Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

Shotgun Air Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 10:30 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shotgun Air Ride

I just purchased a Shotgun Shock Air Ride kit for my bike on ebay for $900. I have recently read some negative things being said about this kit. My bike is lowered now but it rides rough especially for my bride. You guys that have one:
How is the rebound on this, is there any pogo effect?
How hard is it to adjust the rebound?
What is your opinion on the ride quality?
Do you have to remove the shock to service the transmission?
Please comment on anything else I have left out.
Thanks

Old 01-05-2010, 11:53 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
I just purchased a Shotgun Shock Air Ride kit for my bike on ebay for $900. I have recently read some negative things being said about this kit. My bike is lowered now but it rides rough especially for my bride. You guys that have one:
Thanks
Only negative i have is with switch location. You may want to locate switches down low somewhere. Other than that everything is nice. Only negatives i have read are with people who have never owned one or even riden a bike with one installed. So how would they know? It's like the blind leading the blind.

Rebound works great, only time you get pogo effect is if you leave your shock super soft and no air in your rebound chambers. But thats one of the reasons why you have four chambers is to resolve this issue "pogo effect". Rebound is very simple to adjust. Ride is very nice with this system.

Yes you do have to remove shock for trans fluids. Install of this system is very simple.

For $900.00 you got a screamen' deal...CONGRATs.....i paid $1000.00 BUT it NOW.

Nice bike by the way.

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 01-05-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:29 PM
phantom rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah... that was you that got it for 900. I ended up buying the next one at the "buy it now" price. Tired of getting outbid. Subscribing to this thread and waiting for mine to ship.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Buddhahead
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
Thanks
The rebound is a none issue when the shotgun is adjusted correctly. As far as the changing the transmission oil, I placed a banjo fitting and plumbed a piece of plastic tubing to a protected and acessible area. At the end of the tubing I inserted a small rod and used a standard band clamp. Hope this helps.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:14 PM
cosshog
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=BLKnCHRME09Deluxe;6050247]Only negative i have is with switch location. You may want to locate switches down low somewhere. Other than that everything is nice. Only negatives i have read are with people who have never owned one or even riden a bike with one installed. So how would they know? It's like the blind leading the blind.

Prepare to read your first negative then: I had a shotgun system and did not really care for it much getting the adjustment just right was a pain, I only had it for a few weeks before the system began to malfunction when it got wet. Now I really did not like it. After many discussions with JD I retraced the wiring and put sealed rubber boots around the switches. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem. I finally removed the system for safety reasons and went round and round with JD about making it right which he was not really willing to do. So after several months I gave up and decided that if anyone ever asked I would inform them of my displeasure with shotgun and JD.
This did take place 2 years ago and I hope the system has been improved since then.
Good Luck I do hope it works out better for you.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:33 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[quote=cosshog;6050545]
Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Only negative i have is with switch location. You may want to locate switches down low somewhere. Other than that everything is nice. Only negatives i have read are with people who have never owned one or even riden a bike with one installed. So how would they know? It's like the blind leading the blind.

Prepare to read your first negative then: I had a shotgun system and did not really care for it much getting the adjustment just right was a pain, I only had it for a few weeks before the system began to malfunction when it got wet. Now I really did not like it. After many discussions with JD I retraced the wiring and put sealed rubber boots around the switches. Unfortunately it did not fix the problem. I finally removed the system for safety reasons and went round and round with JD about making it right which he was not really willing to do. So after several months I gave up and decided that if anyone ever asked I would inform them of my displeasure with shotgun and JD.
This did take place 2 years ago and I hope the system has been improved since then.
Good Luck I do hope it works out better for you.
Yes, you are the first i've heard about who has owned one and has had problems as you had. Guess nothing is ever 100% is it? Nothing. So maybe its 99.99%

To me ride adjustment is very simple. I just raise it all the way and then some to get a stiffer ride. Then i lower it down with air to get a really nice ride/stance. Usually about 1.5" of WW showing and just a tad more when riding 2-up. I try to keep the bike level to the front while riding. Couldn't get any more easier than that. Then i slamm it when parked.

Yep sounds like your problem was electrical. Could that have been installer error? Just asken. I just couldn't see why "JD" would refuse to honer his warrenty. Did your kit back then come with shrink wrap for wirring as they do now? These systems do have WARRENTY's.

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 01-05-2010 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I also got it for $1k via eBay. It's installed, but I haven't gotten to ride yet. I mounted my switches on the coil cover, instead of on the dash.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:41 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't know anybody who has the shotgun system, but know lots who have Platinum Bleed/Feed. Everybody I know with the Platinum is very happy with their system. I believe, or at least I've read somewhere, that the guy who developed the Platinum system is the same guy who makes the Shotgun system. If he got Platinum right, then I'm sure the Shotgun system is just as good, or even better ( because it is a newer design).

Like any aftermarket product, nothing is gonna be perfect and some (the unlucky few) will have problems with accessories that leave a bad taste in our mouths. I know I have issues with some products that other people swear by. Such is life.

The only problem I see, for myself anyway, with the Shotgun system is the blocked access to the trans drain plug. I put a lot of miles on my bike, and I do my own service...meaning I'd have to pull that system down 2 or 3 times a year to service my trans. I'm not having that! Now if I put 10,000 miles or less on the bike a year, or had the money to have somebody else service my bike...I'd probably go with a Shotgun system.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:41 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master

Thanks for the replies, good or bad. That's what I want is honest opinions. Keep'em coming! The system arrived today and will be going on soon. Also getting pistons for a boost in compression (10.5:1) and D&D Fatcat with big bore baffle. I'll be droppin a bit of change on these mods.

Old 01-05-2010, 04:48 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Default D&D Fatcat Baffle?

Sorry for double post.

Last edited by harleyheaven; 01-05-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Air Ride