Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

More thoughts on the Shotgun Shock...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 04:44 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
Default More thoughts on the Shotgun Shock...

I rode clear across the city this morning to visit a friend and took the streets the entire way to see how thing handles the urban decay of Los Angeles. The roads are crap here in most places. Pavement eaten up from leaking cars, potholes, supposedly fixed potholes, cracks from earthquakes etc. You get the idea.

This was only my second ride on the Shotgun as I left one of the switches on Saturday night and my battery was dead on Sunday morning. D'oh! This is my word of warning to Shotgun users. Don't leave the switch in the up position as it will drain your battery, even if it is not making any noise. This see the only way I learn.

I filled the shock till it was at full height and then added about 10 seconds. Turned off the ride height switch. I then adjusted the rebound down a little bit until I felt the pressure was appropriate for the ride I was taking. I like it firm and the bike handles great with a firm rear suspension. Don't misunderstand me, firm does not mean rough. The bike rode as smooth as if it was on a freshly paved rode. Over bumps, cracks, potholes, you name it. In fact I had it adjsuted so perfectly I almost did not want to drop it when I arrived at my destination.

The ride was equally as impressive as the ride home from having it installed. I am a happy man and feel that this is the best mod I have done to the bike thus far.

Sure, the 95" build, fatcat, Carlini's, C&C seat and everything else have been great, but this makes the biggest difference in the way the bike rides of anything I have done to it to this point.

If you are on the fence about a Shotgun Shock, there is no need to be. JD offers a 5 year warranty with the shock which is unmatched by anyone in the industry. That is how confident he is in his product.

It is not an inexpensive mod, but with this system you get what you pay for. I was reading about this system for years before getting mine and could not understand why everyone was so jazzed with it. I thought it was an air ride, big deal.

Yes, it is an air ride, but one that leaves the competition in the dust in every way. It is so well thought out and engineered that it is practically infallible. If you air line breaks while riding...no sweat, the shock will maintain pressure. If you are concerned about the install, don't be. So easy...a caveman could do it.

The behemoth of a compressor lifts the bike effortlessly every time. A few hours to install it and you will be gently gliding down the road, even over rough and tumble pavement.

Thanks again JD!

Drew

Old 09-29-2010, 04:55 PM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome review man.....air ride is very low on my list, but its on the list

Old 09-29-2010, 04:58 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

You'll get there. Here I am 5 years later finally getting it done.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:25 PM
08rock
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to agree with the Dr. it is the best ride available for a softail. You won't understand until you ride one with this suspension. Not only does JD have an awsome product but he provides the same high standard to his customer service.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:25 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love my Shotguns as much as you do. Awesome job J.D.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:08 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very good review Drew! Just the other day, I was thinking about how you'd review the product....Didn't you already have a Platinum system?

Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 PM
Isle Deluxe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got home from work and my shotgun shocks had arrived ! I am installing them this weekend with assistance of your post ....hope it gos as well/easy as everyone says ...its the last major part I need to put on to complete my bike ,then just few odds an ends

Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member

Great review! have had mine on for about five months best mod to date.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:54 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Isle Deluxe
Just got home from work and my shotgun shocks had arrived ! I am installing them this weekend with assistance of your post ....hope it gos as well/easy as everyone says ...its the last major part I need to put on to complete my bike ,then just few odds an ends
Excellent. Let us know how it goes.

Drew

Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM
cf7go
Advanced

Why do you do this to me? I might have to buy this damn thing before my riding season is over........I envy you!

Quick Reply: More thoughts on the Shotgun Shock...