Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

Shotgun Air Ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:59 PM
Buddhahead
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
I don't know about the service manual you guys are looking at but mine says to change the trans oil every 20k miles.

I don't think it would be a big deal to drop the unit once every couple of years or even once a year if you're putting on the big miles that year.

Shrink tubing is an electricians friend on bikes.
Guess each model has different schedules. My manual for a '08 FXCW is every 10,000. In our area (Southern Cal) all the HD dealers recommend the change at 5,000 (It could be a conspiracy by the stealers in our area). For the time, I've opted in the last 7500 miles to change it every 3500 just to monitor the oil. 1 Qt of tranny oil is pretty cheap, and it takes me about 15 seconds to pull the plug.

You're right BoomerBob, it's not a big deal, but I do like quick and easy.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:07 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkyork
Funny you mention this Bob, I looked at mine too and thought the same thing. Not a big deal to take 4 bolts off to lower the shotgun system to change the Tranny lube at 20k. I had it done on the 1k service, which is all that matters to remove most of the initial metal shavings. Still another 17k to go before 20k.

regards,

Dale
Dale: I installed the Progressive 422's I got from you a couple of weeks ago and it was a bit more of a job than I thought it would be but I'm confident I could do it in half the time now that I've done it once. I did go ahead and change the trans fluid to Redline Shockproof since I was in there. Now I'm good for 20k.

I ended up giving them one more turn of preload and have them set at about 1.5" under stock. Rides sweet and I totally dig being low and having my feet flat with my knees bent at stops.

I ride this bike alone 99.9% of the time so this will be just fine. I'm giving the Ricor Intiminators a try in the forks of both bikes so stay tuned for a report on those. If they work as well as some people say I'll be golden.

Thanks again!!

Old 01-06-2010, 12:16 AM
dkyork
Tourer

Originally Posted by BoomerBob
Dale: I installed the Progressive 422's I got from you a couple of weeks ago and it was a bit more of a job than I thought it would be but I'm confident I could do it in half the time now that I've done it once. I did go ahead and change the trans fluid to Redline Shockproof since I was in there. Now I'm good for 20k.

I ended up giving them one more turn of preload and have them set at about 1.5" under stock. Rides sweet and I totally dig being low and having my feet flat with my knees bent at stops.

I ride this bike alone 99.9% of the time so this will be just fine. I'm giving the Ricor Intiminators a try in the forks of both bikes so stay tuned for a report on those. If they work as well as some people say I'll be golden.

Thanks again!!
Right on man!!! I was wondering if you got those 422s in there yet and glad you like them. I think that's exactly the settings I rode at. About 1.5" drop with 1 turn of preload. Now when I report back on the air shocks, you can go buy those next! hahaha.

Cheers!

Dale

Old 01-06-2010, 12:29 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dkyork
Right on man!!! I was wondering if you got those 422s in there yet and glad you like them. I think that's exactly the settings I rode at. About 1.5" drop with 1 turn of preload. Now when I report back on the air shocks, you can go buy those next! hahaha.

Cheers!

Dale
You got it easy Dale. I've got to do this stuff to two bikes so my "per bike" budget is lower than yours by quite a bit.

I'm sure you're gonna totally dig them Shotguns once you get a feel for how they work and where the sweet spots are for you and your lady.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:35 AM
FLSTC4ME
Cruiser

I got the new Harley catalog the other day and if you read the info about the Syn3 is gives you mileage increments for changing in each cavity.

Old 01-06-2010, 11:18 AM
tyvaulter
Advanced
Default Trying to decide

Should I go Legend or Shotgun?

I've got my bike on the lift with just about everything off of it. Now would be the perfect time to install the air ride. I've already got a ton in my bike so the air ride isn't a huge edition.

So, stay stock or go with Legend or go with Shotgun?

HELP!

Old 01-06-2010, 12:04 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SHOTGUN! I've had the Legend L2, and got rid of them....didn't like the "pogo" effect.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:11 PM
tyvaulter
Advanced

Thanks!

Just got off the phone with JD. Can't wait to ride it!

Old 01-06-2010, 02:25 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check ebay. There's one on there now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Old 01-06-2010, 03:24 PM
beaureed445
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
Check ebay. There's one on there now.