensen of all people should know that.

They never called back anyway. Knowing hand controls will work with my situation then I will be pleased. Thanks for the information.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 10-03-2014 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Ultranutz and other audio gurus take on Jensen HD1BT