Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4" Risers on Super Glide Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 06:15 PM
ault27fxdc
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4" Risers on Super Glide Custom?

I have a 2010 Super Glide Custom. Stock except for exhaust and forward controls and stirrups / pegs.

I find that it feels like i'm leaning a bit too forward. At 5'9", the forwards are just right, but my arms are about straight and it feels like I'm leaning too far forward.

Fine on short rides, but long rides gets the lower back aching quite well....

I looked around and others with the same bike said that the stock handlebars and cables work just fine with the 4" risers that can be bought on Harley's website without any modifications....just install the risers and done, maybe some adjustments on the turn signal angles. On in about an hour and back on the road...

However, when i went to purchase from the local Harley dealer, they said that the wiring would have to be redone and for them to do it the cost would be around $900 for the risers and rewiring of the controls.

They suggested going to $1200 and getting a whole new set of bars instead...

So now I come to the experts for suggestions....any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:34 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

There is a lot of work involved rewiring handlebars. Especially if they are internally wiring them. If they do it the correct way, they will have to lift your tank to get to the harnesses and and individually pull each pin out. The only problem with installing bars yourself is pinching any wiring that might screw up your headlights.

The quick and easy way is to cut the wires and splice them back together without accessing the harnesses.

It should not cost 900 bucks to put on risers. Like everyone else is saying just 2 bolts to undo the risers, 4 allen screws for the clamp, and then put some polyurethane bushings. Then you are done.

I have 4.5 in. pullback risers. and they look kinda goofy. But I am installing drag bars. I would suggest mini ape hangers like the streetbob. Being 5'5" the risers I had on prior into putting new bars made me upright and more comfortable.

I got quoted 500 bucks for fatbob drag bars and risers with about 3 hours of work. Parts and labor equaled about the same. That should be more inline if you plan on going to the dealer. That is about 83 bucks an hour.

Last edited by vizcarmb; 08-03-2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:45 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Are your bars wired internally right now? If not go on eBay and get some 4 inch pull back risers for 20 bucks,

Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior

Then bust out your 1/4 inch Allen wrench, 3/4 ratchet and t 25/27 star wrench(5 bucks at Lowes). Spend 20 minutes and take a vacation with the money you just saved. I'm in Vegas on a phone or I would walk you through this. If you have internally wired bars, then you can pick up pre wired bars for 1/3 of the price your dealer is quoting you. Buy them and pay the dealer 1 hour of labor to PLUG them on and adjust your mirrors.

Cheers,

Tom

Old 08-03-2011, 07:18 PM
ault27fxdc
Novice

...thanks for that....and apologies, I did fail to include that the bars are wired externally, not internal.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:28 PM
ZeroFiveFour
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by ault27fxdc
...thanks for that....and apologies, I did fail to include that the bars are wired externally, not internal.
Good, then you are talking about 20 bucks and 30 minutes.

I'll be back home on the 7th, (vacationing right now). Be more than willing to walk you through a riser swap after I get back. Its a piece of cake.

Off to Caesar's palace now!

Cheers,

Tom

Old 08-03-2011, 07:41 PM
by64
6th Gear

I have a 2011 FXDC and had the same problem with the handle bars. Went to the local store (Not Harley Dealer). And bought 4 1/2 inch pull back risers they give about a 2 in extra lift and half inch pull back. Swapped them out in 20 min. Did not have to mess with wiring at all. There is enough slack in the wires to accommodate. Just remember to use blue loctite, you don't want the bars coming loose while riding. Love the new set up and my wrists don't heart after long rides any more.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:57 PM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,730 Likes on 769 Posts

I have Drag Specialties 4 inch pull back risers, just finessed the routing of cables and brake hose. No new wiring, cables or hoses.

Last edited by oldbie; 08-03-2011 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:25 PM
sigmoid
Cruiser

Have you considered these? http://www.rivcoproducts.com/product...8&cat=4&page=2 I had a pair on my bike before I put on foot boards and they were really nice, quality units. No problems with wiring etc. but had to slightly re-route the front brake line. I'm using the HD 4" risers with poly bushings, work great, routed the wiring through the back (rider) side of the handlebar clamp, no binding or problems.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:44 PM
garebear55
Novice

4 inch pullback risers allow 2 inches back, just the right bend at the elbow. No fussing with cables or wiring, just bolt right on. Very simple, but get 'em tight, "locktite".

Quick Reply: 4" Risers on Super Glide Custom?