Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True-Track: What the hell?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:57 AM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default True-Track: What the hell?

I just visited the True-Track web site. Good Lord, they make the rubber mount Big Twins sound like death on two wheels. I can't believe these bikes are as unstable as that web site portrays them to be or else we'd constantly be reading about crash after crash, Harley would be in Chapter 11, and every rubber mount Big Twin ever made would have been recalled.

Bottom line: What's the story on this True-Track? Do you need one on a Dyna to have a safe bike, or what?

Old 12-20-2008, 12:26 PM
yso191
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me say up front that I am no mechanic or engineer. However my conclusion is that the key here is to make sure the rubber mounts are in good shape. This is what the Harley design relies on. The other aspect to this is how one rides. How Harley gets away with not being sued is that their current design is safe and reliable if one is riding somewhere around the speed limit for corners and such.

So with accidents that have been caused by this design, they can say: "Well, clearly we did not anticipate that someone would drive our bikes illegally."

So if you inspect your engine mounts regularly, and ride conservatively, I don't think you need True-Track. I do both, but I intend to buy it even though it is toward the end of my to-buy list.

Steve

Old 12-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

So basically, the True-Track is really only necessary if you ride the bike aggressively, pushing the limits in turns, etc.?

Old 12-20-2008, 12:41 PM
cornishman
Road Master

To have a safe bike ....no. To have a bike that handles better ... maybe , as i,ve not tried it i don,t know. Dynas wallow a little in the fast curves when pushed and better after market rear shocks and progressive front springs can lessen this and is worth the money if you "push on" through the twisties. Lets remember were riding 600 lbs + bikes here with limited ground clearance so they ain,t gonna handle like a sports bike. I ride ( in my opinion pretty quick ) and my Bob never scares me, sure it wallows a little but its all predictable and all the better for it. Some of us "older" guys raised on Avon speedmaster or is that slipmaster tyres and Jap bike frames with hinges in the middle etc know all about ****e handling. Take things for what they are and the rest with a large pinch of salt

The following users liked this post:
tbeatybeaty (07-29-2022)
Old 12-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Gwjvw
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will just keep up on my crap!

Old 12-20-2008, 12:45 PM
rhinoWErX
Tourer

I'd argue that you don't need to push the bike to it's limits to induce a pucker factor experience.

I know of three guys here in SoCal, all who ride FatBobs (with 31.0°/30.0° lean angle and good ground clearance), who also have lots of other non Harley (sports) bike experience that have all ordered a Tru-Track system

If you're local in the area, you're welcome to come over for the Tech Day - well be setting all the bikes up at the WerxShop

PS. we're not trying to turn these bike into sport bikes, but we do like a spirited ride. Pegs are cheap and the roads around here are great and varied...

Oh, yeah, and their website sux

Last edited by rhinoWErX; 12-20-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Dawg Rider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been on their site before and came away thinking that the danger warnings were over the top. Still, I've been planning for a while to go with one of the aftermarket stabilizers down the road. I've already upgraded the front and rear suspension which helped a lot, but I'm looking for a little more solid handling when pushing it hard. OTOH, I have to say that for the way most H-Ds are ridden, the stock suspension is fine.

18deluxerider (03-07-2021)
Old 12-20-2008, 03:51 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

I bought and fitted TrueTrack kits to my 1990 Glide and my wife's 2003 Dyna, earlier in 2008, also have a Firebolt, so our household has three Harleys each with a full set of stabilizers.

There is another thread here about TrueTrack you should read:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...rue-track.html

I am not going to repeat myself, except to say that all rubber mount Harleys, except the current Sportsters and Buells, have less than perfect handling, caused by the rubber mount engines.

The rear wheel and swingarm are fastened to the back of the gearbox. On a Dyna the only things that keep the rear wheel in perfect line with the front wheel are the front and rear rubber mounts. They don't do a very good job!

Your Dyna has a stabilizer link at the cylinder heads. What the TrueTrack kit does (there are other brands) is provide a similar link at front and rear of the power unit.

The result is that the bike steers and handles in a far better way than a standard bike. If you like the backroads you will travel faster and with greater confidence. If you prefer the interstates your bike will be more precise and responsive when you change direction. You will in any case feel more at one with your bike.

Go buy a kit and treat yourself to the experience of a lifetime!

Happy Xmas to you all.

Y2K (08-23-2023)
Old 12-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Lennyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile True track

I have had high speed wobble on my old Sportster. It use to snake down the
highway. I have not had any problem with by 2005 FXDX, and I push the bike hard into the corners. I have had front and back tire skipping around corners. I never open the bike wide open, because the bike mitt wobble at high speed runs. I am going to install True-Track stabilization kit. or steering dampener. For my own piece of mind. I had high wind problem on my Buell. Install a taller fairing which solved the problem.

Attached Thumbnails True-Track: What the hell?-newfairingimg.jpg   True-Track: What the hell?-mybuell3.jpg   True-Track: What the hell?-1971sporster1.sized.jpg  

Last edited by Lennyone; 12-23-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:30 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Stabilization in general

Many threads and opinions on this subject & not only every aftermarket manufacturer. When Eric Buell invented the new chassis/frame it had 3 stabilizers on it. When Harley got finished with the product it now has two. Harley has started putting on a third stabilizer this year. Their patent is located here. We are asked to testify in trials involving this problem at least once a year. We do not, have not, and have never. So there you go, your call. I don't care what you do or if you like/dislike them. Read HD history and think for yourself.

misfitJason (03-25-2017)

Quick Reply: True-Track: What the hell?