Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 dyna Primary noise--- stator

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 11:17 PM
markk
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Default 06 dyna Primary noise--- stator

I know 3 guys in my town of 14,000 that have street bobs like myself two of them being an 06 model like myself.
Iv talked to them about a wierd noise i heard coming from my primary and they both told me that there rotor bolts came out and shelled the stator.
So iv called 2 diffrent dealers in my area here in southern illinois- and their service managers act like this isnt a harley problem its my my own personal issue.

So tonight i pulled the primary cover off and found copper inside. So i continued to take it apart and well when i got to looking all the bolts were out of my 2peice rotor or broken. I pulled it off and my stator looks like the neighbors dog thought it was a chew toy.

I was wanting to see what you guys thought- and wanted to know if anyone else has ever had this problem of mabey its just me. I took some pics.

I have also heard about a bearing that the guys in town said that harley is suposed to changed out the 06 dynas at 15,000?? is this tru and what bearings.

thanks for looking
mark knox

Attached Thumbnails 06 dyna Primary noise--- stator-dscf0791.jpg   06 dyna Primary noise--- stator-dscf0792.jpg   06 dyna Primary noise--- stator-dscf0793.jpg   06 dyna Primary noise--- stator-dscf0794.jpg   06 dyna Primary noise--- stator-dscf0795.jpg  

Old 03-17-2010, 11:22 PM
markk
6th Gear

this is some more pics

Attached Thumbnails 06 dyna Primary noise--- stator-dscf0796.jpg   06 dyna Primary noise--- stator-dscf0797.jpg   06 dyna Primary noise--- stator-dscf0798.jpg   06 dyna Primary noise--- stator-dscf0799.jpg   06 dyna Primary noise--- stator-dscf0800.jpg  

Old 03-17-2010, 11:24 PM
markk
6th Gear

the last ones i took

Attached Thumbnails 06 dyna Primary noise--- stator-dscf0800.jpg   06 dyna Primary noise--- stator-dscf0801.jpg   06 dyna Primary noise--- stator-dscf0802.jpg  
Old 03-17-2010, 11:26 PM
markk
6th Gear

can anyone see these pics- i just started here and i cant even see the pics that i just posted! please let me know thanks alot
markk

Old 03-17-2010, 11:32 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Oh yea, man, you will find loads of guys with stator/rotor threads if you put in the search for 06 dyna stator or rotor. I myself checked my 06 sb at about 5000. miles and all bolts except one were tight, so I pulled the stator rotor assy out and cleaned everything up and had a bud of mine tack weld the heads of the bolts down. You are past that though because your stator is trashed.
Don't know if you will have much luck with warranty issue on that now, you will have to replace the stator and rotor to the new upgraded unit which is not bolted it is welded together so what happened to you will never happen again. You might try and call the MOCO themselves and tell em what you got and the pictures, you might have to have the bike trailored down to the dealer after that to try and get it covered on hd dime. Or you could just buy a new stator/rotor yourself and not waist a month of down time and replace it yourself.
The bearing you speak of is the Inner Primary Bearing and you will find loads of threads on it here too. You got an 06 so most likely an issue on your bike, the fix came in later 06 when they resumed doweling the cases together to fix alignment issues. Some of the guys have trashed the bearing and had moco take it apart and replace the bearing and after a couple bearing replacements they will change your cases to the 07's so you could see if your bearing has damage too. A lot fo the guys are not installing the hd ipb though, they are going with the baker hi torque bearing that is suppose to be guaranteed not to prematurely fail like the hd ipb. Matter of fact I replace my hd ipb a year ago with an hd ipb but I just got a baker hi torque ipb that I'm gonna replace this weekend.
Look into it, check it out and let us know what the outcome is. Good Luck....

Old 03-17-2010, 11:36 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 161 Likes on 104 Posts

Yea Mark, I see the pics and they are pretty ugly. Your rotor bolts backed out and ground up your stator. You will have to replace both rotor and stator bud and flush out that primary real good to remove all remnants. Do not put it all back together without investigating the IPB which is over on the right side there, on the inner cover of the primary housing.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:40 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

ive heard that if the bike breaks down due to this the dealer is supossed to do the "fix" meaning upgrade the stator and put in a new primary case with the later 06-07 dowles new bearing and new welded stator rotor. ive got a later bult 06 super glide and so far im good, but if it grenades ill be in for the "fix" though!!!! these are known issues with the 06 and even 07 dynas lots of threads on these issues, check em out.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:42 PM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, common problem. I tack welded the bolt heads on mine before it grenaded like yours did. The replacement is a welded one piece unit. About $300.00 for the rotor and stator. The bearing is the inner primary bearing that rides on the input shaft. Best thing to do is get the upgraded Baker High Torque replacement.
http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/drive...htorqueBearing

Old 03-17-2010, 11:42 PM
markk
6th Gear

thanks guys- my bike just turned 20,000 right befor i parked it for the winter. does harley still cover that?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:53 PM
the blob
Road Warrior
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

these two issues are supossed to be on them. but some members say only if the bike breaks down. i guess if it dies and you have them pick it up then they do it as a warranty.
thats what ive read on here.

Quick Reply: 06 dyna Primary noise--- stator