Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security System Fob

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 07:18 AM
glook1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System Fob

I am fairly new to owning the newer bikes, never had one with a security system. Everytime I am in my shop and want to start my scoot the alarm fob is on the bar in the house. What do the rest of y'all do with yours? Put them in the saddle bags? I know this type of question brings out the smart a$$ in people so take your best shot. I'd also like to hear from the more serious crowd also.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:25 AM
SlowRain
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ummm I would bring it to the garage? Not being smart...but it is a pretty obvious answer. I wouldn't recommend leaving it in the saddle bag...just read a thread here literally a couple of days ago from a rider who left his in his saddlebag...went into a Stop & Rob for something and walked out a couple minutes later to find his bike gone.

You could do the disarm procedure found in your owner's manual for when the fob is lost or battery in it is dead...but it is a bit painful...and probably would take longer than walking back in and getting the fob.

Last edited by SlowRain; 02-23-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:48 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a little paranoid about locking my bike and car so I lock them even when they are parked in the garage.

I have the security fob and the key on the same key ring so whenever I want to unlock the ignition switch or the saddlebags/trunk, the fob and key are both present. If I am going riding, I will unlock the ignition and place the key and fob in my pocket. If I am going to work on the bike, I will unlock whatever needs unlocking and place the key in one of the windshield bags. When finished, I will lock everything back up and take the key and fob back into the house.

As SlowRain stated, if you place and leave one of the two fobs on the bike anywhere you will effectively eliminate any advantage of the alarm.

The best solution would seem to be to just remember to grab the key and fob whenever you go to the garage.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:59 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

This is funny only because it's happened to me so many times. I've finally got to where I remember it most times. Only time will heal that problem. I have a detached garage, so I have farther to walk when I forget mine..LMAO

Old 02-23-2011, 08:05 AM
mhud
Road Captain

How about putting the key and fob on a belt loupe key ring and keep it on you all day when you know you will be using your bike.

Attached Thumbnails Security System Fob-rg-ultra-solo.jpg  
Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I keep mine in the tour pack all the time until I need to lock the bike, then I put it in my pocket. Leaving it in the garage can be a bad idea because it may be close enough to the bike to start the bike then you ride off without it. Then when you stop for gas you are screwed unless you have your PIN with you to start it back up.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:32 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have mine on my key ring during riding season. My key ring is always in my pocket.

When winter hits, the fob is taken off the key ring.

And I lock the ignition..... takes all of 2 seconds.

Last edited by shooter5074; 02-23-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

What did you do before? You had to have the "keys" with you to start the bike before, having the fob with you is no different.
I love mine having the fob so I don't have to lock the bike or take the keys out everytime I walk into a place.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:02 AM
glook1
Cruiser

Actually Tex I owned my 97 Fatboy for 10 years and had to find the keys to sell it. I never locked the ignition at home or at rallys. I do appreciate all of the feed back though. Thanks

Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 AM
Idaho Spud
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I keep on in the pocket of my riding chaps in the saddlebags. I also keep one on a nail in the wall by the bike. Just in case, about once a month I practice the overide procedure set forth in the owners manual.

Quick Reply: Security System Fob