Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why is the right side so friggin' hot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Why is the right side so friggin' hot?

2009 Ultra, SEAC, PC-V, oil cooler, Amsoil, yadda yadda yadda ............

I've tried 5 different maps, some richer than others, and honestly, I don't see a big difference as far as heat for my passenger.
During a ride, if I touch the right saddlebag rails, the right side cover, the rear floorboard mount, and then do the same with the left side, I can feel a very big difference in terms of heat between the 2.
I come to the conclusion that this friggin' 2009 header exhaust is the culprit. If I look at the heat shield, it protects sh*t and doesn't cover the junction where the crossover starts. This thing is a furnace, literally.

First question:
Are there better heat shields for the 09 headers out there, and particularly a heat shield covering where the friggin' crossover starts?

Second question:
Has anyone ditched the 2009 headers in favor of headers without crossover? I mean, like a 2008 dual header with the right cylinder header routed to the right side and the rear cylinder header routed to the left side? Did it make any difference heat wise? I'm talking comfort for my passenger, not engine heat.

Since the rear header would be routed over the primary and very close to the left passenger floorboard, am I gonna end up with the same problem on the left side, meaning less heat on the right side and much more heat on the left?

I'm trying to find a real solution to the problem and I'm not looking for leather saddle shields. They won't do anything to lower the heat on my passenger's feet and ankles.

Thanks for helping

Last edited by frenchbiker; 06-28-2010 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 AM
producer
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

80-90 percent of the exhaust comes out of the rightside pipe that's why. The leftside pipe is almost a ghost pipe.
Unless you go to a true dual set up, you are more the less chasing your tail. Good luck with your situation.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by producer
80-90 percent of the exhaust comes out of the right side pipe that's why. The left side pipe is almost a ghost pipe.
Unless you go to a true dual set up, you are more the less chasing your tail. Good luck with your situation.
That's what I think too. Actually, the right side muffler isn't as hot as the right side headers. The very hot spot is between where the 2 headers merge and where they split, plus the right side of the crossover which is not covered by a heat shield.
My question is, if I get true duals for the 09 like the 08 true duals are, the rear header is going to be routed very close to the left passenger floorboard, actually much closer than it is on the right side. Is this going to 1) significantly lower the temp on the right side? 2) still be comfortable for my passenger on the left side?
I'd like to hear from owners of 09s or 10s who have done it, prior to doing it. I don't even know if they can be mounted without mods. The plastic heatshield mounted to the frame under the driver seat on the left side will interfere so I'm pretty sure it'll have to be removed. Maybe there are other mods to make them fit, I dunno.
Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:21 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

true duals u can buy a set made by battitini/ness and use your stock heat sheilds. and then have it tuned. there is a differance this is the set up i have and no heat issues. but u will have to remap for true duals unless u have auto tune.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:56 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by streetgliderick
true duals u can buy a set made by battitini/ness and use your stock heat sheilds. and then have it tuned. there is a differance this is the set up i have and no heat issues. but u will have to remap for true duals unless u have auto tune.
Are these the ones on your picture? They both run on the right side with a crossover to the left side, right? I'd be more interested in a design with the rear header being routed left from the rear jug and not crossing over.

Plus I see that your bike is equipped solo so it means you don't hear heat complaints from your passenger. I do. I don't have a problem with heat, she does, hence my search for a solution. If it was just me, I'd be fine the way it is.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 06-28-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:00 PM
moleson10
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try header heat tape. It's like nomex or something woven tape. I've got it on my dirtbike to keep the pipe from burning my pants. Works great and greatly reduces the radiated heat coming off the pipe. With the heat shield installed you probably won't even notice it.

Buy it from any automotive hot rodding source.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:09 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by moleson10
Try header heat tape. It's like nomex or something woven tape. I've got it on my dirtbike to keep the pipe from burning my pants. Works great and greatly reduces the radiated heat coming off the pipe. With the heat shield installed you probably won't even notice it.

Buy it from any automotive hot rodding source.
There's no heat shield on the right side of the crossover pipe on the 09 and 10 models.
As for heat wrap, I thought about it and I also thought about jet coating the headers and crossover. Wrapping the pipes would be cheaper but I think jet coating (outside and inside) would be not only more durable but more efficient to reduce heat too.
Before I go this route, I'd like to know if true duals (not crossover duals) wouldn't be a better solution as it would solve the heat problem and improve sound too.
Thanks.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by producer
80-90 percent of the exhaust comes out of the rightside pipe that's why. The leftside pipe is almost a ghost pipe.
The 09-10 bikes don't have a left side per se. The crossover goes under the bike. You're thinking about the 08 and older exhaust system.

I haven't seen a true dual setup for the 09 or newer bikes that has a left side pipe that just goes down the left side like the older bikes. It seems like the rear pipe goes right, then crosses under the bike in the stock location. Or the front exhaust crosses under the bike and the rear exits on the right side. Either way, you've got the exhaust for the rear cylinder there under your right leg. Having a rear cylinder exhaust that exits to the left goes a long way in cooling down your right leg, but I don't see that as an option for the 09 bikes. You might be able to modify a system for an older bike to fit, but I'm not sure what that would entail. Mounting brackets are probably different, and the left sidecover might be an issue.

Reading through the thread, I was thinking heat wrap, I see that you're considering that. It's a pretty inexpensive thing to try, and if you are reasonably careful, you should be able to install your heat shields over the wrapped headers. You might even gain a little scavenging efficiency along with reduced external temps.

Last edited by Mike; 06-28-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:12 PM
SOCALHD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found the solution to the heat but it is illegal. The cat is in the collector you are noticing the high temps from. My cat is now gone and the temps from the pipes dropped dramatically. Fulsac used to do this but no longer does it. If you want to keep your stock head pipes I suggest finding someone that will do it.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
The 09-10 bikes don't have a left side per se. The crossover goes under the bike. You're thinking about the 08 and older exhaust system.

I haven't seen a true dual setup for the 09 or newer bikes that has a left side pipe that just goes down the left side like the older bikes. It seems like the rear pipe goes right, then crosses under the bike in the stock location. Or the front exhaust crosses under the bike and the rear exits on the right side. Either way, you've got the exhaust for the rear cylinder there under your right leg. Having a rear cylinder exhaust that exits to the left goes a long way in cooling down your right leg, but I don't see that as an option for the 09 bikes.

Have you thought about wrapping your headers with heat wrap, then installing your heat sheilds over that? You might gain a little scavenging efficiency as well as cutting down external temps.
One of my friends had the Bub 7 true duals on his 2009 SE Road Glide and the left header was going down the left side like it did on the 08 and earlier models. The problem is he rode solo 99.9% of the time so the issue of heat for the passenger wasn't one for him and his experience is pretty much inexistant in this domain. He sold the bike so I can't test ride it with my passenger anymore. Shoulda done it before he sold it. Damnit! lol

That's how they look on the left side.
http://bub.com/Harley_Davidson_FL_To...n=05-7072-CCCB

I've already answered the same question regarding heat wrap. If I was going to do something like that, I'd pay a little more and have the headers jet coated in and out (ceramic) but I'd rather not do it if I can replace the headers by "real" true duals. I'll gain in heat reduction and sound at the same time.

Quick Reply: Why is the right side so friggin' hot?