Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Son of a *%**$ I found a problem with my Fatcat and my tranny bolts!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 01:39 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts
Default Son of a *%**$ I found a problem with my Fatcat and my tranny bolts!!!

So's I took apart my scoot to change out all the chrome covers to my new black powdercoated ones (I'll have a separate thread on those) and I found the two bottom bolts that hold the bracket onto the tranny where the exhaust connects were freaking missing......they were there when I installed the Fatcat so I know they must've come out since then. Anyhow, I also found that the rear brake pedal lever has been rubbing into the Fatcat and wore down the lever and gouged the damn Fatcat! Thank God it hasn't rubbed through totally. I'm gonna have a bead of weld put on the gouge, grind it smooth and paint the damn thing with black stove paint since you won't see it anyway. I have the Fatcat tab installed under the tranny bracket tab so I don't know if I had it on top if it would have been farther away or if the bracket is too short. I may end up making a bracket too. See pics.

Attached Thumbnails Son of a *%**$ I found a problem with my Fatcat and my tranny bolts!!!-005.jpg   Son of a *%**$ I found a problem with my Fatcat and my tranny bolts!!!-003.jpg   Son of a *%**$ I found a problem with my Fatcat and my tranny bolts!!!-002.jpg   Son of a *%**$ I found a problem with my Fatcat and my tranny bolts!!!-004.jpg   Son of a *%**$ I found a problem with my Fatcat and my tranny bolts!!!-008.jpg  

Old 09-20-2009, 02:15 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Sometimes when we install things we just do not look close enough to catch small things.
We look and think that's enough clearance and find out it isn't because we forget to go back later and recheck. It really is easy to do.
When I installed my pcv and auto tune I noticed my mounting bracket looked funny and checked by hand (the rear cylinder on true duals) looked and felt good. End up having to remove the rear cylinder to get the new 02 sensor in and found the bracket had been broke for some time.

You can handle it and perhaps this will help someone else out in the future.
Think I will go check mine just in case.

In God we Trust

dd

Old 04-01-2010, 10:53 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts

UPDATE-

D&D wanted the head pipe back so they could hook it up in a jig to make sure that the pipe was straight. Sent it back on their dime. They jigged it up and found the pipe to be what they described as "a little off" but they didn't think that would make it rub on the brake lever. They also found that the tab welded on where it connects to the tranny bracket was "bent" or miswelded. In short, they are shipping me a new head pipe at no cost to me. Pipe shipping today. Of course it is a 4 day jaunt from Fort Worth to VT and it will be 70+ degrees this weekend and I don't have a scoot! Oh well, at least I'm happy with D&D's service and response to the situation. I bought the pipe new back in 07.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 AM
pmcburne
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanx for the heads - up!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:58 AM
gibby122
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is stand up service right there man. sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad to hear its being made right.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 AM
DPete
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 1,735 Likes on 1,302 Posts

Had the same 2 bolts on their way, caught it because it leaked a little

Old 04-01-2010, 11:07 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Take a set a pipes off a bike in the service dept for the weekend. Shhhhh....nobody will know.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:33 PM
2009blackpearle
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default bolt rule on a harley

loctite on every thing.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:37 PM
ashmarc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad it worked out for ya dawg.......nice when things go that way every once in awhile eh?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

D&D customer service is kickass!

Try that with Winehart & see what ya get....

Quick Reply: Son of a *%**$ I found a problem with my Fatcat and my tranny bolts!!!