Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with clutch cable install

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:06 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with clutch cable install

Alright, I need some advice on changing out my clutch cable. I've drained the transmission, pulled the exhaust, and have the side cover off. I have a service manual, but I'm stuck at getting the big snap ring off. My snap ring pliers just keep slipping before I can get the ring out. Do I need to go track down some bigger snap ring pliers tomorrow? Or is there a trick to getting it to pop out?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:26 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Army
Received 876 Likes on 584 Posts

Check out this post:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/1560376-post2.html

over here:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...tch-cable.html

According to forum member thrillseeker a circlip plier for inside clips could help you do the job as well:

Old 01-15-2011, 05:30 PM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When i changed my cable i had to buy a heavier duty plier to release the snap ring. I purchased one from a local tool shop and as far as i can remember it was not too much money.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:20 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cornishman
When i changed my cable i had to buy a heavier duty plier to release the snap ring. I purchased one from a local tool shop and as far as i can remember it was not too much money.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking, the overall job seems simple, I just have a crappy set of snap ring pliers. The auto parts store around the corner from me has a decent tool selection so I'm going to go tomorrow and see if they have some that are more heavy duty than mine.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:39 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for bringing up this issue. I am in the process of swapping out the OEM cables with braided stainless. The front brake line is done and the clutch is on the way.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:49 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjsimmons
Thanks for bringing up this issue. I am in the process of swapping out the OEM cables with braided stainless. The front brake line is done and the clutch is on the way.
Swapping out the cables isn't to bad. This is my first time doing it. I did my brake line a couple months ago and did the throttle cables last night. Just have to finish up the clutch cable and I'll be set.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:53 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nkauf21
Swapping out the cables isn't to bad. This is my first time doing it. I did my brake line a couple months ago and did the throttle cables last night. Just have to finish up the clutch cable and I'll be set.
I have my eye on some braided throttle/idle cables that I will probably pick up next payday. Some times it is so inconvenient not being rich...

Did you have to remove the tank or were you able to do so with it still attached?

Old 01-15-2011, 08:10 PM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by rjsimmons
I have my eye on some braided throttle/idle cables that I will probably pick up next payday. Some times it is so inconvenient not being rich...

Did you have to remove the tank or were you able to do so with it still attached?
I hear you on the not being rich part. I'm done for a while after this.

I didn't remove my tank. Since I have a 2" tank lift installed it gave me enough clearance in the front. All I did was loosen the front tank bolt and remove the rear bolt. I lifted up the back of the tank and slid a rolled up towel underneath and I had enough room to work.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:13 PM
rjsimmons
Road Captain

I did notice the lift on your tank, which looks extremely good on your bike BTW. I will probably end up taking the tank off during the install, but I will have to wait and see.

Thanks for the info.

What breather is that?

Old 01-15-2011, 09:01 PM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doing my bars cables etc right now got it all done just waiting for to buy some more fluid on Monday, clutch was easy not sure what your talking about with the snap ring I just unhooked the grommet and then hooked the new one up and hooked the grommet back onto it and it fine, I haven't adjusted yet but I cant see any issues as I never touched nothing inside the case. I have a 2010 WG if thats any help. will get some pics up once i charge the battery for the camera

Quick Reply: Need help with clutch cable install