Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

shotgun shock install question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:49 AM
Sofmech
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shotgun shock install question

I'm sure i will answer my own question but do you have to have some sort of lift to do this? Got mine in yesterday, super fast shipping might I add, and I am going to install this weekend. I am going to assume I will need some sort of lift and then a block under the rear tire to keep it from falling. Anyone have a trick to do this without a lift? I've been looking on craigslist for one just to have but no luck so far. Probably going to order one from harbor freight. Just checking to see if anyone has a trick until I get my lift. Thanks guys.

Old 07-15-2011, 07:55 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you could block the bike up under the frame and use a floor jack under the rear tire to adjust the height as needed, but I would say that was anything but smart.
You can pick up a decent jack for under $150.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:17 AM
aaron8771
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a jack from Sears for 80 bucks. Get one. You'll use it all the time

Old 07-15-2011, 08:45 AM
Sofmech
Cruiser

Of all places Sears never even crossed my mind. No better time then now to buy a lift.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:28 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 309 Likes on 203 Posts

A lift for your bike and a small jack for the tire will make the job far easier. Harbor Freight also has some cheaper lifts that work well, as do the Sears model. Get one and you'll thank yourself many times over.

Good luck! You'll LOVE your Shotgun Shock once you get it installed - WELL worth the work!

Roger

Old 07-15-2011, 12:50 PM
J.D.1
Former Sponsor
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Use a lift to be safe

Originally Posted by Sofmech
I'm sure i will answer my own question but do you have to have some sort of lift to do this? Got mine in yesterday, super fast shipping might I add, and I am going to install this weekend. I am going to assume I will need some sort of lift and then a block under the rear tire to keep it from falling. Anyone have a trick to do this without a lift? I've been looking on craigslist for one just to have but no luck so far. Probably going to order one from harbor freight. Just checking to see if anyone has a trick until I get my lift. Thanks guys.
After bike is on a lift make sure to use tie downs to secure bike to lift. Check out harbor freight high position mc lift, 99887.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:18 PM
z06elmo
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

There is a thread on the main general section about a sale on the harbor freight lift. I got mine for 59+ Tax with coupon. It works and does the job on my deuce.

When i changed out my shocks, I used the lift to get the bike up. My bike was lowered already so I had to roll the rear tire on a 2x6 and put the sidestand on a 2x6.

Once lifted in the air, i got it high enough then put two car jacks under the frame (one on each side) in a location so I could access the shocks and bolts easily. I used a car jack to lift up and down the rear tire to move the swingarm.

The biggest PITA is loosening the 3/4 (19mm) bolts that hold the stock shock in place. try a combo wrench and a BFHammer.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:25 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the Sears lift for $80. Had mine 5 years.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:46 PM
Sofmech
Cruiser

Half way done with my ride today. Heading to the all mighty Sears when I get back.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:39 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

harbor freight high position mc lift, 99887 is and has been on back order for a while. I ordered mine about 2 months ago, then was notified it wouldn't be available until July 8th, now they tell me August 5th.

Update: This lift is again available and not on back order.

Last edited by keno; 07-15-2011 at 04:46 PM. Reason: updated info

Quick Reply: shotgun shock install question