Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

Which air ride has the best adjustability?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:52 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dkyork
"and was concerned about extra stress on my swingarm from the heavier one piece shotgun unit"

I still don't understand the physics behind this statement. With the bike on the ground, the swingarm is naturally being pushed up into the fender by the weight of the bike on the read tire. The shock body underneath the bike attaches to the swingarm and frame parallel to the ground. Regardless of how much the shock body weighs, isn't the same amount of force being applied to the bushings that connect it to the frame(Essentially the weight of the bike that is pushing the swingarm up and pulling on the shock body attached to the frame)? I think it would be different if the shock body were actually vertical and the weight of the shock body would then apply, but we're talking a lb or two on top of hundreds of lbs from the bike? Meh, I'm getting confused now, but for some reason my logical brain doesn't sit right with this statement.

For example, if we had two differently weighted objects(5lb and 15lb) on the ground up against a wall with a scale on the wall and we applied 15 lbs of pressue against each object toward the wall, wouldn't it still be 15 lbs of pressure through each object on the scale and the weight of the objects don't matter? Now if we put the objects on top of a weight scale on the ground, we'll then see the weight of object come into account on the weight scale for a total of 20lb and 30lb respectively. However, even in a vertical install, the weight of the bike pushes the swingarm up through the rear tire and creates force against the shocks, so not sure how the weight of the shock affects the swingarm? The weight of the shock would add total weight to the bike, but again only talking a lb or two?

HAHA, blame my wife for watching FAME and forcing me to come on here and kill time! I'm totally confused now and stopping here!

If I have miunderstood this, please someone explain.

Dale
A good friend of mine is an engineer and spent hours explaining it to me one day. That is all I can say. You should really get into watching FAME. It's a great show.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:19 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Shotgun uses air pressure to lower the bike, and the Platinum uses pressure to raise the bike, iirc. In the unlikely event of a failure on either system, the bike with a Shotgun would rise, and the one with a Platinum would lower. I haven't read about any real failures with either system, other than some sorting out type issues.

I'd say going with either of those systems would be the 2 best choices.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:23 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ElSupremo
The Shotgun uses air pressure to lower the bike, and the Platinum uses pressure to raise the bike, iirc. In the unlikely event of a failure on either system, the bike with a Shotgun would rise, and the one with a Platinum would lower. I haven't read about any real failures with either system, other than some sorting out type issues.

I'd say going with either of those systems would be the 2 best choices.
Actually the Platinum uses air to raise the bike AND lower the bike as well. It works the same. The only difference is that the Platinum has external air lines where as the Shotgun does not. If an airline were to go out on the Platinum what happens depends on which air line it is. I ran an air line to close to the belt on my install and one of the airlines blew. i was on the freeway. The system did not drop, but the rebound cylinders would not hold air. I have the air line right here. This was due not paying enough attentions and checking everything after the system was installed. If all air line blew out then the bike would drop all the way. Emptying the rebound cylinder causes the bike to raise, not lower.

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 04-19-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:40 PM
thewholehog
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
The shotgun and Platinum are comparable with a few small differences. They were both designed by the same guy. The main difference is that Platinum is two separate shock bodies where the shotgun is a on piece unit. The Platinum has external air lines that hold air when the system is pressurized while the shotgun does not. The Platinum has 2 cylinders in each shock that pressurize. One that raises the bike, and one that controls the rebound. The Shotgun has 4 cylinders in the one piece body. So this part is the same. They can both be adjusted on the fly. The SAS is a one piece unit that also holds the compressor where as with Platinum and Shotgun the compressor is a separate unit. The rebound on the SAS is done with an allen head screw on the shock body as opposed to with the push of a button. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. Platinum allows access to the transmission drain plug and since it is a one piece unit it puts no extra stress on the swingarm bushings. Shotgun has an advantage as it holds no air in the external air line from the compressor to the shock body. SAS has the advantage where evcerything is in one piece so the mounting is the simplest of all 3. I have not ridden a bike with Shotgun or SAS but have read reviews. I have ridden with Platinum and Hi Lo which is different in that the shock only has one cylinder that fills with air and does not allow a rebound adjustment like these other systems. The Platinum is head and shoulders above the Hi Lo, which is not bad, just different. I did not want to have to remove my shock when I need to change the Transmission oil which is why I went with Platinum and was concerned about extra stress on my swingarm from the heavier one piece shotgun unit. So there you have it.
Is the method of adjusting rebound damping on the SAS inferior to the others or just different?

So far from what I've read I like the Shotgun the best, but where do you mount the compressor?

Last edited by thewholehog; 04-19-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:25 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by thewholehog
Is the method of adjusting rebound damping on the SAS inferior to the others or just different?

So far from what I've read I like the Shotgun the best, but where do you mount the compressor?
The compressor mounts to the transmission case. The holes are already there they just have to be tapped. There is a photo on the website
http://www.shotgunshock.com/ and you can also click on the contact link on the left, then the myspace link in the middle. Once on myspace click on the pics link to view more pictures.

Last edited by harleyheaven; 04-20-2010 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:43 AM
thewholehog
Road Master

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
The compressor mounts to the transmission case. The holes are already there they just have to be tapped. There is a photo on the website
http://www.shotgunshock.com/ and you can also click on the contact link on the left, then the myspace link in the middle. Once on myspace click on the pics link to view more pictures.
Thanks for the link, for my needs IMO the shotgun seems to be the best out there.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:36 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Milty
Why Shotgun of course!
On the fly or parked. 1 toggle height,1 for rebound. Platinum is comparable. SAS I can't comment on but I think you need a allen key or somethin and crawl under the bike to adjust.
Well said Milty, they work great, I love mine, no complaints

Old 04-20-2010, 11:33 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

The new shotgun has an improved mounting design on 1 side that allows very easy access to the tranny drain plug. I could have mine dropped in less than 5 minutes. I wouldn't worry about the weight difference between the shotgun and any other system. For that matter, has anyone weighed them to compare? If so, post the weights. The force applied to the swingarm bushings from hitting potholes in the road when riding 2-up and bottoming out would be much more than any slight difference in unit weight. I should have weighed the stock shocks and compared it to the shotgun.

Oh, JD's customer support is the best I have seen. I sent him my unit and he updated the mounting for no charge and would not even let me pay for shipping from Ca. to Ohio. When he updated the mounting he also sent me the latest compressor no charge. On top of that, I broke a pin when I was running the harness during installation. He sent me 10 extra pins, an extra connector and an extra switch harness all at not cost. And, he sent it the same day I contacted him for next day delivery. Show me another company who has that kind of support for their customers.

Shotgun is expensive. But you are getting the latest design in air rides for Softails with a lifetime warranty and the best support in the biz. The choice is yours...

Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Can you explain what has to be done to access the transmission drain plug? I am curious. Even if you have to remove the whole shock body that does not take long, I just see it as unnecessary. Pics would be great too. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:40 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Oh, JD's customer support is the best I have seen.

Shotgun is expensive. But you are getting the latest design in air rides for Softails with a lifetime warranty and the best support in the biz. The choice is yours...
Plane and simple!!!! No matter how others try to explain how great thier units are..the Shotgun Shock is the best around. PERIOD!

Quick Reply: Which air ride has the best adjustability?