Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sokustom Bag Attachment

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010 | 10:25 AM
freshman
|
Advanced
Default Sokustom Bag Attachment

I received my swingarm bag yesterday from Shaun and I was blown away with his work. It turned out way better than I could have imagined. Now I need to attach it to my swingarm. Shaun said to attach it with zip ties, but I was wondering what everyone else use to attach the bag, hopefully something that doesn't harm the paint.

Old 05-22-2010 | 11:05 AM
meatsack
Banned

The bag didn't come with leather straps? Wow...zip ties are gonna look like @ss.

Unless you hard mount it like others have done...it's gonna rub on the swingarm and rub the paint off.

Old 05-22-2010 | 11:33 AM
County98
Tourer

I thought about fabbing one of the mounts some good folks here have come up with, but just decided to use the zip ties. I have had absolutely zero issues with it.

At first I kept an eye on it thinking zip ties would break, etc., but evertyhing is and has been worry free.

I'm also not terribly worried about rubbing some paint on the swingarm. IF I ever decide to take off the solo bag AND not replace it with another one, I guess I'll have to live with touching up the swingarm.

Either way, I love having a bag there and stick my lunch in it for work, or misc stuff for day trips.

If it's a detail you dont like, then by all means you could run straps or bracket, or whatever. I've had many compliments on my bags, but no one has ever wedged their head behind there and said "man! those zip ties look like azz!" Lol

Enjoy and let us know what you come up with.

Old 05-22-2010 | 11:35 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Be aware if you use zip ties you may have issues with them rubbing the paint off the swingarm. I recommend wrapping the swingarm with electrical tape under the zip ties first.

Drew

Old 05-22-2010 | 11:45 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member

I bought a velcro roll, cut it into strips, wrapped it soft side down on the swingarm, and zip tied the bag over that. You can't see the zip ties for it to look like a$$. After seeing the pix that I just took, I see that my bike looks like dirty a$$ though. Guess it's time to wash.

Old 05-22-2010 | 12:52 PM
meatsack
Banned

Sorry guys...I would never want to see zip ties around my swingarm...

The right way to mount any bag...

Attached Thumbnails Sokustom Bag Attachment-s.jpg  
Old 05-22-2010 | 02:51 PM
snook592
Club Member

Originally Posted by meatsack
Sorry guys...I would never want to see zip ties around my swingarm...

The right way to mount any bag...

Do you have any more closer shots? That looks nice , but hard to see whats going on.

Old 05-22-2010 | 03:00 PM
Tartarus
Road Warrior

I used electrical tape and zip ties the first time i mounted it then 3 of the zip ties broke so i switched to steel wire over the electrical tape and haven't had any problems

Old 05-22-2010 | 04:08 PM
meatsack
Banned

Originally Posted by snook592
Do you have any more closer shots? That looks nice , but hard to see whats going on.
Everything is so tight to the swingarm I doubt I can get a better shot.

I basically did what others did. I used 1" coupler nuts for the forward/top and lower chain guard mounts. The rearmost chainguard mount, I used a 3/4 " spacer and a 1.5 inch bolt. This all allows the bag to sit approx 1/8th inch off the swingarm. Inside the bag is where I used plexiglass.

All hardware is 5/16 and in assembly order. (I painted all visible hardware black)

8x11 plexiglass sheet cut to fit inside bag.

Lower mount

3/4" set screw or stud (threads into chain guard/frame)
two spacer washers
1" coupler nut
Fender washer (against the bag outside)
3/4" button head bolt and a washer (inside bag)

Front mount upper

1" bolt (replaces original shorter bolt, reuse existing washer)
two spacer washers (other side of chain guard)
1" coupler nut
Fender washer (against the bag outside)
3/4" button head bolt and a washer (inside bag)

Rear mount upper

Begin inside bag
1.5" bolt and a washer
Fender (or smaller) washer against the bag outside)
3/4" spacer
Thread into existing hardware in chain guard.

Attached Thumbnails Sokustom Bag Attachment-s1.jpg   Sokustom Bag Attachment-s3.jpg   Sokustom Bag Attachment-s2.jpg  

Last edited by meatsack; 05-22-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-23-2010 | 04:50 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member

oh i thought solo bags came with leather straps?? i no some guys mount em using a plexiglass mounting board,or else sheetmetal as a backing plate,apparently helps stop them going saggy too!

Quick Reply: Sokustom Bag Attachment