Air Suspensions All you Air Ride Suspension Owners can discuss your Rides here

Shotgun Air Ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 10:02 PM
phantom rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is the best pic I have right now. The wheels are off getting powdered, so I'll get a better pic in the morn.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:10 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

air ride would be nice

Old 02-14-2010, 01:31 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Shotun rocks!

Old 02-14-2010, 04:27 PM
ScReaMnEagLE22
Road Master

seems the compressor is about right Harvey. as long as it not rubbing or the line is kinked, you should be good ...

I'm having a small issue with my HD rocker guard. I the 08's use a different system to bolt on and the compressor is in the way. I had to mount it using the stock bolt, and it seems to bind up when I lower my Shotgun all the way.

Originally Posted by Harvey96
Sorry but (so far) I bought the last e-bay listed Shotgun Shock. But before those that missed out snarl at me, I had been watching 2 others disappear and seeing they were going for a grand I had to jump in quick. ($1400au total)
Took about 2 weeks to arrive (Melb.Aus). But it took 3 weeks to finally install it.
Wife on a plane to L.A.,a cruise to Mexico then New Orleans and her favourite Vegas for 2 weeks, perfect time without distractions.
I started this slightly intimedating task (I have had an old 77 Z1000 head off a couple of times) with no instructions in the box so had to refer to the laptop.
Here I am looking for the charcoal canister and refering to the service manual. I discovered it had already been removed due to the heavy breather.(********)
Drilled and tapped the 2 holes (measured the tip of the tap for drill size)
Dropped the main wire harness thru then studying the laptop and fiddling with the compressor for about 1/2 hour and another drink.
Mounted the compressor (not tight) hooked up wires then the shock, switches and connected to the battery.
Watched very closely as the swingarm moved up and down noticing it moving the compressor. A slight adjustment sideways and with a 5mm gap of the shock at its closest position. It seems to be ok not hitting the splash guard. Dropped out the shock and tightened the compressor, remount the shock.
I decided to mount the switches to the coil cover as to hide rom the gigs that use their hands to see.
I've only ridden the bike a few times but ****EN WOW
I'm yet to adjust on the run.
Here are some pics. For those that know for sure the correct mounting position for the compressor can you tell me.
Thanks

Attachment 95614

Attachment 95615

Attachment 95616

Attachment 95617

Old 02-14-2010, 04:40 PM
phantom rider
Tourer

Joe What... Here is a little better pic as viewed from the rear axle.

Old 02-14-2010, 05:31 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ScReaMnEagLE22
seems the compressor is about right Harvey. as long as it not rubbing or the line is kinked, you should be good ...

I'm having a small issue with my HD rocker guard. I the 08's use a different system to bolt on and the compressor is in the way. I had to mount it using the stock bolt, and it seems to bind up when I lower my Shotgun all the way.
Thats not a good deal man....i would get that fixed a.s.a.p. that compressor sure is costly. So when you mounted your compressor you didn't tap you cannister holes?

Old 02-15-2010, 06:41 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm looking at getting this system through Dr. V-Twin. My main concern and question, is I keep hearing "tapping" in the installing procedure. What is tapped? If you ever took the system off, could the stock shocks be mounted back up? Sorry if this is a dumb-*** question, but I have no mechanical ability, and am weary of cutting, tapping, or modifying the frame in any way.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:15 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by skipper469
I'm looking at getting this system through Dr. V-Twin. My main concern and question, is I keep hearing "tapping" in the installing procedure. What is tapped? If you ever took the system off, could the stock shocks be mounted back up? Sorry if this is a dumb-*** question, but I have no mechanical ability, and am weary of cutting, tapping, or modifying the frame in any way.
Its not a big deal...there is a spot underneeth were a charcoal smog cannister goes on CA. models. Since your bike isn't a CA. model there will be two threaded holes there. All you do is tap those holes bigger to hold the compressor...sounds worse than it is. Takes 2 minutes to complete.

And YES stock shocks can be remounted.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:23 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Its not a big deal...there is a spot underneeth were a charcoal smog cannister goes on CA. models. Since your bike isn't a CA. model there will be two threaded holes there. All you do is tap those holes bigger to hold the compressor...sounds worse than it is. Takes 2 minutes to complete.

And YES stock shocks can be remounted.
Thanks! That what I needed to know. Shotgun it is!

Old 02-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by phantom rider
Joe What... Here is a little better pic as viewed from the rear axle.

Does the rear wheel have to be removed or can I get to it from underneath... I ordered mine last week and waiting for its arrival...

Quick Reply: Shotgun Air Ride