Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

Shotgun Install and Other Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010 | 09:51 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior

Looking great! I just emailed JD about a half hour ago about ordering. Wasn't planning on ordering for another 2 weeks, but the paycheck just came and some of my OT was on it.

Ya gonna post some vids of it working when the install is complete?

Old 04-01-2010 | 09:54 PM
stratplexi
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Looking good there. Once I install my "inferior" 2 shock system we need to get together and have a good old fashioned air ride Pepsi challenge. That is if you can ride a bike with a foot clutch and tank shifter. I am really curious as to whether one performs better than the other between shotgun and Platinum.
I don't have any experience with any other brand of air ride so I cannot comment on performance comparisons. Foot clutch....tank shifter....never ridden one but it sure sounds like fun

Old 04-01-2010 | 09:58 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member

Nice garage you got and the Deluxe aint to shabby either. I just finished my install tonight I look forward to riding it now and see how it feels. J.D. is a great guy to deal with. The only problem I had was the splash shield, I have the polished SS one and the compressor hits it, pushes it away from the lower mounts about 3/4 " It's late so I'll look it over tomorrow and see how I'm going to deal with it. Where did you put the swtiches? JD sent me the new plate that mounts on the horn stud. Not sure if I like it there

Old 04-01-2010 | 09:59 PM
stratplexi
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Hey strat do i see a 90/90/21 avon tire leaning against your wall? Uh oh Gansta!
Good eye! I am having a hellava time keepin up with you guys...

Old 04-01-2010 | 09:59 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

As long as you learn on someone else's bike it's all good. LOL. I am seriously wondering if one outperforms the other.

Old 04-01-2010 | 10:03 PM
stratplexi
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by ElSupremo
Looking great! I just emailed JD about a half hour ago about ordering. Wasn't planning on ordering for another 2 weeks, but the paycheck just came and some of my OT was on it.

Ya gonna post some vids of it working when the install is complete?
I think you will be pleased with the Shotgun if you decide to go that way. The install is pretty easy really. I don't show it in the pics but I actually put the bike on jackstands after I stripped out the old parts so I had room to work when putting on the new ones. I put 2 jackstands up front and one on the frame crossmember in the back. I also blocked the front wheel to relieve some of the imbalance in the weight.

Old 04-01-2010 | 10:09 PM
stratplexi
|
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
Nice garage you got and the Deluxe aint to shabby either. I just finished my install tonight I look forward to riding it now and see how it feels. J.D. is a great guy to deal with. The only problem I had was the splash shield, I have the polished SS one and the compressor hits it, pushes it away from the lower mounts about 3/4 " It's late so I'll look it over tomorrow and see how I'm going to deal with it. Where did you put the swtiches? JD sent me the new plate that mounts on the horn stud. Not sure if I like it there
Thanks for the props.

I kept the stock inner fender so I didn't have any clearance issues. My compressor is rotated to about 5 o'clock. JD had relieved the compressor in a few areas so there is no interference anywhere.

I didn't know about the horn stud mount. After looking at the room needed and the lack of space behind the coil cover, I decided to put the switches on the dash. I ran the wires forward and down under the tank on the right side of the backbone. Oh, and I mounted the relay by screwing it to the plastic panel behind the inner fender.

Old 04-01-2010 | 10:11 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Blk and Chrome
Where did you put the swtiches? JD sent me the new plate that mounts on the horn stud. Not sure if I like it there
Yes switch location is very important. I mounted mine high on dash as recommended/per intsructions and wished i didn't. I cover my bike when not in use and an occasional a switch tap has occured, then dammit...a dead battery. I would definately recommend installing switches down low out of site.

Old 04-01-2010 | 10:13 PM
bigshow97
Novice

thats very cool. i'm jealous. I have SO much to do!!!

Old 04-01-2010 | 10:24 PM
stratplexi
|
Grand HDF Member

A couple more pics of the man cave....

Last edited by stratplexi; 04-01-2010 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Install and Other Chrome