Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

Removing old shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013 | 11:31 PM
Mikeskins
|
Tourer
Default Removing old shocks

Hey guys, I just picked up my 2013 Fat Boy Lo with ABS friday after getting back from my deployment and I've been putting all my mods on it this weekend and I ran into a problem. I unbolted the stock shocks so I could put my SAS air ride system on it but no matter what I do I cannot get the shocks to compress enough to get them out. Either the cross member in the front is blocking the shaft or the rear cross member is blocking the eyelet. The swing arm moves freely and has full range of motion but that does nothing to the cross members so it does not help. I would prefer not to have cut the shocks but I will if I have to. I can't really find anyone having problem with removing the shocks just people having problems with the bolts. If need be I can take pictures tomorrow once I get off work. Any help would be great.

Old 03-04-2013 | 06:51 AM
glideridemike
Ultimate HDF Member

I believe you have a softail. On my old NightTrain I replace the shocks and iirc there is a way to adjust the throw (travel)on the stock shocks. When they are shortened enough then you can get the old ones out.

If I were you I would invest in one of the HD service manuals for your particular model bike. That's usually one of the first things I do when I buy a new (to me) bike or auto.