Exhaust System Topics New and old exhaust system discussions. Fitment issues to sound bites and suggestions. Post them here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Jekill and Hyde

JESUS I need help from someone who knows

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:01 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JESUS I need help from someone who knows

Im sick of trying to figure out what the hell went wrong with this build. The harley shop here couldn't tell the truth here if it had to and I need a good mechanic that knows. I see a lot of guys on here with better dyno numbers than me and I got the same stuff or better , i thought.

Here's what I got - Harley's PRO PERFORMER HEADS. I was told this was the way to go to get good touring torque.

!0:5.1 Pistons. They told me this was the only way to get the numbers to 100/100.

103 jugs.

S&S 585 gear driven cams. They said it would give me grunt.

PCIII tuner.

Reinharts cause they said it was easiest to tune and give low end power.

They dynoed it and when they gave me the dam sheet i was blown away. Right where i needed the power most the curve actually went down and then up . I was like what the hell is this, do you people even know what your doing ?

So whats causing this build to not give me low end torque and what can i do to repair it without taking everything off and starting all over.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:28 PM
skyhook
Tourer

the biggest problem is the true duals...they do not produce good low rpm torque...the stock headpipes and performance slip-ons will do better...also you have cams that are mostly good for midrange and high rpm power...these two issues make for a double-whammy that hurts power below 3500 rpm

try changing exhaust first...a good 2 into 1 like supertrapp supermeg or d&d fatcat (quiet baffle) will help a lot also...they are about $600, which is why I also suggest stock headpipes with good slip-on mufflers

which performer heads do you have?

Last edited by skyhook; 12-21-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:32 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree. Duals ain't the best choice for optimum bottom end.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:42 PM
SEDELUXE
Road Warrior

it might be the tune . have you checked around for anothertuner and what ttype of tuning device are you using.
also i am not familur with what type of bike you have can you post model and year also
thank you

Old 12-21-2008, 11:33 PM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What size intake valves are in those heads, those S&S 585 cams should still produce low a decsent low end torque with the early closing intake and short intake duration.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:13 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 822 Likes on 587 Posts
Default Power, MIA.

The pipes are not doing you any favors, as already said.
Before we go and blame the tune, do you know what the ccp is?
That will allow insight into what isn't happening.
BTW, what were the dyno numbers?
Scott

Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 AM
NTrat
Banned

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
Im sick of trying to figure out what the hell went wrong with this build. The harley shop here couldn't tell the truth here if it had to and I need a good mechanic that knows. I see a lot of guys on here with better dyno numbers than me and I got the same stuff or better , i thought.

Here's what I got - Harley's PRO PERFORMER HEADS. I was told this was the way to go to get good touring torque.

!0:5.1 Pistons. They told me this was the only way to get the numbers to 100/100.

103 jugs.

S&S 585 gear driven cams. They said it would give me grunt.

PCIII tuner.

Reinharts cause they said it was easiest to tune and give low end power.

They dynoed it and when they gave me the dam sheet i was blown away. Right where i needed the power most the curve actually went down and then up . I was like what the hell is this, do you people even know what your doing ?

So whats causing this build to not give me low end torque and what can i do to repair it without taking everything off and starting all over.
Just by quickly glancing over your parts list, all I can say is your dealership sold you a bunch of mix n match parts.

A. The exhaust pipes dont give good low end torque.

B. The S&S 585 cams are midrange cams, a better low end torque cam from S&S is the 570G(and it will still get you easy 100/100 dyno # bragging rights)

C. Pro performer heads? Should have had your stock heads sent out to a good reputable performance shop................

Old 12-22-2008, 11:34 AM
chad peterson
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I 1st had an SE build & man I thought it was the sh**, till I got used to it & started asking Q's & calling a bunch of shops & ridin buddies bikes with non SE bulds. I finally realized my build sucked. I tried changin my SE cams to set of woods cams, which helped but not really meant to work together for the build I had. So I finally sucked it up & completely started over, starting by how much & where I wanted my power to go along with my ridin style. Made my cam choice based on that & had my stock heads worked for the characteristics of the cams along with what compession would work. Night & day difference!

Old 12-22-2008, 02:06 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

I thinkl the heads are whats hurting me, and that cams not right either. I trusted the harley shop to know what they were doing. But after I educated myself and started asking questions, I did learn Harley don't know s h i t about builds.
Im thinking im going to have to start over. Off with the heads and another cam. this is beginning to cost a lot of money.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:13 PM
NTrat
Banned

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
I thinkl the heads are whats hurting me, and that cams not right either. I trusted the harley shop to know what they were doing. But after I educated myself and started asking questions, I did learn Harley don't know s h i t about builds.
Im thinking im going to have to start over. Off with the heads and another cam. this is beginning to cost a lot of money.
Just trade/sell your cams for the S&S 570's, you should keep the loss down to a minimum here. If you still have your stock heads, sell of the SE heads, put that money back into the stock heads and have them set up for the S&S 570 cams.........you can make this an easy to fix mistake that wont completely rape ur wallet. Even with the current exhaust you will get a big boost in low end power. Hell sell off the exhaust, grab something like an RB LSR Black Hole 2-1 pipe and watch your jaw hit the floor when you twist the throttle.

Quick Reply: JESUS I need help from someone who knows