Shotgun Air Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Buddhahead
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayDee5150
That's a pretty freaking good idea.

So you just need to unbolt it from one end now, and then it just rocks down on some kind of lever built into the other end of the shock mounting hardware?
Correct, but there is no lever. It just drops down from the swing arm attachment. Pull the 2 front bolts and the unit just swings down exposing the drain plug, compressor wire harness, and the single air connection.
Work it backwards, and it makes the installation easier.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:20 PM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Buddhahead
Correct, but there is no lever. It just drops down from the swing arm attachment. Pull the 2 front bolts and the unit just swings down exposing the drain plug, compressor wire harness, and the single air connection.
Work it backwards, and it makes the installation easier.
That's perfect...I will take a hard look at this system now. The only reason I was holding off was the drain plug issue, and this seems to solve that problem.

Two bolts is almost no trouble at all considering all the benefits of the air ride.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:04 AM
jumporjerkoff
Tourer

Originally Posted by tyvaulter
Here are some pics of the compressor install on my shotgun shock. JD says they haven't been using this model compressor for very long so I'm hoping the group can confirm the proper placement/alignment.

Here is the bottom of the trans before.

Side view after mount

Again from a different angle. Power plug on top of compressor...

Bottom side..

Left side shot

Another from underneath

Please let me know If I'm on the right track here. The clearances are extremely tight.

Thanks for your help!!!
i see in your pics you have the trans sprocket exposed, do you have to remove all the casing to install the compressor??

Old 01-14-2010, 08:14 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

BLKnCHRME09Deluxe,
and it has become easier. JD modified mine to accept bolts allowing the shock to wing down making installation and oil changes easier.
I understand the rear as this shock is loose mounted to allow the shock to move freely...

But the front i still don't get....

So what did he do to get you to this point....did he install new bolts? Did he take apart your shock to do this mod? What gives...Can we just unscrew our current bolts....explain it please. Maybe you can give us some more pics of bolts,removal,ect...Thanx.

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 01-14-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:18 AM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jumporjerkoff
i see in your pics you have the trans sprocket exposed, do you have to remove all the casing to install the compressor??
No, you don't have to remove the primary to install this. Chances are, his bike is torn apart for other reasons, and this is a "side project."

Old 01-14-2010, 08:44 AM
tyvaulter
Advanced

Originally Posted by jumporjerkoff
Not at all. We're also putting a 110 Kit on the bike so the inner and outer primary have been removed. Sorry if there was any confusion on that.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Buddhahead
Advanced

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
I understand the rear as this shock is loose mounted to allow the shock to move freely...

But the front i still don't get....

So what did he do to get you to this point....did he install new bolts? Did he take apart your shock to do this mod? What gives...Can we just unscrew our current bolts....explain it please. Maybe you can give us some more pics of bolts,removal,ect...Thanx.
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe,
The shocks were removed from the bike. Then the front shafts were removed down to the collar using a lathe. He then drilled and tapped the hole. The modified part was then placed back into the housing. Effectively, the front shaft (now a bolt) is separate from the shock assembly. From there, it's a simple matter to attach the rear link of the shock to the swing arm, make the electrical and air connections, and swing the assembly up and bolt it thru the mounting holes. As you can see it makes the installation, and oil changes way easier. Sorry for the lack of pics.

You may want to contact JD about the new fittings. I'm not sure how he's going to deal with the older units. The retrofit is a simple matter which can be done at home.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:02 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

BLKnCHRME09Deluxe,
The shocks were removed from the bike. Then the front shafts were removed down to the collar using a lathe. He then drilled and tapped the hole. The modified part was then placed back into the housing. Effectively, the front shaft (now a bolt) is separate from the shock assembly. From there, it's a simple matter to attach the rear link of the shock to the swing arm, make the electrical and air connections, and swing the assembly up and bolt it thru the mounting holes. As you can see it makes the installation, and oil changes way easier. Sorry for the lack of pics.

You may want to contact JD about the new fittings. I'm not sure how he's going to deal with the older units. The retrofit is a simple matter which can be done at home.
Thanx man much clearer now.... i can't do this at home...DAMMIT!

maybe i'll give him a ring and ship him my shock to have this done. How much did he charge to have this done?

Maybe "JD" should really think of implementing this function into his shock design. As this mod will push this shock a giant step above other makes/moodels.

Thanx Buddhahead

Old 01-14-2010, 09:49 AM
tyvaulter
Advanced

New compressor is installed correctly!

Just got off the phone with JD and he confirmed that the new style compressor does mount as shown in my original post. IE the sticker points towards the right (brake) side.

Thanks for all your help here Fellas!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:58 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tyvaulter
New compressor is installed correctly!

Just got off the phone with JD and he confirmed that the new style compressor does mount as shown in my original post. IE the sticker points towards the right (brake) side.

Thanks for all your help here Fellas!
So whats the change in the NEW compressor? What was wrong with the old ones?

Thats gonna look kinda of FuGLY with that compressor not hidden..Too bad. Looks like Shotgun just took a step back in appearence.

How mine/old compressor is, the sticker is to the left and the compressor is COMPLETELY HIDDEN.

So i take it you now own a second or third generation Shotgun shock?

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 01-14-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Shotgun Air Ride