Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

flush oil tank and engine?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 10:02 AM
evil joker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flush oil tank and engine?

Hi, can anyone tell me of a good idea of how to flush out an engine and oil tank with out removal? Thank you all.

Mike

Old 01-16-2009, 03:14 PM
stroker1948
Cruiser

It depends on which kind of bike you have and the reason for the flush. If it's anything but a softtail and has a twin cam engine and you want to flush it because of a bearing failure etc. You have to drop the oil pan, because it has baffles in it and it's the only way to properly clean it after say a cam bearing failure. If it's a softail, then thats simple just flush the tank with clean oil you can even use kerosene if there is sludge in the bottom, just be sure and flush all that out too. All harley engines are dry sump type. So the oil will either be in the tank if its a softail or in the pan ( which is a seperate tank too). You many have a small amount in the cam chest , but that won't amount to more than a couple of ounces.

Stroker

Old 01-16-2009, 06:17 PM
mopardave
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is an option for flushing the oil out.
http://www.roguechopper.com/products.html
http://www.roguechopper.com/about.html
If you get the little tool that removes the return line (on a softail), you probably don't really need this kit. I would think you could flush out the oil with the filter in place and then change the filter.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:36 PM
evil joker
Novice
Default Dyna oil pan flush and oil pressure resolved

Hi everyone. Thanks for helping with all of the ideas on how to get the oil pressure up and running and to get the bearing dust out of the oil tank. I ended up removing the oil tank and cleaning it out all together. That was the best way without a doubt. The oil traps the bits like glue and solvent and scrubbing was the only way to prevent future problems. I also assembeled the oil pump incorrectly by accident in an exhausted stuper. When I reinstalled it and packed it with Vasaline I cranked the starter about 11 times for 4 seconds each and the oil pressure gauge started to move and I held the starter longer and the pressure went right up to 10 pounds. I buttoned it all up and started it up and got 45 pounds of oil pressure right away. The pushrods made a bit of noise for the first 5 minutes while making sure the motor was warmed up. Then, I rode it one mile to get gas and at about 1/2 mile the noise was totally gone. The motor is strong and sounds great. I can't believe I rebuilt is on my own with your help and cam and crank bearing pressing at the shop. Have a great one and until next time, Ride Hard.

Mike

mcdchiro.com
solridez.com

Old 01-20-2009, 12:42 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't forget to change your oil and filter at about 100 miles to get any other debris out of the engine. On a rebuilt or new engine I change the oil at 100 & 500 miles. There is usually visible metal at 100 and I do the 500 just to confirm there is not much more in there or something is not coming apart.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:20 PM
rocketmangb
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cut the filter open and have a look